ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mechanics HElP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliverr99

PostPosted: 3/12/2008, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Mechanics HElP Reply to topic Reply with quote

I own a Nissan Xterra, 4x4, it shimmies and shakes when I drive it, not all the time, just once in a while. What could that be? Just an alignment, I am hoping! It is a 2002, 115,000+ miles on it. Please send me comments about your knowledge. Thanks!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/12/2008, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a non-compete agreement with my mechanic, he doesn't do my job, I don't open the hood of my car--works well.

Dean's Auto Repair
2242 N 32nd St
Phoenix, AZ 85008-2905
(602) 275-7636

Ask for Grant.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/12/2008, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uneven tire wear is a good indication of suspension or alignment problems. Look carefully at your front tires. Also, a rotation and rebalance would make the problem go away-actually shift to the rear axle if that was the cause.

115 is about when I might expect a pittman arm or ball joint to maybe get the yips on a 4x4. BTW, if you are still running the factory shocks on that Nissan, they were done about 50k ago. First choice Bilstein, second choice KYB.

I don't know anyone in Glendale. My front end work goes to Campus Brake and Alignment in Tempe.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/13/2008, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just an experience I had... As Randy mentioned ball joints.
I had an old car with 100,000+ miles. It shimmied and shook, including making the steering wheel shake. Didn't happen all the time, just if I went over 45 mph or hit a dip or any little ding in the road. Turned out to be my ball joints. So if a mechanic tells you that don't be surprised.

Hopefully it is just alignment or tires

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 3/13/2008, 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanics HElP Reply to topic Reply with quote

oliverr99 wrote:
it shimmies and shakes when I drive it, not all the time, just once in a while. What could that be?

If it shakes at just a certain speed (for example, between 60-65mph) it could simply have a wheel out of balance which would be an inexpensive fix. Your tire store might have given you lifetime wheel balance when you bought the tires. If so you've got nothing to lose by getting your wheels re-balanced to see if the problem goes away.

Bill
oliverr99

PostPosted: 3/13/2008, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks!!! I was thinking it could be any of those things, just wanted other opinions. I will be taking it in next week. I really do appreciate your time and knowledge!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/13/2008, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just bought a 95 Grand Cherokee today and it had some awful tires on it. One had a huge bubble and was actually arch shaped, the other had a 3-4 gas in the side wall. Shook something fierce between 45-60, wouldn't take it above that.

Found a used tire place today and replaced the two bad tires and the spare, $80 for 3 tires installed, not balanced though. Now I'm smooth up till 70, have some vibration there but 95% better than what it was. Will get the tires balanced and probably have an alignment done now, hopefully that will fix it.

Now just need to figure out how to pass emissions Sad Anybody?

Chin Scratching

PostPosted: 3/13/2008, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

O2 sensors, 2 of them- one on block at exhaust manifold and other one on backside of cat converter.
New plugs and wires.
get an air filter.
pressure test vacuum lines on injector.
add denatured alcohol (about 1 cup per 5 gallons gasoline)
pcv valve-get one

PostPosted: 3/13/2008, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

Now just need to figure out how to pass emissions Sad Anybody?

Chin Scratching

Tim,

Some inexpensive things you can do to increase your chance of passing is to replace the spark plugs, air filter, and oil. Make sure the vehicle is warmed up to normal operating temperature when it is being tested. I've seen gasoline addatives that claim to reduce emissions and have no idea if they work, but for $5 or so it might be worth a shot. I've also heard that premium fuel helps.

Bill
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Tim,
A new vehicle, how fun, yippe!!
I'll imagine you'll be testing it out and putting it through rigorous drives, knowing you.
I still like mine. Wish they were a little wider like the Tahoes, but mine suits me. Hope you enjoy it!!! Good luck with emissions.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you have a car that won't pass emissions no matter what, the thing to do is to get an address in a county that doesn't require an emissions test and register it there. Helps to own a piece of land or have a friend or relative in that county or something like that. There are quite a few Arizona counties that don't require emissions tests. Apache and Navajo counties, to name a couple of them.

I'm not offering my mailbox, mind you, I'm just telling you how to get around that law if you can't afford to rebuild your engine, etc.

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
If you have a car that won't pass emissions no matter what, the thing to do is to get an address in a county that doesn't require an emissions test and register it there. Helps to own a piece of land or have a friend or relative in that county or something like that. There are quite a few Arizona counties that don't require emissions tests. Apache and Navajo counties, to name a couple of them.

That will be most helpful for the air quality in Phoenix. Rolling Eyes
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I agree with the "fix it" items such as oxygen sensors and plugs/wires.
cheating Maricopa county air quality laws are not only unethical, its illegal.
O2 sensor might be the most common form of failure. (unless you have a carb-which you dont)

denatured alcohol does work depending on the amount and type of smog- I had told a guy about it that failed his Harley 3 times and then he passed. I also told him to buy a BMW instead but then he looked at me funny.

what i do
Tommy

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I just bought a 95 Grand Cherokee today

Congratulations!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/14/2008, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well it's got New Plugs, Wires, Cap, Air Filter, Oil Change.

I put some fuel additive/cleaner, premium fuel and may try and replace whatever other cheap stuff I can. Will also take it to get the codes checked "if any" the check engine light is NOT on.

Cheating the system is illegal and I will try and avoid it, but this is a 2nd vehicle for me. 1st being a fuel sipping clean Honda Civic. That will get 25k miles per year this will get about 5k, and most out of Phoenix where there are not emissions tests anyways. I just can't see putting $500 in a perfectly good running vehicle to get it to pass, heck that would be more than 1/6 of what I paid for it. Cross my fingers here and hope it passes.

Now to do some more research and try to replace some of these things myself.

-TIM-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: