ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Spot Sattelite Messenger
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 4/11/2008, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just like to let you know that the GPS hike of the Barbershop trail to Buck Springs cabin is still on the table. I think Shawn will go and that’s enough for me. Hope others will join the party. The date is not set yet but anytime in April or early May is good.

Suz, I don’t know what to do about your Mac problem. I haven’t paid much attention to that one but it doesn’t seem that most GPS units work with Mac. Maybe someone else has a solution for you.

I would hope all participants would have a mapping GPS like the Garmin 60CX or CSX or the 76CX or CSX. I will then supply a GPS file with the tracks included that can be downloaded to the GPS. These tracks were recorded by me so I know they are accurate. In fact they are available at www.gpsjoe.net for all trails on the Cabin Loop.

When we do this hike we shall follow the downloaded track and you will see how incredibly easy that is. And with good track following of an accurate track, you will be on the trail at all times unless, like me sometimes, you don’t look at the GPS often enough. That can happen to anybody but if it does, correcting back to the track is also very easy.

There are other ways of using a GPS. You will not always have an accurate track to follow and may need to navigate to some destination indicated by a waypoint, point of interest or track drawn from a map (which is only as accurate as the map which may indeed not be accurate or may be out of date). The accurately recorded track is the best of everything in GPS for hikers and that’s what we will have for this hike.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/12/2008, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz,

Get a program called "Parallels". It allows you install Windows and Windows programs. I'm not very familiar with it but several of my colleagues use it and are very happy with it. It's part of a crop of "Virtualization" programs that allow your system to host "virtual machines". A very good one is called "Virtual Box". which was recently purchased by SUN. They have a Mac version coming out soon. If it's as good as the PC and Linux version, it'll be another great option for you. Oh, VirtualBox is FREE whereas Parallels is not.

Most GPS units nowdays hook up to your PC via USB ports. VirtualBox has USB support so with a little tinkering, it should work just fine. I know that you Mac folks would rather eat glass than deal with Windows (I'm increasingly in that camp too!) but for now, that's the only OS that gets the lion's share of applications. It is changing, but still only slowely. Parallels and VirtualBox give you a way to walk in both worlds (or all 3 if you also use a Linux or Solaris OS).
Erock

PostPosted: 4/12/2008, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, If your OS is Leopard then you don't need any third party software to run windows. Boot Camp comes with Leopard and allows you set up your machine to run both OS's. I can't claim to know the ins and outs of how to do it though. I thought about setting up XP on my macbook when I bought it but haven't seen a need yet.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/21/2008, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WindyMesa from this board is rafting the canyon and carrying a Spot Messenger device. He put me in the "to" list and I've been getting an email daily. This is what you get:

Having fun, wish you were here. Click on the web address below for our location. Later, Dave, Dean, and Andrew
ESN:0-7346669
Latitude:36.1349
Longitude:-112.243
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:07/22/2008 00:52:35 (GMT)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=36.1349,-112.243&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Google doesn't do well without roads.
mikehikes

PostPosted: 7/21/2008, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh. There's plenty enough detail. He's at Crystal Rapid. Camped there several times.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/21/2008, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OIC< you gotta turn on the terrain feature. Thanks
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/21/2008, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How cool!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just went looking at the Kannad website and it looks like McMurdo is now doing their PLBs. Their PLB is the "Fast Find locator Beacon".

I did a little research for myself to figure out what type of PLB I would be interested in purchasing. Here's what I found. Your mileage may vary!

The Fast Find specs are similar to the ACR SAR Link View model above. Here are the Fast Find specs :

Specification Description
Suggested use Inland use
GPS/Satellite detectable Onboard GPS/Yes
Activation Manual
Location accuracy 0.05 miles
Time until SAR notification 3 minutes
Dimensions 4.17 x 1.85 x 1.34 inches
Weight 5.3 ounces
Material(s) Plastic
Water-resistance 10 meters
Battery type 6V Lithium metal (5-year replacement life)
Battery operational life Over 24 hrs. at -20C
Certification Approved by FCC; COSPAS-SARSAT; R&TTE

Now, here are the specs on the SAR Link :

Suggested use Inland use
GPS/Satellite detectable Onboard GPS/Yes
Activation Manual
Location accuracy 100 meters
Time until SAR notification 3 minutes
Dimensions 5.8 x 2.25 x 1.3 inches
Weight 8.9 ounces
Material(s) Polycarbonate blend
Water-resistance 16 feet
Battery type Lithium (5 year replacement life)
Battery operational life Over 30 hrs. at -20C
Certification Approved by FCC; COSPAS-SARSAT

Features

1) Screen displays a continuous stream of data when activated: confirmation that the beacon is working, exact GPS coordinates, battery power and correct deployment prompts

2) Optional non-emergency messaging allows you to send an "I'm OK" message along with your GPS coordinates to preselected email addresses (subscription required)

3) 66-channel GPS fixes your location within 100m; a satellite signal alerts Search and Rescue and a 121.5 MHz local homing signal guides rescuers to your exact location

4) Fully functional self-test of the circuitry, battery power and 406 MHz transmission gives you peace of mind knowing your beacon will work when you need it

5) GPS acquisition test mode allows you to test the GPS functionality up to 12 times over the life of the battery

6) Once activated, beacon will continue to transmit for up to 35 hrs. in typical conditions

7) Built to withstand years of backcountry use, SARLink View 406 is waterproof at 16 ft. for up to an hour and 33 ft. for up to 10 min.

They both look like either would be a great peace-of-mind investment. With similar specs, the extra features of the ACR SAR Link 406 View are what sets this unit apart IMHO. The great news is, between the SPOT, the Fast Find and the SAR Link units, there's a good variety of capabilities versus cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: