ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sierra Club
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Sierra Club Reply to topic Reply with quote

There political action aspect aside....

Has anyone done anything with the Sierra Club...I picked up a newsletter at REI on Sunday and was surprised at all the events they sponsor...

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I joined two years ago 'cause of their singles group; started getting asked for more bucks everytime I opened my mailbox, so dropped out......and singles club seemed to be for young Sid Hayes types.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did someone say singles club rofl

I have looked at their website, they do some neat hikes, but like you said, politically it just wouldn't work for me. I will refrain from saying anymore Laughing Laughing
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Sierra Singles Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I joined two years ago 'cause of their singles group; started getting asked for more bucks everytime I opened my mailbox, so dropped out......and singles club seemed to be for young Sid Hayes types.

I was about to join because of several friends/issues, but I can rarely hook-up on weekends, and every singles activity turned out to be on a weekend. Later, Jim.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I joined and have met a lot of great people on Sierra Single hikes (and the normal share of wierdos). The politics are hardly evident on the hikes or social activities, and my mail box is full of political junk mail so another piece or two does not bother me. Even if the politics are apparent, the system needs two ends to find a middle, and Sierra club is much tamer than some of the outfits out there.

There used to be more A and B hikes, now there are lots of C hikes. And it's a very participative outfit, if you don't see hikes or activities you want, lead some!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why bother with the Sierra Club when I have Arizonahikers.com? Hiking Mr. Green

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My son in law worked breifly for the Sierra Club. He quit because he felt they were hypocrites.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, I have not checked into the Sierra Club's offerings. So far I'm keeping pretty busy with my own hiking choices.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not single so I don't know anything about the Sierra single's club.
I did look into AOTC. Here is the link:
http://www.azoutdoortravelclub.com
(hope I didn't break any rules here by giving this link)

I attended one meeting, found it to be a nice group of people. But then I did Tonto Narrows and met HikerinGilbert, Newbie Hiker, Matt Gilbert and others, so I never persued AOTC. Not to say I won't go back and join one day, but right now my "hiking card" is filled.

PS, if I did break a rule here, I'm sorry. I go by the motto, "The more the merrier". Please pm me if I did something not appropriate.

Sherileeaz Cool
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now, all of a sudden, sheri's worried about her appropriateness???

I have never been on any of the SC outings, they cost too much for me. I am an SC member though and I always check out the trips they offer in the newsletter. Some of them look really cool, I wouldn't mind doing one of the service trips, but I don't feel the need to pay almost 400 bucks to go out and work my ass off. I tried volunteering but they wouldn't have me without my money so I stopped asking.

The SC does some good things, but they are hipocrites in some ways also. I'm thinking of joining the NRA to kind of balance things out.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 5:23 pm    Post subject: MATT... Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:

Well SON I should be setting a good example right? Too late! LOL! What fun would that be? Twisted Evil
Sherileeaz Cool
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:

(hehehehehehe nice dig Matt...)
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
matt gilbert wrote:

(hehehehehehe nice dig Matt...)

Tom, you are rubbing off on my son Matt. Stop it!! Wink

Can't wait for payback time!! muhahahaha!!

Sherileeaz Cool
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

PS, if I did break a rule here, I'm sorry. I go by the motto, "The more the merrier". Please pm me if I did something not appropriate.

Eek Amazed Chin Scratching Bang

Nah, seriously, it's no problem and not against any rules!! In fact, add it to the links section if you want. Nobody's going to get banned from here for mentioning other hiking sites... Rolling Eyes
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/30/2003, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

Eek Amazed Chin Scratching Bang

Nah, seriously, it's no problem and not against any rules!! In fact, add it to the links section if you want. Nobody's going to get banned from here for mentioning other hiking sites... Rolling Eyes

Ok, I'll get banned another way!!! *giggle*
Thanks Mike!! whew!

Sherileeaz Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: