ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fire from Rain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cakewalk

PostPosted: 2/27/2008, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Fire from Rain Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well.... You guys got your rain this winter. Happy? I Hope it was enough to replenish some aquifers. The drought-mongers shake their fists at the sky and say "it's not enough" or "too little, too late" Forgive them Lord, the rest of us appreciate it.

I was up on "Butt Mountain" today, It was so overgrown, I didn't recognize the place. You know, every familiar rock, you know where the pivot points are and can calculate every step. ( its real steep) I was not able to see anything familiar. Its a jungle up there. That led me to think about whats going to happen this summer, when things dry out and the hot winds blow, and the dry thunderstorms bring lightning. I hope I am wrong, but I think we are in for a significant fire season. Remember last winter? Pretty dry. Not much fire last summer either.

Its called a desert for a reason. A whole bunch of rain may not always be a good thing.

my $.02
threedogz

PostPosted: 2/28/2008, 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fire from Rain Reply to topic Reply with quote

cakewalk wrote:

I was up on "Butt Mountain" today, It was so overgrown,

Sounds like "Butt Mountain" needs to shave...
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/28/2008, 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fire from Rain Reply to topic Reply with quote

cakewalk wrote:
Well.... You guys got your rain this winter. Happy? I Hope it was enough to replenish some aquifers. The drought-mongers shake their fists at the sky and say "it's not enough" or "too little, too late" Forgive them Lord, the rest of us appreciate it.

I was up on "Butt Mountain" today, It was so overgrown, I didn't recognize the place. You know, every familiar rock, you know where the pivot points are and can calculate every step. ( its real steep) I was not able to see anything familiar. Its a jungle up there. That led me to think about whats going to happen this summer, when things dry out and the hot winds blow, and the dry thunderstorms bring lightning. I hope I am wrong, but I think we are in for a significant fire season. Remember last winter? Pretty dry. Not much fire last summer either.

Its called a desert for a reason. A whole bunch of rain may not always be a good thing.

my $.02

Having not been to "Butt Mountain" I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet all that overgrown vegetation you are seeing isn't an abundance of native plants (If it is, then you shouldn't worry much, native plants don't carry fire very well) it's growth from the non-native species that non-desert dwellers have brought here to make the desert "more like home" THAT's the stuff that dries out and spreads fire like wildflowers. Rolling Eyes

Even the desert suffers in a drought so don't blame the rain, it is a good thing.

my $.02 Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/28/2008, 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fire from Rain Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
cakewalk wrote:

my $.02

Having not been to "Butt Mountain" I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet all that overgrown vegetation you are seeing isn't an abundance of native plants (If it is, then you shouldn't worry much, native plants don't carry fire very well) it's growth from the non-native species that non-desert dwellers have brought here to make the desert "more like home" THAT's the stuff that dries out and spreads fire like wildflowers. Rolling Eyes

Even the desert suffers in a drought so don't blame the rain, it is a good thing.

my $.02 Ok

Well stated

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: