ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Coyote Buttes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 2/16/2008, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Coyote Buttes Reply to topic Reply with quote

I threw a few of the 200+ photos I snapped from last weekend into the gallery. Tough to get a permit for this place (for those that get them...) but it's definitely worth the effort. Still can't believe I had the entire place to myself the whole day.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/16/2008, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Super Sweet Sandstone shots! How were the roads?

I HAD permits once........but gave them back to increase my chances for the next day. Rolling Eyes
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/19/2008, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Terrific photos - it is one of my favorite spots.

You two have hit on one of the big problems with advance permitting- scarcity of permits, but no one using the ones that are issued.
There is no penalty for no-showing and no effective means of redistributing the unused permits even IF the managing agency were to be made aware of their non-use. (of course the agency offices are open M-F, 8-5) Aravaipa and C.B. North are two of the biggest culprits, at least in our area.
At C.B., I'm aware of the walk-up lottery, which, I suppose, is worth a try if you happen to be nearby anyway, but othewise, as far as planning a trip around it, it doesn't work.
Aravaipa's permits are generally sold out in the temperate months, but I've never seen more than 4 vehicles in the lot - and that's in the easily-accessible WEST lot.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Suz

PostPosted: 2/19/2008, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm thinking I saw something similar with my 2 trips to Zion last summer. I know they turned people away at the window but there is no way that everyone holding internet purchased permits were in the canyon.
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 2/19/2008, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was my second time hiking into C.B. North. On the first hike I saw other permit holders in the area, but nothing close the maximum allowable.

On one other occasion I had a permit but found out I wouldn't be able to go on the trip due to business travel. I couldn't find anyone who could use them (middle of the week) so I contacted the Kanab BLM office and offered to send the permits back to them so they could redistribute, either by adding to the daily lottery or by showing availability on the web site. They weren't interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: