ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Costco Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here I am last year on the South Bass Trail sportin' my 1976 A16 Hiphugger pack frame to which is attached a Frostline Kit (same year) pack bag.

I have a new internal frame pack and I hate it--I have never even taken it overnight--I have put some weight in it and trained with it but always end up taking the old pack. The old pack weighs less than an average internal frame pack (a lot more than an ultralight, though--I think it's around 3 lbs.) and is super comfortable because it never ever sags down onto my butt. I have lots of gear that's really old and have been contributing photos to the guy writing those History of Gear books. I love my old gear. Not only that, I have lots of gear to loan and used to be able to outfit half my son's Scout troop. My budget is slim and I buy new stuff that I want as I see fit and can afford it.

On my last trip there were two ladies who had bought and returned several expensive internal frame packs, and returned to the old Camp Trails because they were more comfortable.

At my son's new job, discussed elsewhere under "Hike, Backpack and get paid for it in AZ" they don't use real packs at all, but old military gear, basically some sort of frame, using two ponchos to wrap all the gear in and strap it to the frame.

Comfort is an individual thing of course, and everyone's budget differs a lot. However, you would be better off staying away from Costco and going to the surplus store, Goodwill or yard sales if you need to save money.
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Three cheers for the external frame pack! I thought I was the only one using one!
You know, being outdoors and camping is, literally, my life. It's what I do for my job. Having said that, I still don't have all this high-tech ultralight cutting edge gear. I've got a double-burner Coleman stove in my truck and a Costco 0 degree bag for car camping at work. Sure I've got better stuff for backpacking, but honestly I can't afford all those nifty (and sometimes pointless-seeming) gadgets.
The first time I went backpacking was in the PeFo with a school backpack from Target (no frame), an Army Surplus down sleeping bag tied onto the pack, a 4 person Kelty tent in its carrying case, 4 cans of soup, a two-burner Coleman and two cans of propane in a leather carrying case, three full days of clothes, and steel-toed work boots. I thought we were going to die, but it was such an awesome time after we set up camp. Rolling Eyes
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 2/17/2008, 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: gear rant Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:

just a simple complaint by Matt that the gear shown is overpriced and he thinks it's crap given the quality vs. cost. I wholeheartedly agree.

Me too!

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
ok, the crappiest thing I ever bought was a Eddie Bauer tent from Target. It had (supposedly?) sealed seams and a nice waterproof rainfly. That is until it rained from a monsoon driven thunderstorm that laid 2 inches of water on the ground in less than 3 hours. I was literally floating on my car camping air mattress- I took it back the next day or so and bought a Sierra Designs something-or-other. lesson learned "cut corners to save a few bucks so you can buy more beer, end up drowning"

Hmm I have bought a lot of crap over the years. Most recently It was the HIGHGEAR MP3 player and am/fm radio. The controls suck, earphones are pain full and there is no really good way to navigate through songs. I hate that POS. Should of bought an IPOD.

-Hunter S. Thompson
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/17/2008, 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When did you move to VA? My oldest friend lives in Alexandria.

So, are you getting in some hiking in the Blue Ridge or other areas? Also, I've spent a bit of time in Harpers Ferry WV and Blacksburg VA. Lots of hiking in those areas, and lots of swimming holes. I like swimming holes! The Cascades Waterfalls near Blacksburg used to be very remote, had a funky trail to get to it. Last time I was there it was all state-parkified. Wide paths, picnic tables, and definitely no skinny dipping allowed. Too bad. It was great there in the late 60's early 70's. I'm from Calif. and VA was SO very different than San Diego!
IGO

PostPosted: 2/17/2008, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My favorite pack is from Wal-Mart and cost $23 but I own $2300 worth of packs. Razz
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 2/17/2008, 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
Three cheers for the external frame pack! I thought I was the only one using one!
You know, being outdoors and camping is, literally, my life. It's what I do for my job. Having said that, I still don't have all this high-tech ultralight cutting edge gear. I've got a double-burner Coleman stove in my truck and a Costco 0 degree bag for car camping at work. Sure I've got better stuff for backpacking, but honestly I can't afford all those nifty (and sometimes pointless-seeming) gadgets.
The first time I went backpacking was in the PeFo with a school backpack from Target (no frame), an Army Surplus down sleeping bag tied onto the pack, a 4 person Kelty tent in its carrying case, 4 cans of soup, a two-burner Coleman and two cans of propane in a leather carrying case, three full days of clothes, and steel-toed work boots. I thought we were going to die, but it was such an awesome time after we set up camp. Rolling Eyes

It was only 2 years ago that I switched from my Kelty Super Tioga to the Mars. I used a straight frame external from WEstern Auto for 20 years. Rolling Eyes
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/17/2008, 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Truthfully, though I love my old A16, it has its limitations. It is terrible for scrambling/canyoneering type situations. I really would like to switch to all super-ultralight. Budget constraints. Getting a new career shortly. Signing up for school this week for it.

You just do what you gotta do. If you have a Scout troop full of boys from single-parent homes on the scruffy northside of Tucson, for example, you don't say "we can't go backpacking." You find stuff to use. You hit yardsales. You make it happen. You outfit everyone with a pack and sleeping bag somehow, you go to the store and buy Ramen noodles and store brand mac n cheese and french bread loaves and store brand peanut butter and apples and oatmeal. You tell the kids "no jeans" and "no cotton socks" but that's all they own, so, oh well. And you go backpacking. And you have more fun than you ever thought possible!
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 2/17/2008, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
When did you move to VA? My oldest friend lives in Alexandria.

In September.

I am about 45 min south of Alexandria.

Blue Ridge and the Shennadoah's have yet to be explored. Two new restaurants and two young girls means busy, busy. I hope to get out here in a week or two to check out my new homes back country. 0

Back to gear...

If old school works, more power to you. My first generation of gear sucked and was heavy, also CHEAP.

As my love for exploration grew so did my demands of comfort, performance and ability to go farther with less work. Basically, be happier on the trail. If it costs a little more. So be it.

It's all about bang for the buck. COSTCO only has that for toilet paper and dog food. Plus they have free snacks. Buy your core gear else were.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Sparkletron

PostPosted: 2/18/2008, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Given that consumerism has replaced civics as the national glue, I'm surprised we don't see more of these types of discussions. One problem is that our consumer vocabulary is still limited to describing someone as being either stingy or elitist, savvy or foolish, tasteful or tasteless, and doesn't reflect the myriad of buying strategies that are available to us.

I have a friend whom I shall charitably describe as being frugal. I once asked him how much he would spend on a flashlight. He told me he would buy the cheapest flashlight he could find, because he rarely uses a flashlight and doesn't require a particularly good one. I told him I would buy a good flashlight (and therefore likely expensive as well), because I also rarely use a flashlight, but when I need one it damm well better work.

-S
IGO

PostPosted: 2/18/2008, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sparkletron wrote:

I have a friend whom I shall charitably describe as being frugal. I once asked him how much he would spend on a flashlight. He told me he would buy the cheapest flashlight he could find, because he rarely uses a flashlight and doesn't require a particularly good one. I told him I would buy a good flashlight (and therefore likely expensive as well), because I also rarely use a flashlight, but when I need one it damm well better work.

-S

Ooooo. Good.
"Time flys like an arrow. Fruit flys like a banana."
Dean

PostPosted: 2/18/2008, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO:
Quote:
My favorite pack is from Wal-Mart and cost $23 but I own $2300 worth of packs.

Finally, someone like me. My wife's biggest complaint (and she isn't really a complainer) is "How many packs do you need?" (substitute tent, sleeping bags, water filters as you wish). My answer is always the same.
"I need all of them"

My favorite pack now is anOsprey Stratos 40,I love this pack. It goes with me everywhere now and even gets loaded up to use on my treadmill which I've used a lot with all this snow in Utah.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/osprey/stratos-40/
KFarm

PostPosted: 2/19/2008, 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow I go a way for a few days and look what happened.

I only brought up the Costco links because some of these items were discussed in previous posts. Like I said I could not recommend any of the items as I had never used them in the past and was merely providing information. I leave it up to each individual to determine if it is something they would like or not as I do not force my opinions upon others about something or anyone until I have experience it for myself. Like most things people buy we will all have our own opinions of what is good, bad, or just plain crap and if you ask me I will tell you mine, but as for these items I can’t because I have not used them. I am thinking of buying the Selk Bag because it has some things about it that I think are a big improvement on the traditional sleeping bag and would work for me in my situations. Once I get it and use it, I will promise tell you my opinion about it…

John Wayne
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/20/2008, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BTW I like your John Wayne quote.
sharrack

PostPosted: 9/25/2008, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed post but this subject is really subjective.
IMO.............If everyone who actually uses their outdoor equipment were the only ones purchasing from outdoor stores.........they would all be out of business.
I believe the real money is made on all the gadgetry and unneeded equipment sold to people hiking local trails and picking up plants at home depot on Sundays.
Much of it never gets used.

I believe the actual users are a small percentage of the market.

I agree.........Everest....yeah , I think I need some pro equipment with some serious R&D behind it.

Look at the hunting displays at Sportmans warehouse! Millions of dollars worth of equipment and gear sold when a good percentage of hunters get out once a year.

I'm out camping and hiking 75-100 days a year and I've used 15 dollar Walmart backpacks for 2-3 seasons. My girl just purchased me a Jansport airlift pack and one of the seams popped in a week. I like the pack so I repaired it . My buddy goes out 75% less and trades in his Kelty pack every year. Needed??????? I think not, but I understand it's part of the
REI culture. Thats just not me.

Nalgene bottles ?? I buy a few Powerade or Gatorade bottles and they are good for the season. Free!

If a pair of cheap 30 dollar boots fit me perfect, I'll buy 3-4 pairs instead of dealing with expensive boots that hurt or give me blisters. I'll wear a brand new pair to Cost Rica, wet them , make them stink and dump them
before I get on the plane.

I found a killer headlamp at Walmart for 20 bucks last year so I bought 3.
Now everyone wants one cause it rocks!

Nice zip off fieldpants can be found in most general clothing stores and if you hit them at the end of the season, most of mine were under 15 bucks.

With all of the expensive mini high powered flashlights out there, Home depot sells the best and brightest LED lights for 35 bucks and under.
And no, they don't use expensive batteries.

I've got a great wide and rigid brim, lightweight, floating field hat that I think is the cats meow. No brand name on it but I found it at Target for 5 dollars and no outdoor store has anything close even online..
I'd buy 5 if I could find them.

Anyhoo..........just another way to look at outdoor equipment.
I consider myself brutal on equipment so I pick and choose the right stuff to fit my needs. I've never needed to shop at REI but many of my friends do. It's all good but I enjoy alternative purchasing.

I've got to admit........that sleeping suit is goofy!

Kenny S>

Laughing
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/25/2008, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah ha! I couldn't agree more!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: