ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Costco Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
KFarm

PostPosted: 2/14/2008, 8:48 am    Post subject: Costco Gear Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am not recommending, just merely showing them as I thought they were a good bargain and Costco always sell decent stuff.

Bivy Tent $99.00

The Selk Bag $199.00

Lamp and Stove $44.99

John Wayne
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 2/14/2008, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Costco Gear Reply to topic Reply with quote

KFarm wrote:
I thought they were a good bargain.

Holy Moly. Somebody called me today to tell me about this post. I thought they were kidding. Are you kidding? A "good bargain?" How could you say that if you wouldn't buy this stuff yourself?

People, do some research. The lamp and stove are OK, but the tent and "bag" are complete pieces of crap and are barely worth $10 let alone $100 or more.
Tommy

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Costco Gear Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
KFarm wrote:

Holy Moly. Somebody called me today to tell me about this post. I thought they were kidding. Are you kidding? A "good bargain?" How could you say that if you wouldn't buy this stuff yourself?

People, do some research. The lamp and stove are OK, but the tent and "bag" are complete pieces of crap and are barely worth $10 let alone $100 or more.

Dude, I get your point. But come on ... Do we now have to meet some sort of outdoor elitist research requirement before posting gear deals?

Some people on this site think anything sold at REI is low quality and overpriced.

Some get completely outfitted at Wal-Mart.

Some spend countless hours online finding deals for top of the line gear at obscure outfitters or on e-bay.

Some have figured out how to sew their own stuff.

In regards to research and quality and cost, gear is a personal choice.

And I like the open forum where we aren't belittled for these choices or advertisements.

by the way, hike your own hike. Laughing
steve

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 12:49 am    Post subject: holy crap! Reply to topic Reply with quote

jeeze-louise, relax already! i don't believe kfarm meant any harm by his post maybe some of the items he mentioned in his post might be great for someones needs, skill sets and/or budget. sorry, for the interjection as i have never posted on here before but thought matts reply was a bit harsh. not everyone posting on here is a professional hiker. i've been reading posts on this site 3-4 times daily for over 2 years. BTW matt i have a lot of respect for most of your previous comments, feedback and accomplishments.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think we all need to let this post waste away into AZH history with no more posts
(and for the record, I'm on matts side, WOW)

Kerouac
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Costco Gear Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Matt Hoffman wrote:
KFarm wrote:

Dude, I get your point. But come on ... Do we now have to meet some sort of outdoor elitist research requirement before posting gear deals?

Some people on this site think anything sold at REI is low quality and overpriced.

Some get completely outfitted at Wal-Mart.

Some spend countless hours online finding deals for top of the line gear at obscure outfitters or on e-bay.

Some have figured out how to sew their own stuff.

In regards to research and quality and cost, gear is a personal choice.

And I like the open forum where we aren't belittled for these choices or advertisements.

by the way, hike your own hike. Laughing

Here, here! Yes

Matt, I gotta admit I was surprised and disappointed when I read your post. It didn't sound like the kind and considerate guy I have read on here in the past.

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heck I want that Selk Bag for car camping. I can see myself now sleeping in a chair somewhere, fire or no fire. Worst case I have a Halloween costume, little work and I could really look like Gumpy Smile Definitely not paying $200 for it though.

That is probably the ONLY stove and lamp your going to find for $45 though.

I hate bivy's so I didn't really even look at that.

Matt, one slightly harsh post in 384, I think we'll let you slide. Once you reach 10 per 100 or something more like me, then we need to talk Laughing
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, Ok. Maybe in retrospect that post is a little harsh. But I think you guys missed my point because I didn't take the "long-winded" approach when responding.

I am not elitist. I don't think there is anything wrong with outfitting at Walmart if that is all that your budget allows. Heck, with the slumping housing market directly affecting my job, I may very well be buying gear at Walmart soon enough. With that said, the equipment shown above is Walmart quality at REI prices. I want to see people get the most for their money, and the "bargains" shown above sort of go against that. I would hate to see someone buy that silly Selk Bag, only to realize that it weighs 10lbs, packs down to the size of a Volkswagon, and doesn't keep them warm below 60º. (That's really not that much of an exaggeration.) By the way, I am not pushing the "ultralight" philosophy either.

I want you all to have the best gear that you can get, because ultimately, having better gear means having a more comfortable (better) experience in the wilderness. Yeah, some of you will say gear doesn't matter, it's all about being with the wilderness. To that I say: Why do you even bother bringing gear then? I'm sure the equipment above will meet somebody's needs perfectly. I'm pretty sure that that "somebody" is not on this site.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This reminds me of I hike I did in the Superstitions back in December when temps were below freezing at time at my house (I think it had been about 18 degrees the night before). We ran into some folks that had wheeled their luggage/backpacks up the trail for about 4 miles. We made a little conversation and I mentioned the night time temps and they told me that they suspected it would be about 40 or 50 degrees. At that point they decided they would build a fire and a shelter....just couldn't stand to see what they had with them. It was a bit like an urban survivorman show in the works.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And that's just the thing: I think most of the seasoned folks on this site do not own and will never own some of aforementioned gear. BUT, to the hikers who may stumble across this site with no gear in hand and no clue what to get, Costco or Wal-Mart gear will definitely get you started, no doubt. There's no need to go out and start shelling out cash for gear that you haven't tested yet. Start small, figure out what you like and don't like, then start slowly making purchases. Gear helps, but until you do your homework, having the newest, trendiest, fanciest piece of whatever won't help. I applaud the old external frame packs, along with the non-ultralight gear-carriers out there!

Shoot, I carted around an old school pack (from Target), canteens, duct tape, a first aid kit, a lighter, and an emergency blanket when I first started out hiking. And there is nothing wrong with that. You learn after awhile what to add or subtract, but you have to start somewhere.

Quote:
by the way, hike your own hike
And at the end of the day, you've just got to do what works for you. If someone else can think of a cliche that we've forgotten, insert here please
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hey! you cant bring a wheeled device into a wilderness. I would have given citizens' arrest!
I dont know about a "good deal" for those items, that Costco "always" sell decent stuff either. Ive seen plenty of junk there, and now Ive seen more. Im thinking wal-mart is cheaper for the same quality

what i do
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 11:44 am    Post subject: gear rant Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've all owned bought gear that we no longer use because it sucks. Those of us that make gear, have all made gear that sucks. KFarm was just posting up some stuff that he found that he though we might be interested in, and apparently we are. The items posted above may not be for everyone here but for someone first getting their feet wet in hiking/backpacking/camping, it may be just the ticket.

I'll guarantee that most of us in this for more than 5 years probably don't use ANY of the same gear that we started with because it was heavy/cheap/bulky/unuseful. That doesn't make it junk anymore than we are and it doesn't make us stupid. We all have to start somewhere and if you start with a Coleman propane stove and you're happy with it and it works because you know how to use it, your wife knows how to use it and you can get fuel for it at Frys as you head out of town, then darn dandy for you! Hike on!

Also remember that some of us have chosen this form of recreation as just that, RECREATION. Not all of us have chosen to make it our lifestyle/everything we spend random thoughts on/spend all our spare time on etc. Not all of us can make our own gear or shop 18,000 different sites to find the lightest, most advanced, newly designed gear out there.
I say FARM OUT! to you if you can though.

I'm not trying to knock anyone here but we have to remember that we have all ranges and styles here from the Hooli's to the MikeInFHAZ's to the KFarm's to the Goats etc.

Who knows, that Backside bivy with fully taped seams, waterproof zippers at 2.2 pounds may very well be a great deal, does anyone here know? It sure looks interesting to me.

Also keep this story in mind...
About 6 years ago I ran into a group of three people that had been on a backpacking, overnight trip in Sycamore Canyon on the Parsons Trail. They had big flannel sleeping bags tied with cord, enamelware pots and pans, big leather hunting boots, big heavy packs and JEANS! They were crossing swift moving water and one person could barely walk on her own on the trail much less crossing the creek with her load. You know why?
She was blind. Cool
The gear doesn't make the person better, being able to get out there and your experiences out there does.

Now get out there and hike y'all.

</soapbox>

GTG
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
We all have to start somewhere

The gear doesn't make the person better, being able to get out there and your experiences out there does.

GTG

Wise words! The experience and travel count most for me and always have. I’m not saying that I don’t research and buy the gear that I find most useful and comfortable, the gear that does the job that it is expected to, but the experience is what it is all about. That will keep you going.

Okay I’m going to give you something you can really laugh at, or throw rocks if you like. LOL This is me at 11 years old. My folks took the picture and wrote the caption. I got that pack from a place called Yellow Front in Phoenix in 1963 or ’64 for 39 cents, Korean war surplus. My mom made the sleeping bag with two woolen blankets that she pinned together. Back then, Phoenix Metro was not bigger than LA like it is now. I could ride my bike across it and I did. My bike was a one-speed, not quite a Jeep but it got me places. It had a big metal rack on the back. Five years later, I would leave home with that same pack and never go back. I did have an inexpensive down bag by then and an SLR. What you do you become. LOL

So to those of you just starting out, do what you can with what you have (or what you need). The experience is what it is all about, the fine journey.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: gear rant Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
We've all owned bought gear that we no longer use because it sucks.

totally true. I dont think Matt is harshing on KFarm for making this post, nor am I taking a personal stand against him, mereley pointing out that the stuff for sale at Costco is expensive for what you get.
case in point: anyone with $200 can find a much, much better sleeping bag. That design is an old one starting with companies like Holubar and TNF (back in the day before the north face was bought out by Vanity Fair). The design never succeeded, it is still tossed around with varying features by some of the more obscure companies like Nunatak and Speer, but overall it never took off. Why? impractical.
Please, dont buy that thing. You might regret it.

this doesnt have to be/turn into a PC discussion over who owns what, what we use on the trail, how we/i/you have transformed our gear lists, its just a simple complaint by Matt that the gear shown is overpriced and he thinks it's crap given the quality vs. cost. I wholeheartedly agree.
Id like to see a thread started about the crappiest thing you ever bought. Then, we could all make fun of ourselves and others without insults.

ok, the crappiest thing I ever bought was a Eddie Bauer tent from Target. It had (supposedly?) sealed seams and a nice waterproof rainfly. That is until it rained from a monsoon driven thunderstorm that laid 2 inches of water on the ground in less than 3 hours. I was literally floating on my car camping air mattress- I took it back the next day or so and bought a Sierra Designs something-or-other. lesson learned "cut corners to save a few bucks so you can buy more beer, end up drowning"

bash away! Very Happy

what i do
wrongway

PostPosted: 2/15/2008, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike,

You shop at Target? I thought you got everything at Goodwill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: