ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
High clearance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erock

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: High clearance? Reply to topic Reply with quote

So when I read a description of a road leading to a trailhead and it says that a "high clearance vehicle" is required, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean it is something between a graded dirt road and a boulder strewn path? What is the minimum amount of clearance that qualifies a vehicle as being high clearance, anyway?

I wish there were some sort of a road rating system . . . kinda like what we've got for climbing . . .
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

high clearance varies with the person describing the road. I wish there was a system too. Many times I see a road to the T/H as rated "4x4 only" and anyone could make it in a 4x2 with newer tires. Its really subjective, and dependent on the weather, but in my opinion (Ive driven quite a few unpopular back roads) the rating to me seems that you would need at least a pickup-type clearance. Bout 9 inches to the ground seems reasonable. That means no mini van, mini cooper, or civics.
I just read a trip log that was arguing the recent condition of Rogers Trough road FR 172a and they claimed 4x4 only, but I was just there and it seems fine. I once saw an old cowboy dude in a Ford Crown Vic flying down that road about 40 mph. Must have been a rental! Laughing
Even some arguments were over the trail head road leading to Tortilla Ranch. Someone said you could do it in a 2 wheel drive truck, but I really dont see thats possible. I have a buddy with a Jeep Cherokee that could not make it over the steps. Really tho, long story short is driving is 90% driver skill, 10 percent vehicle.

what i do
Stomper

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: High clearance? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Erock wrote:
I wish there were some sort of a road rating system . . . kinda like what we've got for climbing . . .

Indeed there is one....

TRAIL LEVELS 1* TO 5*

1* Easy 2wd will make it, basically a maintain road.

2* Easy/med 2wd/4wd required for this road.

3* Med 4wd/locker/limited slip is required for this road.

4* Med/hard 4wd/lockers/lifted is required for this road.

5* Hard 4wd/lifted/lockers/big tires is required for this road.

There are more detailed and complicated scales, broken down even further but they are not neessarily more helpful.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

American_Idol wrote:
That means no civics.

Dang it! Well it does make it to 4 Peaks.

Like Mike said weather plays a big factor as well. What could be an easily passable dirt road when dry can be a 4x4 mud pit when wet.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stomper I drive a Honda CR-V. Would that qualify as a 2?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sacred_datura wrote:
Stomper I drive a Honda CR-V. Would that qualify as a 2?

Stomper's rating system is for roads, not vehicles. Your CR-V could probably drive a road with the "2" rating.
Erock

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting rating system, Stomper. I drive an accord and so that limits me a bit to where I can go, although I have tried to take my accord boldy where no accord has gone before and made it once or twice. I just wished there was more concrete beta on road conditions so if there is a rather interesting trail I want to try out 100 miles away I will know if I can get to the trailhead or not. I've had to turn back a time or two and that is a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback!
IGO

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm afraid I haven't used my High Clearance vehicle enough times to warrant sacrificing day-to-day usability of a full on road car. I was amazed at how un-safe a vehicle that best gets me up the mountain is on city streets. I'm going to miss my truck but I'm buying a new car this time.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Drive the original quad, Jeep Wrangler. Comes in earth tone colors so you can hide from the pesky fee demo folks.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I'm afraid I haven't used my High Clearance vehicle enough times to warrant sacrificing day-to-day usability of a full on road car. I was amazed at how un-safe a vehicle that best gets me up the mountain is on city streets. I'm going to miss my truck but I'm buying a new car this time.

yep. my off road vehicle (montero sport XS w/ lifted torsion bars, Bilstein shocks, limited slip diffs, 32" rubber, EBC brakes, AZ pinstripes) has seen just over 5K in two years. its best to have both. you can pick up an older 4runner or samurai for under $3K in very workable shape. truth is tho, over 80% of America's roads are dirt. drive accordingly!

"Drive the original quad, Jeep Wrangler. Comes in earth tone colors so you can hide from the pesky fee demo folks." Very Happy you can always mount a 50mm to the roll bar as well. that'll really keep them away. Bang

what i do
Erock

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, both is the way to go. I used to drive a truck and while I miss certain things about it the amount of money I have saved on gas has more than covered the amount of interest I have paid for my loan on my car. I'm in the market for something I can use for getting to the trailhead, preferably something cheap and reliable.
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A friend had a 70's VW Rabbit he took everywhere. Short wheel base can make up for low clearance if you drive carefully unless it's really rocky. Ironically his got totalled on pavement in an accident. He replaced it with a Subaru Forester (all wheel drive) and put a hole in the oil pan (ouch!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: