ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Houserock Valley Road effectively closed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/8/2008, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Houserock Valley Road effectively closed Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you are planning a trip up HRVR (BLM Road 1065) this weekend to the AZT, Coyote Buttes, Wire Pass, White Pockets, Buckskin Gulch, or any destination branching from HRVR, i highly recommend postponing the trip if possible. Recent snowfall from last week and the beginning of this week has begun to melt rapidly with the warming temperatures of the end of this week. Houserock Valley Road is impassible as of 2/7 as a through-route. The lower section between US89A and BLM Road 1110 is passable to a high-clearance 4x4 with low range. No Subaru Impreza or Chevy LUVs. Rapid snowmelt has turned the bentonitic clay into thick, deep, sticky mud. Several places have standing water, and control, even with a 4x4, can be difficult. The situation will likely deteriorate before it improves as melting snow will continue to make the road extremely wet for the next few days, especially in the higher elevations. Travel between US89A and the condor viewing ramada can be accomplished in a passenger vehicle with care, but should not be attempted beyond this point. Many of the auxiliary roads leading away from HRVR are completely impassible with thick mud and wash outs.
I will provide updates when i get back down there for work next week.

Also, if you are planning a trip up Cottonwood Canyon Road, it is closed for road repairs as well.
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good advice Rob. As you know I was in Page this weekend with permit in hand for Coyote Buttes North.

Here's an update as of yesterday - Travel on HRVR south from Hwy 89 to the Wire Pass TH was fine in the morning since the overnight freezing temps made the badly rutted road solid. The drive out was a different matter since the mud had softened all day in the sun. 4WD high in my 4Runner did just fine but the huge ruts added plenty of excitement. Controlling direction was a challenge.

That said, seeing Coyote Buttes dressed in snow was an incredible sight. There were no other hikers in this area the entire day!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pictures ?
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From the south today the road was rutted but dry all the way up to the turn-off for 4 springs. Temps were in the 50's and no snow was visible, so the road should be clearing up slowly...we'll have to see how the projected storm this week plays out though...
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So can I get to Rider Canyon...that is, if I actually wanted to go there?
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Probably. The roads leading south from US89A are generally on the hard Kaibab with not as much sediment that can absorb water on top. However, I have not driven down towards Rider/Buffalo Ranch/Saddle Mountain since this storm, so i don't have any direct input about their current conditions.
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Update:
HRVR up to Four Springs turn-off is rutted but dry. According to my coworkers who have driven further up the road, beyond Four Springs the road is rutted and muddy and very slick. I would recommend not driving any further than Four Springs without high clearance 4x4. I'll update again after this next storm we're supposed to get up here this weekend.
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/20/2008, 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yet another update. Drove the road yesterday to its junction with 1110. Rutted but dry. Saw a Subaru go up the road and it came back down later in the day, apparently unharmed. I don't know how far up it went. The road appears to be open all the way through, for as I was turning off of HRVR a caravan of Jeeps, one FJ Cruiser, one Range Rover, and a late model Toyota pickup passed me coming down the road from the north. They didn't start from the bottom, so I'm assuming that they must have been coming from US89.
george.steel

PostPosted: 2/27/2008, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We made it to the Wire Pass trailhead Tuesday 26th. Left it late to go in (9.15) very slippery.Met two cars and an Isusu trooper coming out just before the creek crossing and they advised us to turn around. We used the bypass at the creek and carried on slowly. Did the wave and came out at 14.30 when the road was suprisingly dry and easy to drive on. At the trailhead the only vehicles were Mitsibushi Montero(came in early hardly any mud on tires, large Nissan pickup(he got stuck at creek crossing just before we came in) and our little Ford Edge. Smile
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/27/2008, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

was that a red Montero Sport? Wink

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: