ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
DSLR's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay wait. I'm not new to the digital SLR world....been here for a couple of years. Just upgraded to the latest and greatest but still working with the same brain cells and memory capacity (personal and computer)

I might just be having a problem with iphoto reaching it's capacity. It stopped and froze up before bringing all the images in. This has happened B4 but usually I can pull some images out iand store on an external drive and then I can get the other images off the card.

My graphic converter has opened RAW files for me before. I just have these small .cr2 images that don't have jpg files and I can't seem to do anything with them. I'm pretty positive that the are the shots taken from the plane.

Derek, you are ALWAYS welcome to hold a class at my house. I'm always game for that. You'll just have to bring your own participants though because I'm the only person I know that is this confused. Crazy

oh wait.....just got a PM...apparently there are at least 2 of us that would be there. Wink
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, you should have a disk that came with your 40D called DPP, digital photo professional. That will read and demosaic the 40D raw files. Download the DPP and browse to your files. It will see your raw images. If you need more help let me know. DPP is recognized as a very good converter for colors. You can use it and then send it to Adobe PS 7.0 as a 16 bit Tiff and finish it there.
dabreeze

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt's got it just right. It's been a long time since I've used DPP (actually now that I think about, never) but it's recognized as a very good RAW converter, albeit fairly simple in features and a bit clunky as an interface, . For actual color rendition, some will argue it's the best you can get, being that it's Canon software for a Canon product.

ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) will allow you to get a lot more from your RAW files, most importantly two very useful highlight and shadow recovery sliders (recovery and fill light) as well as a much more sophisticated set of saturation, sharpening & contrast/tone controls. In the DSLR world, it's considered the bee's knees.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
See what happens when you step over the "point and shoot" line? Film wasn't much different was it.

Film would have cost us $6,747 last Saturday.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay I've concluded that 70% of my problem is the computer. DVD stuck in the drive that the computer won't recognize and I can't eject it, Full hard drive space messages, no more application space messages (that's where I think iphoto is tugging things a bit). just pushed this thing over it's capacity. iphoto and imovie together are hogs. So I can't put in the a software/cd that came with the camera until I resolve the hidden dvd issue and so on. Can't pull any of the 11,000 photos out of iphoto and store them on an external because of the other issues. I just need to take a day or two and resolve this stuff one problem at a time.....with the help of the MAC guys I guess and then try to pull the images off the card. Of course each picture is more mega pixels now so that's going to be eating up space, too.

Thanks for all the info. You guys are amazing resources and a huge help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try using my "other" computer and see how it goes..........running smoothly so far.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Most DVD drives have a pinhole below, or near, the door. Stick a paper clip into that hole and it'll pop the drive open. Do you have any USB or Firewire (or even eSATA) external drives? If not, I highly recommend that you pick one up. You can get a pre-built 500GB drive for around $100.00.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, think I'll just stay a point and shooter. Frustrated enough with my computer at times with the simple stuff.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh yeah........already looked for one of those holes.......not neither of the laptops has those. Yep, 500GB external.....nearly used all the space there, too. (70GB left) It's the movie thing and all the special effects, I'm sure.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A friend of mine just got an external hard drive of one terrabyte for about three bills. He's into making maps.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you have an old drive laying around collecting dust, you can buy an external enclosure for about $25.00 and build your own external USB/Firewire/eSata drive. I just built one for home use with a spare 132GB drive. Easy to build... works great!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/13/2008, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not quite a terabyte but for 1/2 the price of one get a 750 Gig for $160.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5382878?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 3/7/2008, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is your terrabyte for a great price.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5496159

Hello all from FL!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/7/2008, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember the outfit I work for paying $1,000 for a twenty megabyte hard drive that sat under the Mac SE, and we thought we were in hog heaven to have it.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/7/2008, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just bought a 1/2 T for $140
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/8/2008, 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try Pricewatch.com Here's an example of some less expensive 500GB internal hard drives: http://www.pricewatch.com/hard_removable_drives/sata_500gb.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: