ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
DSLR's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 2/6/2008, 7:12 pm    Post subject: DSLR's Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about the Canon 40D?
IGO

PostPosted: 2/6/2008, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You have mail.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/8/2008, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DSLR's Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
What about the Canon 40D?

I think that is the best choice in cameras today. You might never need another camera if it does not break. I am still using my 20D after more than 3 years. Get the 40D and the Canon 10-22 lens. It will take care of all of your canyon images and landscapes and give you the very best quality. That camera will capture a range of light that you will not believe and has very low noise in the higher ISOs.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/8/2008, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep!
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 2/11/2008, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

help!
I've got images on a card that are .CR2's that I'm not sure how to view or do anything with them.

I can't pull them in through adobe and my graphic converter won't recognize them either. i also tried typing .jpg over the extension (that sometimes works on a mac) and still no luck. They are all of my shots from the scenic air tour and i'd really like to see them. I'm open for suggestions.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/11/2008, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know what those are Susan.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 2/11/2008, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try downloading Irfan View: http://www.irfanview.com/
It's a free download, and it can open almost any image file. I checked and CR2 is a file type that this program supports (along with about 100 other file types). Plus it's kind of a cool program anyway.
dabreeze

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz,

Welcome to the world of very high quality digital imaging!! The CR2 file is a RAW file which is simply the binary digital data that your camera captures. It's a huge advantage after some additional software processing because it allows you to retain all of those precious megapixels, control white balance, do sharpening, saturation, and other image adjustments where they are best done (your powerful desktop computer and Photoshop). You'll need a RAW converter (the newest Photoshop Elements should have support for the 40D; while expensive, CS3 is the best to really take your photography to the next level) and a few tips initially on how to process RAW files into TIFFS.

OR . . . you can simply set your camera to shoot the highest quality JPGs and let the camera do the processing. The in-camera processing (conversion from RAW data to full color picture file + preset color balance, sharpening, saturation, & contrast) is quite good but you do lose control over many important aspects that are the key to the highest image quality. You'll also lose quite a bit of that precious data with the conversion from in-camera 12 bit processing to an 8 bit JPG along with JPG's lossy compression too.

Still, if web files is all you really want, high quality JPGs will do just fine. DSLRs offer huge increases in image quality, especially if you're after high quality prints as one of your final outputs. BUT, and this is a huge but, there's a considerable learning curve involved in order to get the most out of your new toy!!

If I can help, you always know you can ask.

DvB
Suz

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, I took a 4 gig card, set the camera on the largest RAW file possible and shot 191 pictures, or so i thought. in a scramble for more card space I deleted some photos. I adjusted the saved file space to the smallest RAW file and got myself space for another 27 photos for the plane ride. I took those pictures, previewed them and deleted anything i didn't think looked good in order to save space on the card for additional photos. So i shot the pictures, reviewed them and KNOW they are on that card. When i attempted to download the card into iphoto 2 images were coming in for each photo. The computer suggested that I had 512 images to download. Apparently one might have been a jpg and the other in RAW, or so I thought. Now my iphoto isn't working (11,191 photos seems to be making the program crash) There are a bunch of images that don't have the jpg files and are just the .cr2's. I thought those might have been the smaller images I took from the plane. Are you suggesting that it might be the leftover guts (date and binary data) from the images that I deleted?

I have adobe 7.0. And can pull any of the images in that way.....except these CR2's.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So the files won't import to iPhoto? That's weird. Apple is usually good at keeping their programs updated to support the latest and greatest gadgets. I'm sure iPhoto could support RAW files from a 40D by now. I have no problem importing RAW file from my Nikon into iPhoto. Plus, when I export the photos into a Pictures Folder, it automatically converts them to JPEG.

Does your version of Photoshop have Camera Raw? Try to open another RAW file with Photoshop and then you'll know for sure. Of course, I suppose the Mac (you have a Mac right?) wants to use iPhoto to import photos no matter what. I just got a Mac about a month ago, and I'm still figuring it all out.

Also, I didn't realize that there is not a version of Irfan View for Macs. Bummer.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz,

When you ran out space - you set your camera to shoot only raw (or may be even sRAW)-- so you will have to have a raw decoder to get to those pictures. All the images shot in Valley of fire were RAW+JPEG

Make sure you set you settings back to RAW+JPEG
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reformat the card before using it again. This will clean it up and may remove some stray bits.
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
Reformat the card before using it again. This will clean it up and may remove some stray bits.

That fix worked for me in the past too (for my Canon XTi).
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

See what happens when you step over the "point and shoot" line? Film wasn't much different was it.
dabreeze

PostPosted: 2/12/2008, 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz,
PS 7.0 definitely won't have support for the new 40D. But the good news is the upgrade path to CS3 is, for Photoshop products, relatively inexpensive. Have you checked online to see if iPhoto has an update that supports the 40D CR2 files? So are you ready yet to sponsor an Arizona Hikers DSLR workshop night at your house? I'll come down and teach for an entire evening, RAW conversion, PS adjustment layers, sharpening, color management, camera set-up. Say $50 a person!!
DvB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: