ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cross Country Skiing Today at Pole Knoll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/2/2008, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Cross Country Skiing Today at Pole Knoll Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pole Knoll conditions were very good today. I have never seen so many people there trying out the sport! Not to worry, though, you'll see the cars and people at the trailhead, but there are so many loops and sub-loops there that we didn't see a soul after we left the trailhead.

Noon/afternoon snow can be sticky. I stopped twice to spray the (no-wax type) skis with silicon spray. It really does work wonders, and doesn't hurt your skis. Buy it at any hardware store.

I'd say there is more than two feet of snow on the ground up there, in places. Probably 3 feet in some areas. Very windy so we stuck to the forested area. One reason the conditions are so good is that the snow in most areas is very packed and will hold your weight, yet isn't icy. You can ski right along on top of it, even where there are no former tracks. So breaking trail is not difficult. And fast, oh boy! I went yesterday, too, late afternoon when it wasn't so warm, and the surface is very fast, without being too slippery.

There is a little kiosk where there is a sign-in log and maps (maintained and re-stocked by none other than yours truly because the FS dropped the ball.) I checked, there are still plenty of maps. Pole Knoll map on one side of the paper, Squirrel Springs on the other. Squirrel Springs is over off of Hwy. 373, the Greer road. Maybe I'll go there tomorrow. I have never skied there because it doesn't hold snow as long as Pole Knoll, and every time I've stopped there it has had bare spots. But maybe now it will be better. I'll just have to check it out!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/2/2008, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, I love to read your ski reports! You show such enthusiasm and excitment. You can really tell you love the sport of x country skiing! One day.... one day I will get to try this! So many things to try so little time!

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/2/2008, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Come on up and try it! I'm free on most weekends. We'll be getting another storm tomorrow, probably.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/2/2008, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great write ups on you snow adventures ... Very Happy Nowif could transport instantly -- I'd be up for some snow time
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/2/2008, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More snow on the way! Come on up!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/9/2008, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went up again today. It's just amazing. Got there around 9:00, skied for about an hour and a half--had things to do later on in the day. With the warm weather the snow gets really sticky by 11:00, so earlier skiing is good. I headed up the Pole Knoll loop a ways, to the west, uphill all the way, then got to swoop down! Fun! Fast conditions, kind of icy in places.

The nice thing about this snow is it melts and runs down the Salt River. First you ski on it, then you raft or kayak on it!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/10/2008, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And then we drink it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/11/2008, 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny, lzyboy just pm'd me and pointed out that Pole Knoll is right on the divide, and its snows melt into creeks that feed the Little Colorado. Which runs into the Big Colorado in Grand Canyon. Which you also drink, via the canal system, if I'm not mistaken? Or is it Tucson that got stuck with that water? I grew up in San Diego, drinking that Colorado River water. Has a very blechy taste. Yuma drinks that too. To be more accurate, they all drink bottled water because the tap water is so nasty!

I didn't get up there to ski yesterday--went for a walk instead out in the grasslands area. It was pretty warm. I should have gone for a bike ride to see if I can still remember how to ride a bike! Rolling Eyes I think today, though, I have a Search and Rescue training meeting (Apache Rescue Team youth group, NOT Sheriff's Dept. Please!) and we are going snowshoeing. I'll try to remember to bring the camera!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: