ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2008 PF Changs Rock 'n Roll Marathon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 10:29 am    Post subject: 2008 PF Changs Rock 'n Roll Marathon Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, Scott, and I all ran 26.2 miles yesterday along with about 7000 others in this Phoenix marathon.

I can't speak for the others, but for me, this was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done.

Or maybe I should say, miles 21-26 were the hardest thing I've ever done.

They always talk about hitting the wall. And I always said, "yeah, yeah, whatever, I'll just tough my way through it." Well, the wall hit me like a ton of bricks and I wasn't toughing my way through anything. It was a strange sensation. I was completely lucid. Lungs felt fine. I was smiling and waving at the people watching. I truly wanted to run. But my legs just refused to go. They simply told me what I was doing was absurd, they wouldn't work for me anymore, and turned to Jell-o.

It was all I could do to avoid walking at the end.

My final time 3:39:32. I'm pleased that I accomplished it, but don't know if I ever want to do it again. we'll see Smile

Congratulations to Scott and Tim for doing this also. Especially Tim, who I understand had never run more than 8 consecutive miles before. That kid is tough! (or insane Rolling Eyes ) I'll let them post their times and stories if they want to.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes it was a wonderful day for a run yesterday. I'm not sure why I really signed up for it looking back at it. Initially I was going to just sign up for the 1/2 marathon as I am not a runner, nor have I done any training for a distance event. I remember Tommy telling me how he ran the 1/2 last year and how he saw people finishing the whole marathon and thinking "if that guy could do it, I could do it", I didn't want to think like that for a whole year.

Then once I was set on signing up, it was $100 to sign up for the 1/2 and a $115 for the whole. So I decided to sign up for the whole, with my initial goal being just finishing the half. Well after talking to some people and reading up them and whatnot, I didn't want a DNF (Did not finish) on my record, so I wanted to finish the whole thing however it may be. The time limit was 7 hours then they throw me on a bus to the end, my goal was 5 1/2 hours.

The night before I was neverous just like the night before a big hike. Going through the checklist in my head of things to do the next morning. No backpack to worry about this time. But forgetting to apply something like body glide could make for a very bad day of running. Ok, it's the morning of, Jen was dropping me off so I didn't have to worry about getting down there 2 hours early to catch a shuttle. I get there about 20 minutes early and drink some exeleraid and down a 1/4 of a bagel.

I was in corral 10 (out of 12) so had a few minutes after the gun went off, no sense in trying to run up there as your shoes has a chip tied to it so when you cross the start line that what time they go by. For being 7000 runners I never felt crowded or elbow to elbow with anyyone.

By mile 1 I already had to go to the bathroom, waited a few minutes at the first set of John's for one to open, after that I was good to go for a while. They do have pacers hold up signs with projected finish time so I found the 5:00hr guy and ran with him (and group) for a while, really steady slow pace, after a few miles they started to walk (don't know if it was for a minute or a mile), but I wasn't feeling it, so went on by. They had water and aid stations every 1-2 miles and I usually drank 2 1/2 full exelerade glasses followed by a cup or water.

Jen met me at mile 9 near the biltmore mall (what a coincidence) a quick hi and I was off and running again. Was feeling pretty good at that point. Miles 6-13 I was keeping a sub 10 minute mile, which is a bit faster than I had planned or hoped for.

1/2 Marathon point, 2hr15min, I've just ran longer than anytime in my mile and I'm only half way done. Within a mile of crossing the 1/2 way point I start getting a shooting pain in my right foot. I said to myself "You knew you could "Fake It" through the 1/2 but to finish your going to have to work for it". Lack of training was going to cost me from here on out. I had just read Dean Karnazes book "Ultra Marathon Man" last week and remember what he wrote about pain and how it comes in and out at times. So I knew If I just stuck it out hopefully be able to work through it. For the most part that seemed to work. Some really bad 1 mile stretches but then i would have a few miles w/o really noticing it.

I never really ran fast enough to get myself out of breath, didn't want to burn out. Up around mile 18-19 I was beat. I felt thirst in between water spots but after I would drink up my stomach would feel a bit upset. Saw Jen at mile 20 and she gave the gel I left in the car. I had brought two along with me and had them around miles 6 and 12. The first Gel point was mile 19 I think, had another one then. My stomach felt a bit unsettled after each one, but usually got better in 5 minutes or so.

I took the last gel (#4) around mile 23. Knew I only had a 5K to go, now that was a run I was familiar with. It was so tempting to start walking at points and I did for a minute or a so just a few times earlier in the race. I would do the math with the mileage left and convert it into hiking time and I just wasn't happy with that answer. I'm finally down in tempe and only have a mile or so left. I see Scott walking back since he finished a while ago, he ran with me for a few seconds and it was good to see a friendly face, told me I could do it in under 5 hours.

It's funny how ones goals can change in just a few weeks, I went from doing a half marathon, to signing up for the whole marathon and just seeing how far I get, then to finishing, finishing in 5 1/2 hours, and after I finished the half my new (secret) goal was breaking 5hrs. I was close, but how close I did not know as the times at the mile markers were from the gun not actual chip time. I had a pretty good clip going that last mile and I wasn't leaving anything else in me. I always like to finish strong and was sprinting (ok my version of a sprint after 26 miles) the last straight away. 4hr 54 minutes was the clock time, later found out the chip time was 4:49. Even got my "secret" goal of breaking 5 hours.

My Cubs hat goes off to Tommy and Scott who actually trained for it and completed it with awesome times. Scott can be the "pacer" for future hikes with perfect 8:40's miles across every checkpoint.

Thanks to those of you who gave me some advice, laughed at me and gave me an idea that I could actually do it.

Hmmm.........What's Next Chin Scratching

-TIM-
sbkelley

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim and Tommy,

Great job by you both - it was, as you say, good to see some familiar faces in that sea of people.

First off, what an event! It was so great to see that many people at the line, on the course, at the aid stations, all the bands, and the finish line scene. It was impressive how upbeat the whole community was along the way and all the encouragement definitely gave me a boost throughout.

My goal coming in - never having done one before - was to break 4:00. Early on, I found the 3:50 pace guy and decided to stick with that crowd. For the first 8 or so miles, I did, but felt I could push slightly faster and as the race progressed, pulled away ever so slightly to get 3:48.

To me, the hardest part was between miles 10-14. I started cramping up and slowing down, but took a Powergel and told myself I could do this thing, and then settled into an 8:44 pace that I was able to keep all the way to Tempe. Never hit the wall, and I'm surprised I didn't, just had to keep telling myself I was getting closer with each step. Great event and congrats to all finishers!
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go guys! Finishing a marathon is something to be proud of. I know my SF Marathon in 1984 is one of my proudest accomplishments. Ok
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats. to the three of you Beer Beer

Tim, I really enjoyed reading your account, how are your legs feeling today?

Quote:
Or maybe I should say, miles 21-26 were the hardest thing I've ever done

Tommy, I agree with that quote whole heartedly, I really had to dig deep mentally during that same strecth, for that very reason, when I ran mine in early December. Aerobically everything is cool as could be, but the legs just don't want to cooperate. I knew you could do it and a heck of a time to boot.

You'll do another one, if not a marathon you need to do an ultra where your out running trails.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice job guys! Applause

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great Job!! I was going to do the 1/2, but I am a walker. I am training to do a half marathon this May, in Colorado. I do want to run. I know those marathons are hard. What a great accomplishment. The Valley of the Sun Half Marathon is coming up....Tim?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Tim, I really enjoyed reading your account, how are your legs feeling today?

Well Kent, legs and body feel pretty good, but feet are no better than yesterday. Don't think I'll be playing softball tomorrow night. My left foot is hurting more today than yesterday, I think compensating for the right foot for half the race is catching up with me.

Valley of the Sun 1/2 Marathon....March 9th it looks like. We'll see how the next month or two go.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/15/2008, 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go you guys... I could walk but never run. Knees wouldn't let me if I wanted to.

My Hat goes off to you !!!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/15/2008, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way cool you guys!!!!!! Yahoo! After having done the 1/2 last year I know there is no way I could do the whole enchilada! You guys are awesome!

I want to shine!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/15/2008, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great job, all!Kudos to anyone who can run that far!!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/15/2008, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way cool -- Congratulations to you all !
IGO

PostPosted: 1/15/2008, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good for you. You guys did well.
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/16/2008, 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome job Tim, Scott and Tommy!

It was nice reading about your experiences during the race.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/16/2008, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: