ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Black Mesa Loop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Black Mesa Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did the easy 9.3 mile loop of the 2nd Water, Black Mesa and Dutchman's trail this morning. Just wanted to note that there is a lot of water in the streams along the trails especially in the last half mile of the Black Mesa trail approaching the Dutchman's and along the Dutchman's trail as well. In fact we had to rock hop acrooss at least a dozen stream crossings.

This is only the second time in 10 years that I have seen so much water there. The water was a pleasant surprise and the cool temps made this a nice hike. One camper had a tent near one of the streams there but there are hundreds of places along streams where one could camp. I do believe the water will easily last through this weekend.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My first trip to the Superstitions was in 1997 or so. We heard Boulder Canyon before we saw it.
wrongway

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I was planning on hiking Second Water to Boulder Canyon tomorrow anyway. Now, I can't wait!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember a GHOTM a few years ago that sounds very familiar to this. It was after a few days of rain, and it's amazing how many washes were running that you normally just prance through when dry. It was really fun rock hopping the streams on that route that day.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember that GHOTM from a few years ago!! All that running water was almost disorientating once we got into Boulder Basin. I'm too used to seeing it dry as a bone.

Might have to get out there on Sunday to check it out.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Take me, take me!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A post-party hike in the works?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/14/2007, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Take me, take me!

I assume that one of those "take me's" was from you and the other from Sadie. Yes, I'm planning on going and am leaving at 8:30 AM so meet me at the TH if you want to take a walk.

We need to introduce Sadie to the magic of "warm, green stuff" on the trail.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Yes Yes

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
threedogz

PostPosted: 12/15/2007, 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds fun. I'm thinking I'll go hike Boulder Canyon on Tuesday or something in the vicinity.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/15/2007, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We'll go through Cholla City right? (aka garden valley) I'll have to see if I can find her some heavy duty booties....I can't pick this pup up...she's getting HEAVY!

Trishness wrote:

We need to introduce Sadie to the magic of "warm, green stuff" on the trail.
Mr. Green Mr. Green Yes Yes

See me ignore this...........LOL...maybe I can teach this dog to do the same thing Wink
mick

PostPosted: 12/15/2007, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was out there last Thursday searching for Spanish gold on Black Top Mesa. Great day. The wash crossings were adventurous. MCSO was out searching for overdue backpackers. Helicopter buzzed me three times. They found who they were looking for at 5pm.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/15/2007, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If any of you have recovered from the "Peppermint Patty's" and that delicious Starbucks coffee concoction that Suz had............I'll be at the FW TH at 9AM ready to hike the 9.5 miles on Black Mesa Loop.

Hike off your hangover.

Mr. Green

Suz

PostPosted: 12/16/2007, 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:

Hike off your hangover.
Mr. Green

Promise????? Crying or Very sad

Okay-----we changed plans a little..........my head...............

Trish and I are meeting at the First Water TH at Noon and plan to do something a little 'lighter'....I think we settled on Dutchman to Boulder Basin where Joe suggested there might still be water. I suspect it's about 7 miles round trip. Let us know if you care to join in.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/16/2007, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, Shawn, Sadie and I were treated to cold, wet, soggy, muddy feet in the Superstitions today. It's amazing to hear and see running water in our desert. We had an equally fabulous sunset on the drive out. Such a rare and beautiful day in the Superstitions!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/16/2007, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is that area good are to go backpacking in Dec.? I have two weeks off from school coming up and I need something to do overnight, possibly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: