ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Planet Earth Encore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/2/2007, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
The Mitsubishi CRT is neither a plasma nor an LCD. It's a Cathode Ray Tube....hence the CRT.

Well I said it was old, still looks great though, just hate the fact it's 2 feet thick. In the bedroom I have the cable box and dvd player in closet, ALL the wires, cords and plugs go through the wall so you don't see a single one and I have a wireless transmitor for the remotes. I love clean looks, hate seeing wires and such. Nothing better than looking at a tv mounted on the wall IMO.
IGO

PostPosted: 12/2/2007, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't have any bills Shawn and I'm a single guy living in Las Vegas. Gotta have a little Bling every now and then. Very Happy
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/2/2007, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Plasma = Bad
LCD = Good

I may need to go to a store and see if I can see a difference with the HD DVD.

Check Consumer Reports; Plasma pretty much beats LCD. biggest problem with LCD is viewing angles....much the same problem as with projection HD TV's; as you move off from looking dead ahead, the picture fades. I've had Sony 52" projection HD 1080i for three years and like it just fine, but that's 'cause I have my recliner sitting directly in front of it. Someone sitting on my sofa, off to the side, can't see worth crap; supposed to be the biggest drawback to LCD. Biggest drawback with plasma is weight and energy used.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
IGO

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I never purchase any electronics before I check it out on Consumer Reports and CNET.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I don't have any bills Shawn and I'm a single guy living in Las Vegas. Gotta have a little Bling every now and then. Very Happy

Absolutely! I'm wrestling with my fiscal conservative self on whether to spend 20% of the cost of my first house on a new couch. It's whatever trips one's trigger.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
biggest problem with LCD is viewing angles....much the same problem as with projection HD TV's;

My sharp LCD has a 176 degree viewing angle, can't ask for much better than that. Way better than the projection CRT.
IGO

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
IGO wrote:

Absolutely! I'm wrestling with my fiscal conservative self on whether to spend 20% of the cost of my first house on a new couch. It's whatever trips one's trigger.

Ha Ha. I hear that. I don't have room for a couch but my one and only chair cost 1/50th of the price of my first house.
Anyway, Planet Earth.......
azhiker96

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whew, thanks IGO. I wanted to comment but don't know much about televisions. My current TV has a CRT.
On Planet Earth, I love the show but rarely get to watch more than a few minutes of it. Deanda doesn't like to watch predators feeding, so we change the channel. I've found that in many other people too. They say they love nature but are turned off by predation. I figure hawks, wolves, and orcas gotta eat too!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I missed Planet Earth first time around, saw it last night. Looked great, even on my ancient TV.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
Deanda doesn't like to watch predators feeding, so we change the channel. I've found that in many other people too. They say they love nature but are turned off by predation. I figure hawks, wolves, and orcas gotta eat too!

The episode with the lions hunting the elephants was a tough one to watch and even listen too. Even the camera crew said it was difficult being there. Knowing they were seeing something RARELY seen, yet I don't think they would want to see it again.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was amazed at the Emperor Penguins in Antarctica. The males all huddled like that during the freezing winter waiting on the women to return.

What really dismayed me was the plight of the Polar Bears in the Arctic. With the global warming and their seasonal ice sheets not available, are they to become extinct? They are magnificent creatures.

This series is a keeper.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I liked the one with the grizzlies feeding up on the barren talus slopes. They discovered, while filming this, that the bears went up on these slopes, turned over rocks, and ate the moths that gather under the rocks. Supposedly the moths are fatty, which fattens the bears.
IGO

PostPosted: 12/3/2007, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Airborn white shark. Primal to the core.
IGO

PostPosted: 12/4/2007, 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
IGO wrote:
The Mitsubishi CRT is neither a plasma nor an LCD. It's a Cathode Ray Tube....hence the CRT.

Well I said it was old, still looks great though, just hate the fact it's 2 feet thick. In the bedroom I have the cable box and dvd player in closet, ALL the wires, cords and plugs go through the wall so you don't see a single one and I have a wireless transmitor for the remotes. I love clean looks, hate seeing wires and such. Nothing better than looking at a tv mounted on the wall IMO.

I just saw this Tim. Yep, I love a clean install but I love the faces of well placed electronics. My home theatre looks like the cockpit of a 747. LOL.
I ordered cable for a few weeks but never looked at it. I canceled it. I'm just not a commercial television person. I watch movies and I only do that when I'm eating but I do love to watch them.
In February 09 the FCC will require every broadcasting station to broadcast in digital. People will have to purchase set top boxes to receive digital signals for their CRT TVs. This is a government requirement and folks of limited income will qualify for either 1 or 2 $40 credits towards the set top converters which will run between $50 and $80.
I have what was the best CRT TV in 2002. It's a 36 inch Panasonic with triple comb filter and component video inputs. It is as good as CRT pictures get and that is quite nice. Yet, I don't buy elaborate cars or expensive boats and my furnishings are practical. The few toys I buy are for very specific reasons and being a person who loves beauty in all forms whether it be the Grand Canyon or a great play or a museum, audio visual has always been huge on my list. You couldn't guess that for the shelf full of SLR cameras I use.
Anyway, my audio is top flight; I want video to match. This is a clip from Consumer Reports regarding the very best 50 inch HDTV on the opening page to their HDTV section:

"The best sets are better than ever. The Panasonic TH-50PZ700U had the best picture of any flat-panel TV we’ve ever tested. One of the new breed of 1080p plasma sets now hitting stores, it combines “full HD”--1920x1080 native resolution, the highest currently available--with the characteristic strengths of plasma technology. Its ability to reproduce the finest detail, plus its rich, vibrant colors and deep blacks, lend an almost three-dimensional look to images."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/televisions/hdtv/lcd-tvs/reports/lcd-vs.-plasma-tvs/overview/lcd-vs-plasma-tvs-ov.htm

CNET is the free consumer advocate for electronics buyers. They did not review the 50 inch Panasonic but they did the same model line in the 42 inch. It is their number one pick and I've tested this TV, it is wonderful:

Panasonic TH-42PZ700U
Best HDTV between 33- and 42-inches
For those who can spare no expense, the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U plasma offers the best picture quality in its size class.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-168-110.html?tag=lnav

Now, can I barrow $2500?
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 12/5/2007, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank goodness for you Shawn... now I don't feel so far behind. Want to upgrade but my dang TV is working good, if it would only break!!! Crazy

Well one dayhere, after I get a few other things taken care of I'll take the plunge good working TV or not !

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: