ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GC Mule Rides Stopped due to Safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/17/2003, 8:23 am    Post subject: GC Mule Rides Stopped due to Safety Reply to topic Reply with quote

Appears mule rides were stopped due to safety concerns.

http://www.grandcanyonnews.com/GRANDCANYONNEWS/sites/GRANDCANYONNEWS/0199edition/myarticles833618.asp?P=833618&S=388&PubID=11426
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 10/17/2003, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Trails in ill repair Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of my clients was just at the Grand Canyon last weekend and had the worst time at the Jacob's Ladder section. She said that the trail is so washed out by rains that the steps were HUGE and kicked her butt. She is thinking of cancelling her forthcoming trip since the increased spaces really bothered her knees and there's not a lot of money to repair all the trails. Bummer!
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/18/2003, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reading that article, how does someone die of exhaustion from riding a mule down to phantom ranch? I'm guessing that is someone that shouldn't have been on that trip in the first place. Hiking to Phantom ranch only takes 3 hours. I'm guessing it's a little faster on a mule and not nearly as much work.

PostPosted: 10/19/2003, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well that settles it! I must hike the canyon again this fall. Imagine the trail without lakes of mule urine or fresh mule cairns marking the way. I'll have to call Xanterra to see if there's any cancellations at Phantom ranch. I've never stayed in the cabins there. This may be a good window of opportunity. Wink
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/19/2003, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
Well that settles it! I must hike the canyon again this fall. Imagine the trail without lakes of mule urine or fresh mule cairns marking the way. I'll have to call Xanterra to see if there's any cancellations at Phantom ranch. I've never stayed in the cabins there. This may be a good window of opportunity. Wink

YES! No More:
Mule
Urine
Lake
Evasion
Strategy
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/20/2003, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The mule trains are still running for the daily Phantom Ranch supplies.

The mule trains have been around for so long they've become part of life on the BA & SK. (good/bad)

You too can bring your own mule or if your crazy your horse into the GC--seen quite a few private stock with problems on the steep trails.

Usually they end up sending down one of the GC mules/wranglers to the rescue.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/20/2003, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just there. The SK still has the supply trains, as noted here, and those mules leave stuff behind just like the passenger mules do. I asked at the Lodge whether the lack of mule service has affected room availability at Phantom. They said that the hikers have really been calling and the Ranch is as busy as ever. We did see quite a bit of improved trail, so they are working on it.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/22/2003, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
I was just there. The SK still has the supply trains, as noted here, We did see quite a bit of improved trail, so they are working on it.

How bad of shape is SK? Were you delayed by any of the trail work?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/22/2003, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GC NPS is reporting a mule supply train wreck on SK trail.

Not much info available yet except the wranglers are ok but at least 1 mule was lost.

Early reports indicate a trail runner is being investigated for mule spookin'

Stay tuned...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: