ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Official AZH Christmas Party Gift Exchange 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 11:20 am    Post subject: The Official AZH Christmas Party Gift Exchange 2008 Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's time again for The AZH Christmas Gift Exchange..... Laughing Very Happy Surprised
Another year has flown by and that special time is upon us where we celebrate friends and our successful journeys! Laughing

As the designated 'gift exchange official' I have been asked to post a few simple guidelines as to how it works, mostly for the folks that have not attended or particpated in the past. For those of you that have, well, you already know what you are getting yourself into.

You do not have to participate in the gift exchange to come and enjoy the party, it is totally up to you.

Gift value should be $20, give or take a few bucks to keep it fair. (This is the same as last year). All gifts should be hiking, backpacking, or camping related items.
It seems that 'gift cards' are the hot item...but personally I think they are a bit boring. (Well, until they arrive later at the store...)
So..... I am going to encourage all of you to be creative! Very Happy Go shopping!!
There are lots of nifty items out there in this price range and it is really fun to see what folks come up with.

Numbers will be picked at random dependent on the number of people participating. (i.e., if there are 20 people, numbers 1-20 will be issued).

The person who picks number "1" chooses a gift first and so on and so forth. So naturally anyone that picks a higher number chooses later and gets to "preview" all the gifts that have been selected previous to their turn to choose.

Here's where it gets fun. When it is your turn to choose, you can either pick a new and unopened gift from the selection or you can "steal" a gift from someone that has already had their turn.
Some words of advice, keep a close eye on your "friends". Surprised

Only THREE "steals" are allowed per gift, after that, it is dead and the person that gets it on the third steal gets to keep it. (No being in cahoots with others allowed.... Cool )
Yes, it can be quite dramatic, but look at it this way, you will certainly get to know your fellow hikers even better!
If I forgot any other details, someone please post it....

And of course the most important rule of all....
Remember that "it is better to give than receive"

The best part of this celebration is not only seeing old friends but meeting new ones too. And did I mention the food? Razz

'Tis the season to certainly be thankful for all the friends and the blessings that have come to us from this site.
Merry Christmas!

Sande J
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi Merry Christmas YAY! I can't wait! This is gonna be so fun! I have used the heck out of the new bladder I got last year!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Multi Merry Christmas YAY! I can't wait! This is gonna be so fun! I have used the heck out of the new bladder I got last year!

Diane does it again! Shocked
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
IGO

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You're still using the old one Hooli? Very Happy
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Yeah.....and often! Embarassed
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Hikngrl wrote:

Diane does it again! Shocked

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Too funny!
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
IGO wrote:

Yeah.....and often! Embarassed

Not funny at all! Mad
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/21/2007, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I personally enjoy watching the gift grab... Diane gets funny, hiding handing on to hers...until she is forced to give in... But she got something else just as nice...huh Diane! Not sure if Tim was a lucky last time, don't remember.
Pretty funny, makes the gift giving enjoyable.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Suz

PostPosted: 12/4/2007, 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Official AZH Christmas Party Gift Exchange 2008 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:

'Tis the season to certainly be thankful for all the friends and the blessings that have come to us from this site.
Merry Christmas!

Sande J

Exactly!.........and if I get a really good gift please keep it a secret!

Sande, thanks for posting the "rules"....it reminds me to build my strategy. I'm really looking forward to the fun.

I was wondering if anyone could remember some of the "hot" gifts from past years????
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 12/9/2007, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I was wondering if anyone could remember some of the "hot" gifts from past years????

Sure, I do! I recall a small whiskey flask that was pretty hot, a silk bag liner,
headlamps (always popular), lightweight backpacking towels, thermarest cushion,
some outstanding trail books, mini mag lites, cold weather gloves, bottle of Cuervo, shall I go on?
Laughing Wink
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 12/9/2007, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got my present today!

I want to shine!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 12/9/2007, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm, didja find where Santa hid it???
Suz

PostPosted: 12/10/2007, 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Got my present today!

hmmm, I think it's important for you to tell us whatcha got so we don't duplicate...........or so we can watch for your wrapping paper. Wink
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 12/10/2007, 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think not! Surprise is a nessesary element for huge success in the rip-a-gift game! what fun would it be if we all knew what was in each one of those packages? I can tell you that it IS hiking related if that helps!

I want to shine!
Suz

PostPosted: 12/10/2007, 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Listen, you're not telling EVERYONE---you're just telling ME! Nobody is looking at this thread...it'll just be between 2 friends. Wink

How about just one more hint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: