ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Interest in GC overnighter or day hike?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Interest in an early May GC overnighter or day hike?
Yes 1 nighter
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Yes 2 nighter
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Dayhike
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Why the Canyon ?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Up for both Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am game for both Plateau Point (since I have never done that !)- Looks like Hank has some interesting options there as well ....

and Grandview -- Tim /Tom what do you want to do here -- 2 nighter on mesa or camp by the creeks and backpack around.

If we do that maybe I can hike into Hance and see what is there -- last time I was just trying to not get blown off! Rolling Eyes
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How about we spend the first night on Horseshoe Mesa, then the next day well hike across the Tonto and catch the sunset at Platuea Point Smile
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
How about we spend the first night on Horseshoe Mesa, then the next day well hike across the Tonto and catch the sunset at Platuea Point Smile

25 miles + Say What? with a pack ? I will not be permiting for that one...
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:

Come on, it would be an "interesting" one. You could just hike out Grandview (3 miles) then hike down B.A. (4.5 miles).
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
desertgirl wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:

Come on, it would be an "interesting" one. You could just hike out Grandview (3 miles) then hike down B.A. (4.5 miles).

You are thinking outside the box -- good one!
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
Hmmm, go for a hike in the Grand Canyon???? Chin Scratching
OK! Agree
Oh yea, two nights is fine with me too...
Indian Garden would be fun, it has been many years since I've camped there, and Plateau point would be a nice sunset spot. There are some other interesting day hikes that could be done from there too... The 'Old Bright Angel', maybe even circumambulating Plateau Point, over to Horn Creek and back, etc....

Plateau point is a very easy and safe moonlight hike for the Canyon as is a peice of the Tonto west of there. Horseshoe is the best large party hike in the Canyon with it's multiple combination day hikes and water at both ends of those combinations AND pit toilets for the masses.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be interested in this trip. I have always wanted to stay at Indian Gardens. I game for whatever. I need some elevation trips for my trip to Colorado in May!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have never don't Plateau Point! That would be fun!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:

That was my second hike in the Canyon. Headed down BA Tuesday and got within about quarter of a mile of IG and decided I'd started too late and it was warming up, so headed back to the old Hoolimobile and the pups. Thursday, started about 6:30, (this was in June, 2001) got to IG and decided to head on out to PP. That last 1.5 miles from IG to the point is the most boring 1.5 miles on earth.....flat, you're hiking in 12" to 15" rut worn by the mules that make this trip daily......gotta stay in the rut 'cause it's lined by prickly pear....dusty and no shade.....don't wanna do this on a warm day.....but the view from the point made it all worth while! Think there are photos I took on HAZ from the point of rafters on the river. It's 12.2 miles round trip from the rim. Not sure it would be a very good night hike; you'd definitely want a nearly full moon and even then, not sure you could really see anything from the point.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Hikngrl wrote:

That was my second hike in the Canyon. Headed down BA Tuesday and got within about quarter of a mile of IG and decided I'd started too late and it was warming up, so headed back to the old Hoolimobile and the pups. Thursday, started about 6:30, (this was in June, 2001) got to IG and decided to head on out to PP. That last 1.5 miles from IG to the point is the most boring 1.5 miles on earth.....flat, you're hiking in 12" to 15" rut worn by the mules that make this trip daily......gotta stay in the rut 'cause it's lined by prickly pear....dusty and no shade.....don't wanna do this on a warm day.....but the view from the point made it all worth while! Think there are photos I took on HAZ from the point of rafters on the river. It's 12.2 miles round trip from the rim. Not sure it would be a very good night hike; you'd definitely want a nearly full moon and even then, not sure you could really see anything from the point.

I'm sure. Beleive me.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd much prefer Horseshoe Mesa but I think this would be a trip for a bunch of AZH folks to do together.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/20/2007, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I'd much prefer Horseshoe Mesa but I think this would be a trip for a bunch of AZH folks to do together.

Oh, but I have done Horseshoe Mesa! It was My first Grand Canyon hike!

Not to say it can't be done as it is a wonderful hike....Perhaps I will plan Plateau Point for my b day hike....would any one object to that? I don't want to take away from any other hike being planned with in the same time frame.... but I have always had my eye on Plateau Point cause I need a hike we can do as a weekend thing. Having to haul our own water is not a great thing but I have always thought Plateau Point was one of those hikes one Should do if one is to call them selves a Grand Canyon hiker......

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 11/20/2007, 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Again, this reflects on another current thread. For a GHOTM, it doesn't really matter were ya are as long as it is attractive and a high percentage of folk are able to attend. Plateau Point is just fine. Does have water and toilets for the larger numbers.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/20/2007, 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure this thread was actually about a GHOTM was it? I know my b day hike is never considered a GHOTM but a great reason to hike in the Canyon.... Though one would think it is a good reason for me to celebrate Mee.... it really isn't. It really is just a great reason for a bunch of people to get together and go to the Canyon for a good time! One that comes up year after year so why not grab it and run with it! Agree

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/20/2007, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Who cares what we call a hike?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: