ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Check-ride!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Check-ride! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went for my check-ride (or check climb) today out in the Queen Creek climbing area. It was really a lot of fun.

I got to dangle and problem solve. Pete says I passed with flying colors! Multi I'm very excited and want to thank all of my online and in person coaches.

This was a prerequisite for an upcoming adventure. Hiking Pictures coming later this weekend.............much later........

Thanks Pete & Cat!
Erock

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congratulations! Where were you climbing at? I just got back from climbing out there myself! I was over by the Lost Wall and then checked out some climbs over by the Pancake House.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's see............we parked right after passing through the tunnel and dropped down in the same area. Pete will have to fill in the names of the routes. I love it.......beautiful area that might become off limit due to the mining soon, I think.
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ummm Suz... it's later.
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YH wrote:
Ummm Suz... it's later.

Yeah, but not "much"! Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Check-ride! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I got to dangle and problem solve.

Made even more problematic and "real world" due to equipment ommissions by the equipment manager Embarassed We were solving for jammed rappel device, etc. This girl has a cool head, didn't get flustered at all.

Erock, we were down in Atlantis, mondo freako and tickling a giggling marlin. Too long off the rock, endurance goes quickly. Fortunately there was an available rope gun that made things easier...

Rosalia de Castro
Erock

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rope gun, eh? Sounds like some gear I could have used today . . .

I haven't been down to Atlantis myself, only been to the Arena and the areas mentioned above. Definitely an area I have on my list to check out!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gotta love those fanciful names climbers give for routes and areas! Atlantis, oh my heck! (That was for Suz Wink )

I sure wish I had your opportunity Suz--I used to climb a little, but now my elbow is so bad I wonder if I can ever do it again. Rappelling is easy, it's the climbing--I can't hold any weight.
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Erock wrote:
I haven't been down to Atlantis myself, only been to the Arena and the areas mentioned above. Definitely an area I have on my list to check out!

While you're there, check out the Pond.

I've done some of the routes in the Mine area, Upper and Lower Looner (spelled looner) Land but the rock is just too sharp for me. I prefer comfortized holds, like up at Jack's. Have yet to get out to U&L Devil's, tho. Our rope gun was from Tucson, spending a couple days climbing in the area. Always meet nice people up there... And he had a cute dog that Suz wanted to take home, too...
Erock

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of good things about climbing in the Pond. Also another area on my list of places to check out. I usually end up going where the lead climbers want to climb since I haven't worked up the nerve (or bought the gear) to do my own leading . . . I've climbed indoors at PRG for about two years (mostly top rope and a bit of lead climbing), just starting to get outside. Now would be a bad time for the mine to take things over and shut the area down, I'm just starting to discover all of the fun places down there!
Suz

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got a few pictures posted in the gallery. We had fun! John on the left, Pete on the right.

azbackpackr wrote:
Gotta love those fanciful names climbers give for routes and areas! Atlantis, oh my heck! (That was for Suz Wink )

I sure wish I had your opportunity Suz--I used to climb a little, but now my elbow is so bad I wonder if I can ever do it again. Rappelling is easy, it's the climbing--I can't hold any weight.

Yes, I am fortunate each time I get tucked under the wing of one of our experienced folks here....lots to learn and I'm loving it.
fritzski

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz,

That's actually a really nice photo - with the two walls shown opposing. It's so hard to get quality photos from the bottom looking up (usually butt shots) Confused Nice job!

It's great to see a group on the site interested in climbing. A good climb often has the elements of both hiking and climbing - a great combination IMHO.

Anyway, just want you guys to know I'm always looking for partners and have been climbing all the QCC areas for years. I'm planning on hitting Atlantis Tues. Did the Pond the last two weeks.

If anyone's interested in checking out various areas up there just PM or email me.

Climb on!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great set of pictures Suz!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats on your climbs Suz! Atlantis is an awesome area! Lots of fun climbs down there! Next time you're down there, check out "Grumpy after 8". You'll like that one.
I just got back from climbing, out in Joshua Tree NP. I'll have some pics up tomorrow or Tuesday. I was mostly bouldering, but we did a route today. It was a 5.8 called "Hands Off". It was a wide crack; very hard. I'm not used to that kind of climb. Also I was wearing brand new climbing shoes that I bought this morning; I wore a hole through my other pair on Saturday. Fortunately I did not fall.

My girlfriend and I are going to Jacks for the weekend on December 1st and 2nd. You guys should come! (Suz, lzyboy, Erock, and anyone else who might be interested.) There are many easier climbs there, and you might surprise yourself and climb a grade harder than you thought you could! We'll probably hit up the main canyon on Saturday, camp overnight, and then go back into the canyon again, or drive a couple of miles to check out the Lost World at Jacks Canyon. I've never been there before. Anyway, you're all welcome. Should be perfect weather!
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fritzski wrote:
Suz,

That's actually a really nice photo - with the two walls shown opposing. It's so hard to get quality photos from the bottom looking up (usually butt shots) Confused Nice job!

It's great to see a group on the site interested in climbing. A good climb often has the elements of both hiking and climbing - a great combination IMHO.

Anyway, just want you guys to know I'm always looking for partners and have been climbing all the QCC areas for years. I'm planning on hitting Atlantis Tues. Did the Pond the last two weeks.

If anyone's interested in checking out various areas up there just PM or email me.

Climb on!

Hi Fritzski! Love it when you pop in. I haven't seen you around in a long time. I heard through the grapevine that you screwed up a hip, if that's so it sounds like you're back at it which is a good thing! I'd love to meet up at the QCC area sometime.

Thanks Fritzski and Ambika for the picture compliment. I'm actually getting a little coaching in that area, too. Plenty of room for growth for me! I need some more practice for sure.

I really want ALL the skills in place to be able to go anyplace I want. Pete put some really nasty knots in my rope and wouldn't let me down until I figured out how to get them out. Also got to pretend my hair was stuck in the belay device....that one slowed me up a bit. Apparently it actually happened to a woman on Camelback.

I love the QCC area because it has soooo many climbs, it's less that 30 minutes from my house and there's good shade. I like whatever type of rock it is in that area, too. I can't make a climb on Tuesday because of work and Turkey-day prep but could play there during the Thanksgiving weekend or after 4pm one evening.

I have my eye on this right now.....because I want to stand right there! It is the hike/climb combo that you mentioned.

First I think I need a shopping trip.....go figure! It has become apparent to me that it really is best to have a few of my own things to keep an eye on.
I need
prusiks, or crucifixes (as I call them)
a locking carabiner
some sort of rappel/belay device
helmet
Maybe a talon thing with a cord.......
and a book.......pete, what was the title of that book again?

Anyone need to make a trip to REI to help me figure out my preferences?

Matt Hoffman wrote:
Congrats on your climbs Suz! Atlantis is an awesome area! Lots of fun climbs down there! Next time you're down there, check out "Grumpy after 8". You'll like that one.
I just got back from climbing, out in Joshua Tree NP. I'll have some pics up tomorrow or Tuesday. I was mostly bouldering, but we did a route today. It was a 5.8 called "Hands Off". It was a wide crack; very hard. I'm not used to that kind of climb. Also I was wearing brand new climbing shoes that I bought this morning; I wore a hole through my other pair on Saturday. Fortunately I did not fall.

My girlfriend and I are going to Jacks for the weekend on December 1st and 2nd. You guys should come! (Suz, lzyboy, Erock, and anyone else who might be interested.) There are many easier climbs there, and you might surprise yourself and climb a grade harder than you thought you could! We'll probably hit up the main canyon on Saturday, camp overnight, and then go back into the canyon again, or drive a couple of miles to check out the Lost World at Jacks Canyon. I've never been there before. Anyway, you're all welcome. Should be perfect weather!

Ah, I feel a GCOTHM coming into the scene here. That would be FUN!
Matt, looking forward to seeing your pictures, I'm sure they'll be great. I always love the way you capture perspective in your shots. FYI---I'm not yet fond of the REALLY hard climbs.

Can someone please tell me where Jacks Canyon is? Can it be done as a long day trip? I could join you for one day if it's not to far but already have plans to take my Gma to the Art Festival in Tempe that weekend so I need one day for that...I think!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: