ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
FRS Road to Rogers Trough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
chihiggs

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 5:45 am    Post subject: FRS Road to Rogers Trough Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was last one this road maybe 3 years ago with a group hike from here. I am looking for information on the road condition to Rogers Trough TH. I know it's just the last stretch of road that can be sketchy but figure it's been a while since any significant rain fall. Anybody been out that way within the last month that could give me road conditions?

Thanks in advance,

Higgs
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: FRS Road to Rogers Trough Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:
I was last one this road maybe 3 years ago with a group hike from here. I am looking for information on the road condition to Rogers Trough TH. I know it's just the last stretch of road that can be sketchy but figure it's been a while since any significant rain fall. Anybody been out that way within the last month that could give me road conditions?

Hewlett Station isn't bad, but it's still worse than I've seen it before. They really need to get a grader out that way soon. The stretch of 172a from Woodbury to the trough trailhead is pretty badly rutted, but it never fails, there was a FWD mini van rental and a Honda 4dr sedan in the lot. Not sure how the undersides of those vehicles survived the trip.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 10:53 am    Post subject: Info Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you Tom...the Honda info helps best : )
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Tom...there are alot of sketchy places on the entire route now, worse than it used to be. Give yourself extra time for 172a. If you get an early start you should miss most of the masses of quads that seem to be more frequent there now than they used to be. Confused You will run into more of those on the way out later in the day. They usually aren't up and out if you get up there at dark thirty.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 11:42 am    Post subject: FS 172 Reply to topic Reply with quote

The road was in good condition. It was passable in a passenger sedan, though one would need to carefully select their route in confined areas. I took a two wheel drive lowered truck out there Saturday--no troubles or worries. The begining and middle of 172a were the only places that required careful route selection...11-17-2007 Dated in case anyone else needs this info in the near future.

Reavis trail (109) to Rogers Canyon trail (110) and Rogers Canyon to the ruins and Angel Basin are all in very good condition.
saguaro_west_photography

PostPosted: 7/7/2009, 11:12 pm    Post subject: re: FR 172 road conditions Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another road condition request here. Haven't been here in many moons, but am planning an Az trek in October. Going to go out to FR 172 for some late afternoon photography. I've been there once, ages ago, so I've got a bit of a faded memory as to how far I can get with my pickup, though I've got one with a bit more clearance now. Had a Chevy S-10 then, a Tacoma PreRunner now. How's the road these days? And how populated is it getting with offroaders (is it mainly a weekend issue or is it every day now?)

Thanks
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 7/8/2009, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I go out there about 3 times a year and was last there in April. The road was in better shape than usual then and seems to have been scraped. You will have no problem on 172 with a pre-runner all the way to Rogers Trough trailhead. Very little traffic there on weekdays. Only moderate traffic on weekends as far as I can tell.

Go for it !!
saguaro_west_photography

PostPosted: 7/8/2009, 9:33 pm    Post subject: re: FR 172 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent to hear, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: