ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How to hike faster....?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 4:31 pm    Post subject: How to hike faster....? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I see training regimens for marathons, running, endurance etc ....
What are your thought about training to hike faster. I am specifically looking for information/ insights on increasing your pace independant of what your pack weight ( That belongs in lightweight thread!) . I am specifically looking for delta perfomance.

-- Simple: What can I do to walk fast w/o running. Wink Is it possible to increase my pace by 30-40% ?

So here's my motivation for this thread -- I want to do an extended hike at my current pace in 2007. Look at a specific training/conditioning plan to increase pace. Repeat same hike in 2008 ( approx a year apart) and see if I can make some measurable consistent gain in pace. Just want to see what I can accomplish ....and I need some challenge to kick my butt into shape!
Tommy

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found this article helpful.

http://www.gettingfitkeepingfit.com/Increase%20Your%20Hiking%20Speed.php
Suz

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No camera...........that'll speed ya up! (same goes for me but what fun is that!) Plus it will lighten your load.
beckett

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great article Tommy. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For me it's as simple as eating a bar/gel/snack on the go instead of taking a break for it. It may only seem like 2-3 minutes but in reality they are generally longer. That doesn't do anything for increasing speed though, just increases the mileage you are able to cover in a day.
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
Great article Tommy. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Linda

It is a great article Ambika.

The one thing it barely touched on that helped me a lot was the strength/weight training, arms and legs. Particularly squats, or some variation. In my opinion, anything you do will be improved by doing squats; hiking, biking, climbing, swimming, dancing, whatever. Low weight/high repetition (more aerobic capacity), higher weight/less reps (builds more muscle), your choice. Research what GOOD form is and only use GOOD form, or you can hurt knees, back, etc.

Upper body/arms is important, too, especially if you use poles (share the load between arms and legs, as well as provide balance that conserves energy, as long as terrain warrants). Bench, inclined, military presses as well as pullups, all of which you can do with improvised weights or equipment.

And, like Tim says, fuel the fire...

My 2cents...
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My Dad always said if you want to cover more ground one should work to increase your stride. If you add an inch or two with every step it adds up. Don't know about 30-40 percent tho.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Eating a good energy bar while you walk definitely helps keep stamina up, I was munching on those a lot when Mike and I covered the last 36 miles of the Highline in one day. I also like to give it a good stretch after walking a few minutes at the beginning of the day, it helps my legs stay loose and motoring along the trail

Kerouac
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Start at the top and go down, instead of the other way round. Shocked Laughing
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Start an hour earlier, go an hour longer. (Not faster but farther.)

I don't know that one can do a great deal about it, I personally think it's just a matter of femur length.
Abe

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to hike faster....? Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
I see training regimens for marathons, running, endurance etc ....
What are your thought about training to hike faster.

The natural gait, to stop and smell the roses,,,,,,that is what I practice. And it took me a while to bring myself down to that. I've done some fast walking in my time and the most I've covered in one day was 51 miles. I like the roses better.

Having said that, in my opinion and depending on the condition you're in, I would say;

To hike faster, speed walking, jogging, running, marathoning, it's pretty much all the same just different speeds, terrains, enviornments, and how much it tears up your body. Carb up, drink them sports drink, "and just do it".
Daryl

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Light shoes, comfortable clothes/shoes/pack, and hiking a lot.

I notice a big difference in my pace when I'm hiking every weekend vs once a month.

STAIRS! Take the stairs as often as you can. I rarely use an elevator anywhere. I'll even use the downstairs bathroom at work so I have to do the stairs. There is nothing better then getting paid to exercise. There is a 6 story stair climb I do rather then the elevator 2-3 times per week.

Motivation! having a cold beer in a cooler at the trailhead does it for me. Or having dinner plans that evening and needing to be home by a certain time to keep the wife off my back!

And, camera gear selection. With an SLR I try to limit lens changes and other equipment. Usually I just bring a 17-40 with a polarizer on it and a 70-300 that also does pretty good macros. I have a pretty good system so I can swap lens very quickly when needed. I've hiked with other photographers and it's impossible for them because they have to bring every lens they own, a huge tripod, external flashes and 17 different filters. That just doesn't work if you plan on covering more then a few miles.

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
No camera...........that'll speed ya up! (same goes for me but what fun is that!) Plus it will lighten your load.

I agree, the camera slows me down but I'm not leaving it behind. It's part of the fun.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great suggestions ya'll - and an excellent article Tommy. Now I am going to move my hiking gear festoons off my threadmill (BTW, home cardio equipment make great drying racks for gear!) and start hiking in place & lets see where that leads...

Any oh if you all find a way to get longer legs let me know Very Happy
sidhayes

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 11:18 am    Post subject: hiking speed Reply to topic Reply with quote

To train for speed: on treadmills or out of doors-20 seconds as fast as you can walk, perferably on a mild incline( 3-6%), and 20 seconds very slow. Repeat this 10 times and 2-3 times a week. The 20/20 plan is the very best to increase ones speed FAST.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: