ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2008 GHOTM Ideas?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 1:56 pm    Post subject: 2008 GHOTM Ideas? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok here is the list for the GHOTM's for 2008 and the hike leaders/organizers.

January - Table Top Mountain - Leader: Davis2001r6
February - Pumphouse Wash - Leader: Hikngrl
March - Harquahala Peak - Leader: sbkelley
April - Paria/Cottonwood Area - Leader: PageRob
May - Diane's B-day Grand Canyon hike
June - Wet Beaver Creek- Leader: Suz and Davis2001r6!
July - Chircahua Crest Trail - Canceled do to rain
August 23rd- West Fork Wade - Leader: Davis2001r6
September 13/14th Chircahua Crest Trail - Leader: Shawn
October -
November - Superstion Ridgeline
December -
Suz

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey----Did you just get a 2008 calendar? Are you volunteering to be the GHOTM coordinator for 2008?

I just did Pinnacle Peak for the first time. ( Embarassed can't believe I just did it for the first time) That could be a nice easy local hike to possibly bring out some new folks....maybe food afterwards at Greasewood Flats? Looks like there might be some hikes in the McDowells but I don't really know.

What about Brown's Peak?

How about something around the Mt. Graham area?

Sedona?

Camp Verde?

Monument Valley?

San Diego, Rocky Point........Michigan?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've had a calendar for a while now.

I have no problem leading a GHOTM, I just don't have that many original places that I'm familiar with and that we haven't been too.

I like the monument valley idea, although I don't know about the hiking there.

I wouldn't mind something easy in the canyon, like an overnighter on Horseshoe Mesa.

or what about those Hot Springs off the Colorado just below Hoover porridge?

I don't think Browns Peak would be a prudent idea with a large (4+) group. Way too much scree.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's save a weekend in June or July for Hart Prairie.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for the reminder Shawn, looking forward to that. Let us know when you get a date worked out for it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you guys done the Blue River Wade? It requires a very long car shuttle, as cars have to be left at the bottom of Juan Miller Road and at the end of the Blue Road, both of them are LONG dirt roads. It would be best in maybe early June or September. It would be pretty hot in summer. I have not done it, I have only a little info about it in a magazine, but could find out more. It would not be easy to set up and would require a bit of cooperation and a lot of driving.

There are some pretty good possibilities for backpacking trips throughout the Blue Primitive Area.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

I have no problem leading a GHOTM, I just don't have that many original places that I'm familiar with and that we haven't been too.

No, no.....I meant GHOTM Calendar Coordinator! I think Ambika did it this last year and perhaps Tom the year before??? I think you would do a great job.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:

No, no.....I meant GHOTM Calendar Coordinator! I think Ambika did it this last year and perhaps Tom the year before??? I think you would do a great job.

We may end up with 12 Epic hikes then Smile

Really I just wanted to know what hike I get to look forward to for January and to start filling in dates.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about something out west and south for early spring or late winter? Is that palm canyon in the Kofas worth checking out? What about the Harquahala Trail or something out in one of those desert ranges to the west?
RC

PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
......Michigan?

we'd love to have you.
Pictured Rock or Isle Royale come to mind. thumbs up
Suz

PostPosted: 11/13/2007, 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RC wrote:
Suz wrote:
......Michigan?

we'd love to have you.
Pictured Rock or Isle Royale come to mind. thumbs up

Groovy---thank you! Now if you'll just send a jet to pick us all up we'll be right over.

How about a twist to the Ridgeline for next year? Might take a scouting trip or two. Sending you a PM Tim.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/13/2007, 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

January--Table Top Mtn off I-8 day hike
Feb--Margies Cove area/trail/peak bagging--could be day or campover
March---Rincon Peak
April--Sycamore canyon Parajita/ Atascosa lookout summit--car camp due to distance from Phoenix
May--
June---Mt Graham area
July---Chiricahuas
August---West Fork
Sept----
Oct----Fall color shoot hike
Nov--Ridgeline
Dec---The Kofa, or something associated with the El Camino. Got a peak to still bag out there. Full weekend + for sure.

There's my .02 worth. Any long holiday weekends add a trip up to the Az strip, lots to do up there!!!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/13/2007, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the table top idea. Here is what Summit Post has to say:
Quote:
The distinctive shape of Table Top is visible from many vantage points across south-central Arizona. Located in western Pinal County south of the city of Maricopa and east of Gila Bend, the flat plateau-like mountaintop is readily visible from as far away as the southern suburbs of Phoenix and from points along Interstate-10 in Casa Grande. The Table Top Mountains are a compact range south of Interstate-8 and located within the Table Top WIlderness and the newly-created Sonoran Desert National Monument (created in 2000). A rough 15-mile dirt road called Vekol Valley Road gives access to the trailhead, which has room for about 5-6 vehicles and a handful of minorly-developed campsites for overnight use. The registers show about 3-4 groups might visit on a weekend date, and maybe a total of 3-4 groups during the weekdays. Definitely a winter-spring peak; this area get very hot in summer.

A hike to the summit(s) of Table Top covers about 2 miles of low foothills covered in every imaginable type of cactus of the lower Sonoran Desert, including the stately saguaro and a dense collection of cholla. The final 2 miles up the mountain massif 'features' steep trail with loose, rubbly rock. The trail ends at the soutwestern of the two summits, which is about 17 feet lower than the true highpoint. The remaining half-mile to the true top is across (surprise!) flattish plateau covered in grasses, prickly-pear cactus and agave, plus the usual mix of volcanic rock.

The stats of this peak can be misleading: 8 miles round trip to the true summit with about 2,400 feet of gross gain mostly along easily navigable trail ... should seem straightforward, and it is. But the steepness of the upper sections of the trail, and the cross-country bit up top will add some time to the overall journey. Plan a full day for the drive in, the hike and the drive out. Enjoy the fantastic natural scenery!

Letty, have you made that drive lately? It says high clearance required but not 4x4. Is that accurate or do you think a car could make it to the TH.

Also, SP does have a warning on there about drug smuggling in the area and the group that did the write-up was stopped twice by border patrol. I think I'll hike with Tom and Randy on this one
hunter
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/13/2007, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
January--Table Top Mtn off I-8 day hike
Feb--Margies Cove area/trail/peak bagging--could be day or campover
March---Rincon Peak
April--Sycamore canyon Parajita/ Atascosa lookout summit--car camp due to distance from Phoenix
May--
June---Mt Graham area
July---Chiricahuas
August---West Fork
Sept----
Oct----Fall color shoot hike
Nov--Ridgeline
Dec---The Kofa, or something associated with the El Camino. Got a peak to still bag out there. Full weekend + for sure.

fantastic assortment Letty, may I add these?

May-- Brown's Cave, Four Peaks
Sept--Devil's Chasm, Sierra Ancha

what i do
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/13/2007, 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If a nice little overnighter is planned I'd tag along

Kerouac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: