ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sample Ultralight Packweight
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just made a spinnaker/sil combo pack w/ 1800 cubes and full shoulder and waist straps. Side pockets and large pocket on back with extension collar.
2.4 ounces. Should carry 15 lbs. with ease. Very Happy

what i do
k9hiker

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm jumping in late but on the pole discussion I have a set of MSR Overland Carbons that weight 8.1 oz per pole. They are three section collapsible and they have an nice wide strap. I like em!!

jamie
k9hiker

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On the pillow talk (hahaha) have you tried the FlexAir pillows? www.flexair.com They are inflatable disposable pillows. They come in three sizes, the heaviest comes in at 1.1 oz and you can deflate it in the morning and use it to wash your face and hands.

I tested them for BGT - here's the link incase you are interested
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Accessories/FlexAir%20Travel%20Pillow/
k9hiker

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On your list fairweather why do you carry an Ion and the Micro LED?

Also, do you use the firestick for something or is it just emergency tinder? If so you could probably go a tad lighter by using cotton ball or cotton dryer lint bundle saturated in petroleum jelly.

Finally, the only other thing I thought of in looking at your list was your pot and stove. You could loose a few factions of an ounce by going with a beer can pot and an ouce or two by going with esbit or other solid fuel. My stove is 1.6 oz plus the negligable esbit tab and my larger Heineken beer can pot is a scant 1.2 oz.

Anyway, I had fun making both and it saved a little weight from what I was using. However, I know everyone has their own issues when it comes to fuel types so stick wtih what makes you feel safe and allows you to eat well.

safe hiking
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
On your list fairweather why do you carry an Ion and the Micro LED?

On more then one occaision I've realized that I left my headlamp behind. The .2 oz serves as a back up

Kerouac
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
I'm jumping in late but on the pole discussion I have a set of MSR Overland Carbons that weight 8.1 oz per pole. They are three section collapsible and they have an nice wide strap. I like em!!

jamie

see there's my issue... my aluminum poles are lighter than those carbon, cost (im guessing) much less, and I can beat the crap out of bushes and rocks without worry. Carbon/graphite is supposed to be light so I dont see the benefit or tradeoff for durability issues if the weight remains unchanged. ??

what i do
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What Aluminium poles do you have ?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Leki ultralight Ti corkolon handle. 16 oz per pair. There are some aluminium poles at around 14 oz or so as well. If you want carbon but dont like $$$ for poles check out the Alpkit poles. $80 (still 14 oz pair)

what i do

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

American_Idol wrote:
I just made a spinnaker/sil combo pack w/ 1800 cubes and full shoulder and waist straps. Side pockets and large pocket on back with extension collar.
2.4 ounces. Should carry 15 lbs. with ease. Very Happy

That's unbelievable. Are we at the point now where potentially every piece of gear could be less than 1 pound?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well Guest, If you looked at my big 4, you would see a weight of
pack: 2.4 ounces
pad/sit pad 9.2 ounces
25* quilt 19 ounces
solo tarp & groundcloth 9 ounces.

total big 4 weight: 39.6 ounces, or 2lbs-7 1/2 ounces. Not bad. With this pack I can bring all the needed gear including layers, first aid, a real sleeping system (full length pad) and 2 liters water with 2 lbs. food. Base pack weight with everything necessary for safety would be about 4 lbs, and total pack weight would be >10

now keep in mind, I have everything I need, a knife, some cord, 3 forms of firestarting, a fail-proof cookset, base layers, wind shirt, etc..
Im not skimping on weight by hiding things in my pants pockets. THis is real world total pack weight. If you ask me, every piece of gear should be less than 1 pound. wouldnt that be nice!

what i do
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 11/11/2007, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know I am off topic but I just got back from a super hike to Phantom Creek for three nights. The pack did well... the waist straps kept coming loose so i tied one and fixed the other with a diaper pin. mp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: