ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Best way to shed a few pounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
Chain-male?

aka Rat Sac ?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Abe wrote:
Had to have my portable DVD w/ extra batteries so I could watch movies at night...

Ya know what, Abe, if I was down in the GC and heard/saw you watching a flippin' DVD in your tent, I'd smack you upside the head. Chuckle

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard from you. I thought you were joking at first, but you're not, are you?
RC

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
Abe wrote:
Had to have my portable DVD w/ extra batteries so I could watch movies at night...

Ya know what, Abe, if I was down in the GC and heard/saw you watching a flippin' DVD in your tent, I'd smack you upside the head. Chuckle

That's what I was thinking! A movie while backpacking? Come on Smile

BTW, I have lost 25 lbs this year, just by doing the weight watchers point system. It really was easy and the sad thing is I didn't even have to excercise... Kinda felt like cheating
k9hiker

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep AZBackpacker, the big three are for sure the tent, the bag and your pack. Shoes is a good one too if you are wearing big ole heavy boots.

All of those are probably going to cost you quite a lot to upgrade though. I would start with luxury items and containers. These are two areas were you can start to drop a little weight just by leaving stuff out or packing it differently and that doesn't cost anything.

Also, think versatility. Try to make ALL your gear serve at least two functions if possible.

I've been inching or rather ouncing my pack down here and there as I can but initially before I could attack the big three I just started really thinking about what I brought and whether or not it was REALLY necessary.

good luck
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going to have to research lightweight candy to bring.
Abe

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RC wrote:
Tom Treks wrote:
Abe wrote:

That's what I was thinking! A movie while backpacking? Come on Smile

BTW, I have lost 25 lbs this year, just by doing the weight watchers point system. It really was easy and the sad thing is I didn't even have to excercise... Kinda felt like cheating

I was funning..... Very Happy ..... Fact of the matter is the pack did weigh 55 pounds, I did have a set of clean dud's, and tri-pod. After the trip I gave some thought to the weight issue, what I could to slim it up a bit. Generally, the pack rides well enough, though heavy, is not a major factor. I'm a firm believer in how good of shape I'm in, how much my pack weighs, and how the pack rides makes for a successful trip.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/8/2007, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My 7 day pack for my Escalante Trip last week started at 59.5 pounds. Eeeek? Maybe but that was 5 pounds of digital camera gear which is something I traded camp shoes and camp chairs stuff for. It included 2 gallons of water and my hat and hiking poles. I already know I could easily have shaved 4 pounds off of it buy bringing less batteries, a meal less and did much better meal packaging. That would have made it 55 pounds to start.
When I got home it weighed 27 pounds. That's with poles, extra batteries and a bunch of trash. The pack could easily been 23 pounds. Is that a base weight? I don't think that is too bad for a week long backpack.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Abe

PostPosted: 11/9/2007, 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
My 7 day pack for my Escalante Trip last week started at 59.5 pounds.......It included 2 gallons of water and my hat and hiking poles......

The long hauls,'7 days' the pack do seem to get a bit heavy; however, those essentials are important. To include the camera. In September on the North Rim at the trailhead when I dumped all my trash, my pack sure felt like it weighed 20 pounds as I walked to the lodge.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/9/2007, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, much nicer hoist at day 7 than day 1. Very Happy
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/9/2007, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I must be doing something wrong. Even on day 7 I can hardly lift my pack.... Rolling Eyes
IGO

PostPosted: 11/9/2007, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Geoligist never learn.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/13/2007, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hank you just seem to be looking out for the other guy.. You seem to have things when others don't.. or just my perception

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anothe way to reduce weight, without reducing comfort is to lighten up your clothing. For example, The North Face's Diad Jacket, 100% waterproof with TNF's HyVent fabric, hood w/ stiffened brim and pit zips. All of the above for a scant 8 oz. On sale right now on a few websites online, like http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/29610/ Sold my old jacket on ebay and helped made this purchase at little cost to me

Just got back from some urban testing, being that my jeep has no doors and it rained here today, and it passed it's testing on the 101 with flying colors.

Kerouac
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
Anothe way to reduce weight, without reducing comfort is to lighten up your clothing. For example, The North Face's Diad Jacket, 100% waterproof with TNF's HyVent fabric, hood w/ stiffened brim and pit zips. All of the above for a scant 8 oz. On sale right now on a few websites online, like http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/29610/ Sold my old jacket on ebay and helped made this purchase at little cost to me

Just got back from some urban testing, being that my jeep has no doors and it rained here today, and it passed it's testing on the 101 with flying colors.

An 8 oz reliable waterproof jacket?...Nice find! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
qztwtp

PostPosted: 5/31/2008, 5:11 pm    Post subject: qztwtp Reply to topic Reply with quote

YPBhNN <a href="http://burhwreoebez.com/">burhwreoebez</a>, pozljlujkwsj, [link=http://lnfrqmluxwgn.com/]lnfrqmluxwgn[/link], http://yjbljiefsupn.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: