ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Toroweap.... twice....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Toroweap.... twice.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I drove up to Toroweap a week or so ago to help with a Grand Canyon Field Institute trip. They were doing the Tuckup to Toroweap hike. They wanted to start at the Tuckup trail head and have all the vehicles waiting for them at Toroweap, so I drove up to Fredonia on Saturday to meet the group. On Sunday we drove to Toroweap to drop off two of the vehicles, then I helped shuttle those drivers back to a campsite near the Tuckup trail head, and camped for the night. On the way there one of the drivers experienced two flat tires. One was a slow leak that the ranger at Toroweap was kind enough to plug, but the other was a case of the entire sidewall of the tire was shredded. We left the shredded tire at the ranger station. On Monday we finished the shuttling, then I followed another assistant as he drove the last vehicle back to Toroweap and parked it there. After picking up the shredded tire, I then drove him back to Fredonia, dropped the tire off at a gas station with a request to have it fixed (replaced), and delivered to the ranger station, then I drove home. I found out later that the charge for the tire repair was around $180, and the charge to deliver it to the ranger station was $500. After driving that road 4 times, I don't feel that is excessive...

It turned out that the group had a few problems the first couple days, the water hole that had contained lots of water for many years in the past was dry, so they had to go back to Cottonwood Spring, which being really mineralized, gave half the group the runs. They decided that it would be imprudent to try to continue all the way to Toroweap on this bad water, so the group headed back to the Tuckup trail head. Only problem was that all the vehicles were now 45 miles away. So Mike (the head of the Field Institute) called me early Thursday morning, and offered me all kinds of incentives if I could help reunite the hikers with their vehicles. So I went back up there on Thursday, camped at the trail head and met the group when they came out on Friday morning. They were VERY happy to see the 15 gallons of water that I had brought with me, and consumed a lot of it right there. I then took 3 of them and their packs all the way back to Toroweap so they could get their vehicles, and we all proceeded back to the Tuckup trailhead. I helped shuttle the rest of the hikers back to the campsite we used Sunday night. I had just finished doing this when the other vehicles showed up. After another set of goodbyes, all of the hikers and their packs climbed into their vehicles to head to Toroweap to continue with their exploration of the area. I climbed in the Jimmy and headed home again, another exciting 11 hour drive....

This weekend I'm not going anywhere....
beckett

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You are a kind friend to many hikers Hank. Sounds like a lot of miles you put in there.
I'm sure the hikers appreciate all you did.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Geeze Hank! All of that and you didn't even get to hike!? You are a good one! YOu need to start your own shuttle service....

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I was offered my pick of any Field Institute hike that I wanted. Agree I didn't get to hike on this one, but I did find out how to get to Shaman's Gallery, a beautiful rock art site.... One of these days I'll go back to see it. It's an easy hike, it's just that getting to the trail head is a bit of a chore.... Rolling Eyes
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
Well, I was offered my pick of any Field Institute hike that I wanted. Agree I didn't get to hike on this one, but I did find out how to get to Shaman's Gallery, a beautiful rock art site.... One of these days I'll go back to see it. It's an easy hike, it's just that getting to the trail head is a bit of a chore.... Rolling Eyes

Nice. I've been hankering to get there myself. One of these days...
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any field institute hike? heck that I want the raft trip Smile

I've been waiting for this write-up since I saw your little preview about making the drive twice.

Gosh after all that shuttling maybe someone might not think I'm that crazy when I need a ride out to S. Bass next March. Smile
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like you saved the day there and made a lot of people's life easier. Great job!
IGO

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You are as good a person as they come. I've known that for 10 years now.

Hey, ain't that road a riot!?
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Well..... It pretty much shook all the fillings out of my teeth. The road to the Tuckup trailhead is even worse....

I did ask if the river trip was included in his offer. He just grinned....

I also posted a few pictures...
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
IGO wrote:

Well..... It pretty much shook all the fillings out of my teeth. The road to the Tuckup trailhead is even worse....

I did ask if the river trip was included in his offer. He just grinned....

I also posted a few pictures...

If its was a $500 delivery charge for the tire -- I am sure you have earned your river trip! Great set of pictures -- Love the very clear view of Lava Falls Rapid. You can see all the elements so clearly!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/5/2007, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The great samaritan rides again!

$680 for a tire repair and delivery is a "real kick 'em when they're down" in my book. Yeah, it's a tough drive but not that tough.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/6/2007, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did they call you via a Sat phone?
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/6/2007, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They didn't call me directly. Christa, the trip leader called Mike, the director of the Field Institute, using a sat phone and told him of the issues. Mike called me at home to ask for help and to work out the details. He also let me take a sat phone for my drive up there, just in case, but fortunately I didn't need it...
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a guy, Hank. Always there for someone. You will be rewarded one day. They will think of some special little secret place for you to explore, I'm sure.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow!! What a pain in the butt. Amazing you can remember all those ins and outs. Good thing they are nice folks. mp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: