ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sleeping pad for fibromyalgia sufferer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/28/2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Sleeping pad for fibromyalgia sufferer? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm trying to help my husband find a suitable sleeping pad for backpacking. He suffers a lot from fibromyalgia pain, especially in the middle of his back, and some in his hips. He has bad insomnia, and really needs something very thick and comfy to lie on.

When backpacking we may not go far, and I may carry the whole tent, the whole cook kit, and all the food, (I know, "he-haw, he-haw!") But he'll have to carry his clothes, sleeping bag and pad. He really wants to do this, he has been hiking a lot lately. (In other words, I'm not trying to drag the poor guy out there by his you-know-whats!)

I looked on HAZ, where everyone seems to use a Thermarest. Okay, fine, but what about Big Agnes and others? (I have sworn in the past to never do business with them again, they were unbelievably and unforgiveably lame when I bought my tent directly from them, and have heard other people say their customer service is terrible, too. But their gear is great! I say, though, there must be a lot of really good homegrown available up there in Steamboat! Silly )

It seems that Thermarest gets a lot of votes due to its durability. I also have found this to be true, but my little 3/4 thin one is not as cushy as he would need. I need to look at the wider, thicker ones, I guess.

Any ideas as to where I should be looking?

Thanks, Elizabeth
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/28/2009, 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

www.hammockforums.net

just trust me on this, Liz

what i do
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/28/2009, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, hey, I trust you! I myself have wanted to try a hammock! And up here in the mtns. there are plenty of trees, too! Now, to get my husband interested, that may take time! Very Happy

Thank you!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/28/2009, 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Liz, we use some pads that might work. Mid-month, this month, we spent a week backpacking the Mohave deserts using these pads and have used them since late last fall. You can see the stats on them at Moontrail’s Exped Synmat 9 DLX. Not a bad place to buy either. I got my Hilleberg tent from them. The Synmat 9 DLX is not ultralight but it is ultra comfortable, 76”x26” and 3.5” thick with very good insulation. I have never missed a “real” bed when using this pad. You blow it up with the built in foam pump, very easy when you get the rhythm. We packed these along for the entire week in the Mohave and sleep was sublime in our stealthily hidden backcountry mansion. You don’t want to every come back.

Another thing to get is the the Thermarest Lumbar Pillow. Put that under your waist, let the air out until it conforms and just sleep on it. It works wonders for side sleepers. Also, use a good pillow. I make one out of my WM Flight down jacket and just stuff that in a Thermarest pillow cover.

Don’t worry about carrying all the stuff. I have Girlfriend carry the tent, both pads, all the food, cooking gear and most of the water. That way I can be ultralight but have a very comfy camp as well. She does just fine out there traveling across the vast expanses and that leave me freer to photograph her which is how I rationalize it.

Girls just wanna have fun.

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/28/2009, 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks very much, I will look into this later today. I printed it all out to show him (he doesn't look at computers very often).

I am hoping we can do a few one or two-nighters in the White Mtns. this summer, and then do Indian Garden or something very easy in the GC in the fall.
sirena

PostPosted: 3/29/2009, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have fibromyalgia and I use an Exped Downmat 7 short- it's thick enough that I can sleep on my side comfortably and it is filled with down for extra insulation. (a lot of people with fibromyalgia don't do well with cold) It's a little pricey- list price is $130, but that's what comparison shopping on the internet is for, right? (I just checked- wholesalehunter.com has them for $85)

Sirena's Wanderings
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Arizona Trail for Fibromyalgia
http://www.aztrail4fms.org
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/29/2009, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, Sirena, sounds like it's the same one or similar (same brand) that BoyNHisDog recommends. We will definitely look into it!
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/29/2009, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Thanks, Sirena, sounds like it's the same one or similar (same brand) that BoyNHisDog recommends. We will definitely look into it!

Same brand, hers has down for the insulation and mine is synthetic for the insulation. Both will handle cold but the down will handle even more. I forget the ratings but they are far more than I will ever need. I think I have more pads than any other kind of gear, started out fine with none as a teenager, upped the comfort over the years though. The thick, insulated Exped mats are sinfully comfortable. They come in several sizes with various weights.

I found these at the Summit Hut last Fall. They got them out of the bags, showed how to inflate them and let us both try them out, the usual white glove treatment from those fine folks. They had both the Exped downmats and the synmats in the various sizes. Deciding to get a pair of them was very easy after that. They have performed for months now through fall, winter and the first bit of spring in various temperatures and terrains.
Suz

PostPosted: 4/1/2009, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:

Don’t worry about carrying all the stuff. I have Girlfriend carry the tent, both pads, all the food, cooking gear and most of the water. That way I can be ultralight but have a very comfy camp as well. She does just fine out there traveling across the vast expanses and that leave me freer to photograph her which is how I rationalize it.

I love these pictures and you are hysterical....you have a cabana girl, don't you?!
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 4/1/2009, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:

I love these pictures and you are hysterical....you have a cabana girl, don't you?!

Mr. Green Cabana girl along is a good thing.

However, I may have been slightly exaggerating Suz.

She does her part though and she does get to be the girl who has all the fun in the photography, starring in many photos during that week. On the other hand, I only got to star in one image. I set it up and had her trip the shutter. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: