ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPS and TOPO software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 1:04 pm    Post subject: GPS and TOPO software Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know that this has been cussed and discussed in another forum, but would like to bring it up here since that information is gone forever. I am very close to buying a GPS and would like some very basic info.
I am looking at the Etrex Legend and some sort of Topo software. The guys at Popular in Ahwatukee told me that the only compatible software is the Garmin Mapsource. The website for the National Geographic state-by-state software says that it is compatible with all Garmin models. Question
Anyway, I want to be able to upload and download waypoints to the software so I can chart out my hikes, pre and post. I like the NG software since I believe it has better resolution than the Garmin stuff.
Any suggestions?
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The people I know who are into GPS use Garmin, model 5 I believe but not sure. That too was lost on a post. I use Nat'l Geographic topo map software and really like it, it is just the USGS topo maps scanned at a very good resolution, with shaded relief added. The more recent versions have a place name search feature which is nice.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the Garmin Etrex Summit and when I asked on the old site, everybody with any GPS experience recommended the National Geographic software. There was never a question of it not being compatible with Garmin.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Someone mentioned that REI no longer sells topo maps. A good source, little known, is the State Land Department at 1616 W Adams. Last ones I bought there were $4-$4.50 each.

If you have time you can order them from the Eros Data Center in Sioux Falls, SD. Price is similar, but you pay $7 +/- for shipping, regardless of how many you order. This is a good source for out of state maps, like say, the Wind River Range in WY.

The Public Land Information Center, 222 N Central, will custom print you a 36 inch square topo with public/state/forest land ownership overlays for $15.
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A fine source for all things GPS/MAPS and COMPASS is Wide World of Maps. The Mesa location is great. I opted for the simple Garmin Etrex. I couldn't be happier.
website http://www.maps4u.com/ I'm learning topo map and compass navigation with actual topo maps and a compass Smile My Etrex just enhances the entire process. This morning I punched in the coordinates for a "Geocache" located some 12 miles away on remote BLM land. I tossed some water and snackes in the pak. And after some driving and a bunch of bushwacking located the "cache" under some rocks in a ammo can. My Etrex brought me within 10 feet of this little object. I had to use my old eyeballs for the rest. Unreal...
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I don't have to worry about compatibility after all. I am going to check in at Wide World of Maps. I seem to remember that name coming up on the other forum also. I'll keep you informed.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://4x4books.com/wftfeat.htm

Here is another site, I use Topo software and love it.
AZW1

PostPosted: 1/5/2003, 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've used the Garmin e-map for over a year and a half now. If something were to happen to it, we would buy another e-map to replace it! We bought it from this place in Northern Phoenix... http://www.bronco1gps.com/GARMIN-GPS-eMap/

Not sure if they still do it...but, when we bought it, the guy said we could come back anytime and he would download any of the metro or topo maps, for anywhere, to it for free!

AZW1
www.azwilderness.com
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/5/2003, 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good tip by Sredfield on the topo maps from AZ State land, very good price. Rockcrawler, enjoy your etrex. I have the same model and I am extremly pleased with it.
tracker

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI still sells Topos. On to the subject -- I just received for Christmas the Etrex basic model. It doesnt load maps but you can download your stored waypoints to mapping software. The unit is very easy to use.
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Always too early! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well.... I bought the Etrex Venture last Monday. Still learning how to use it, but I must say I like it. Doesn't look that complicated, but I did save 2 tracks and can't find either one Confused Like I said, still learning.

Now, to the part of the story that steams me and will hopefully help some of you. I bought it at Target on Chandler in Ahwatukee last Monday. I was in the store today and, as always, was looking in the camping section. They are having a clearance sale on the Venture for $85!!!
That's 1/2 price! Unfortunately, they didn't have any more or I would have bought one to sell on Ebay or something. I don't know if this was just a store thing or if the entire chain is clearing them out. If you look on the Target website, they don't even list them. No one else's website is advertising a clearance, so I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe Garmin is discontinuing them to make room for the Rino or their new Geko. They are also coming out with a PDA with GPS. Who's that for? Yuppies that need to find the nearest Starbucks??

Anyway, if you need a GPS, check out Target quickly!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a Etrex Vista and it has worked great with it. I have been able to upload waypoints, routes etc from National geographic TOPO maps (Best by far!).

Another resource for Maps -- lots of them...
Wide World of Maps http://www.maps4u.com/about.html
This is an excellent store (mesa). They are extremely helpful and allow you browse !
bzachar

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS and TOPO software Reply to topic Reply with quote

srlatty wrote:
I am looking at the Etrex Legend and some sort of Topo software. The guys at Popular in Ahwatukee told me that the only compatible software is the Garmin Mapsource. The website for the National Geographic state-by-state software says that it is compatible with all Garmin models.

What the guys at Popular are referring to is the ability to download *maps* to the GPSR (GPS receiver). Only Garmin maps can be download to Garmin GPSRs. Only Magellan maps can be downloaded to Magellan GPSRs.

Any of the major mapping programs can upload/download waypoints/routes/tracks to and from the big-name GPSRs. I have two Garmins and use NG TOPO! for all my pre-trip planning and post-trip analysis. I bought Garmin's MapSource Topo just to load the Topo *maps* into my GPSRs (you need a mapping GPSR like the Legend to do this).

The Garmin Topo software contains the same level of detail as a 1:100000 scale map. The NG TOPO! software contains actual scanned 1:24000 scale topo maps (7.5 ' quads).

More info at:
http://www.gpsnow.com/topomaps.htm
http://www.gpsnow.com/maptable.htm

Bill
bzachar

PostPosted: 3/4/2003, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ver 3.3.0 of NG TOPO! is available on their website. Rather than double-post all the details I'll just refer you to my post on the subject on HAZ under Gear & Food->GPS Software.

Bill
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 3/4/2003, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Upgrade looks interesting but now I get a map of the midwest each time I launch TOPO for AZ which is a pain Mad

Any ideas on a fix for this Question
bzachar wrote:
Ver 3.3.0 of NG TOPO! is available on their website. Rather than double-post all the details I'll just refer you to my post on the subject on HAZ under Gear & Food->GPS Software.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: