ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How far will you go for that image ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/1/2007, 10:27 am    Post subject: How far will you go for that image ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz and I saw a stunning gallery in Sedona and were impressed with his (Michael Fatali) stunning colors www.fatali.com.

So I looked him up online only to be dissappointed .... http://photo.net/bforum/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001i0p

Sad.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/1/2007, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah dissapointing for sure.
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 11/1/2007, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found out about this a couple of years ago after first seeing his images and displays in Page. And although I've walked through his gallery in Springdale this story certainly knocked the shine off his images....at least for me.

If not mistaken, I believe he was ultimately fined, given probation, and banned from entering Canyonlands and Arches for something like two years. I think he also had to forfeit all prints and negatives created during his fire lit workshops. Hopefully his students all learned this lesson as well.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/1/2007, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He prefers to use only natural light but I've never seen anything that would burn in proximity to delicate arch so his work isn't so natural. He is an exceptional photographer. His second galary is right next to REI here in Vegas. He's pretty popular here.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/1/2007, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
He prefers to use only natural light but I've never seen anything that would burn in proximity to delicate arch so his work isn't so natural. He is an exceptional photographer. His second galary is right next to REI here in Vegas. He's pretty popular here.

He claims to have only 2 galleries -- Springdale & Sedona on hos website. Must be a new one ....
IGO

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not new. But it's more like a store than a gallery.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! I had no idea. I WAS so in love with his work....now I'm just shocked.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Wow! I had no idea. I WAS so in love with his work....now I'm just shocked.

His large format work is very cool, I am sure much time is spent on capturing some stunning alignments of planets, light (natural or otherwise). . Photographs as art always have pushed the edges of what is natural - Its more a question of Ethics...

Further this was done on an Arizona Highways Photoworkshop. Arizonahighways dropped him immediately as an instructor and does not sell his works any longer.
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad
Some of his work I like, and some I really dislike. The above article certainly puts it all in a new perspective for me.
His pretentious image titles tweak me the wrong way too... Rolling Eyes
Suz

PostPosted: 11/3/2007, 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We did chuckle at some of the titles and the tweaked location listings. The photos somehow look more alive than flat photo images typically look. Great composition, beautiful locations, amazing exposures (unethical process) but I've got to attribute the unique qualities to the paper.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/3/2007, 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well his photography is not packaged for those who actually go to these places. Razz . They are more of a Mercedes thing don't cha know!? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: