ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Oppourtunity to get involved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/29/2007, 5:55 am    Post subject: Oppourtunity to get involved Reply to topic Reply with quote

VOAz is having a big event with REI this weekend. With the extra resources (not that VOAz doesn't do very well on its own) this would be a great time to try out one of the events.

Nov 3 - Nov 4
REI Fall Service Project - Realignment & Maintenance - Arizona & Pine Canyon Trails - Pine/Payson
Pine Trailhead serves as a connector to many trails which lead through one of the most peaceful and verdant canyons below the Mogollon Rim. Mountain maples, alders and oaks abound. Enjoy a rewarding weekend completing reroutes on the Pine Canyon and the Arizona Trail (Highline Segment) and closing social trails - all resulting in more sustainable trail and a more pleasant trail experience.

Primitive camping at 5,500 feet elevation. Additional fee-based camping with restrooms and showers is available at Houston Mesa Campground (20 minutes south in Payson). REI provides Saturday dinner, followed by an evening program featuring a great prize draw, and Sunday breakfast.

VOAz thanks our partners: REI (Sponsor); Tonto National Forest (Host); Arizona Trail Association

Advance registration on line or in store required.
Minimum Age: 12
Volunteers Needed: 125
Event Manager: Carla Olson Fact Sheet
Event Manager Email: caolson@rei.com
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/29/2007, 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of these times, I'll get to one of these. In the past I've almost signed up for a VOAz event or two but already had plans.
This time work interfers, my time is not my own these days... I can't commit and then have to back out due to changing work schedules.... Dang!!
Keep posting Shawn and I'll keep my eyes open for an opportunity.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
jdahling

PostPosted: 10/29/2007, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer -I cannot make it either. I will be in Canada (Edmonton) over the weekend.

Definitely next time.

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shawn

PostPosted: 11/4/2007, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was a great weekend. REI really put on a show, the first clue was a 15% coupon in the goody-bag, the second was a ton of killer raffle prizes. They gave away a bunch of Topo software, some great day packs, books, etc. I scored a hydration pack that I will put to good use. They also provided and prepared dinner and breakfast! Some of our AZ Hikers were there in the thick of it all.

I don't have clue as to the offical participant count but I'd guess 40-50. We re-built the trails at Pine Trailhead, closed a bunch of social and wildcat trails and closed a road. Lots of manual labor-pick axe and McCloud work. Makes a bunch more sense than the gym.

Doug and Nell who some of us met at Hart Prairie a few months ago were there, regretting missing the Reavis Ranch trip, and looking for the next event.

The ATA and VOAz were there as well, so lots of familiar faces. A great time and THANKS REI.
Shawn

PostPosted: 4/30/2008, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pic' s from the Montezuma Well project. Good times had by all . . .

http://picasaweb.google.com/voazalbums/VOAzMontezumaWell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: