ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
photo printing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 10:20 pm    Post subject: photo printing Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to view a fabulous gallery in Sedona this evening.(sure wish I could remember the guy's name...maybe Ambika will jump in here with that info) Many unique things about the artist. I left being very curious about the metalic paper used in printing.

Is this available for my digital images?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michael fatali

http://www.fatali.com/

I think the process was Cibachrome on Mylar

Fatali original photographs are individually hand printed using lifochrome classic paper, formally known as Cibachrome. This artistic form of printmaking offers unparalleled stability of color and image depth like no other we have ever seen. Fatali is committed to making his photographs by hand using the "old" classic optical process, instead of "new" digital technologies which are often used for image manipulation and conformity. No computer imaging is used in his darkroom. There are very few master printers who possess the skills and knowledge of this process. The materials required to make fine Cibachrome prints are also becoming more difficult to obtain. The Cibachrome process is likely to be discontinued in the near future. This has made Fatali's Cibachrome prints a rare and rapidly collectable art in the world of photography
Suz

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

so was that a NO? dunno
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
so was that a NO? dunno

I am sure you can find some or learn to do the processing yourself. Large format film + processing and printing
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 10/28/2007, 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You mean you guys didn't visit his gallery, and primary location, in downtown Springdale?

Yes, his prints show nicely, but as mentioned he's using products that are deemed to have a short life ahead of them. You might want to check out some of the labs that print on the newest digital printers. I can print up to 13x19 at home, but for larger prints I use West Coast Imaging. They do a great job for reasonable prices and their customer service is incredible.

http://www.westcoastimaging.com
Suz

PostPosted: 10/28/2007, 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We tried to visit the gallery but timing was off...either too early or too late.....that backpacking stuff gets in the way of shopping sometimes.

I can get really nice 13x19 prints at home on my HP9800 but nothing compared to Fatali's images. I've tried ordering larger prints from Costco and was very happy....except the image came rolled up!!?? I'll check out your link, thanks.
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 10/28/2007, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

West Coast ships your print flat, not rolled. Check out their Pre-Flight prints. You prep the file and they simply print it. Their Fuji Crystal Archive glossy paper printed on the Chromira printer is nice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: