ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Photographics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmacmike

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Photographics Reply to topic Reply with quote

Digital Sherpa your photographs are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 1:07 pm    Post subject: amazing Reply to topic Reply with quote

OMG! These photographs are exceptional! This zoomed-in or cropped of previous gets Best of Show! It has it all: Composition, color, light, texture, contrast, emotion... I Love it! Very nice photography indeed DS.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvm49&id=BC1037s_800&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
mmacmike

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what type of camera did you use Sherpa?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmacmike wrote:

With regards to most serious amateurs and professional photographers, this question is usually taken as an insult. DS obviously knows what he is doing behind the lens of his camera. Props should be given to him, his creativity and his knowledge of photography, not to the camera he is using.
Sorry for the mini-rant. I get this question a lot and it bugs the heck out of me!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
mmacmike wrote:

With regards to most serious amateurs and professional photographers, this question is usually taken as an insult. DS obviously knows what he is doing behind the lens of his camera. Props should be given to him, his creativity and his knowledge of photography, not to the camera he is using.
Sorry for the mini-rant. I get this question a lot and it bugs the heck out of me!

Agreed! Its not just the gear but so much more the imagination, craft and the perseverance to get the image.

That said -- gear does make a difference. You may be able to create the image using most devices by to get a high fidelity image -- gear does play a part.
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple of sayings come to mind on this thread. “You can teach a person to paint, but you can’t teach them to be an artist.” Or “You can teach someone to cook, but you can’t teach them to be a Chef”. It will come sooner or later. In my case with digital cameras I have a feeling it might be the "later". Very Happy
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DS- Those were great shots you have. Keep posting them please!
mmacmike

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone with confidence in their ability wouldn't take that question as an insult. You obviously didn't take the time to view my profile. I am also a landscape photographer and would never look to insult anyone's work. The question I asked was coming from one professional to another on the camera equipment used. I took the time to view Sherpa's photos and then went back to the forum to post a nice comment on how I really admired his work. I was in the camera shop last week getting some prints blow up for a client of mine and the person helping me stated that she really liked my work then went on to ask me about the equipment I use. Was I supposed to be insulted? Of course not my work speaks for itself.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We all talk about gear/equipment around here........... backpacks, tents, bladders, stoves, shoes, clothes, etc. Do any of these questions take away from any of our hikers/backpackers physical ability????? Have any of us ever been offended by these questions regarding our gear??? I don't see why photography is any different. I've asked several people about their photographic equipment when I was considering upgrading. I certainly hope that none of them felt insulted!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Digital Sherpa

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

First off, many thanks to all regarding the nice comments about the photos. I'm glad they're being enjoyed. That's what it's supposed to be about, sharing our collective experiences out there with people who have similar interests. I'll take a tiny bit of credit, but Mother Nature did the heavy lifting...

Stan, you have great taste...that was my favorite as well. I already have a huge print hanging under glass.

Mike, no worries. I understand what Matt is saying but I didn't take your question as an insult. There's lots of threads on this board discussing gear, and camera equipment shouldn't be any different. I know I've learned a tremendous amount from everyone here and greatly enjoy their trip reports and photos.

I'm currently using a Nikon D2x digital SLR, along with a variety of Nikon lenses, ranging from 12mm to 200mm. No one will ever mistake me for an ultralight hiker, which is how I earned the Digital Sherpa nickname. I switched to a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod to shave a few pounds but I still haul the lenses everytime I go out. Anyway, it ultimately doesn't matter the brand, or model, or # of pixels, but rather if a particular camera is the right piece of gear for you based on your needs and the type of photography you want to do.

Ron
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holy Moly!

mmacmike, you are right; I didn't look at your profile. Had I known you are a photographer also, I wouldn't have opened my big, fat mouth. Now I know the context of your question. Definitely would not be taken as an insult. But gimme a little slack. I'm sure you know what I'm saying. So many people who are not photographers will look at a great image and immediately ask what kind of camera took the image. These people seriously believe it was the camera and not the photographer that was responsible for creating the image. I was not saying that you personally were insulting DS or his work. I was just saying that it could be taken that way.

I disagree with the notion that gear plays an important part in creating a great image. There are people who can create fantastic works of art with a pinhole camera that would blow away anything that I could do with my fancy-pants DSLR.

jmzblond, there is a difference between someone asking about your camera because they are interested in the camera itself, and someone asking about the camera because they think the camera took a great picture. The camera didn't do it. You did.
If you want to use the gear comparison: Imagine you just finished hiking 20 miles in a day. Someone comments that your pack must have been light. You would probably be slightly offended. It's your physical conditioning that played a bigger factor in hiking the 20 miles than did the weight of your pack. Just as your creativity and knowledge of photography play a bigger role in creating a great image than does the camera you are using.
mmacmike

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt your right I've seen some people take photos with point and shoot camera's that look amazing!!!! I'm a "gear freak" and always ask people about their equipment.

So here goes sherpa. I see you said you picked up a Gitzo tripod. Everytime I see one I really want to buy it but THE PRICES!!!!! lol lol I could almost get another camera body for what they cost. I was at the Photographers show in NYC last week and was speaking to a rep for Gitzo. He almost sold me on one but the price was $300. I just couldn't see spending that on a tripod. How do you like yours? Does it make a real difference in traveling? I'm so on the fence with this but I think I'm going to break soon.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

With regards to most serious amateurs and professional photographers, this question is usually taken as an insult.

I don't think anyone around this group knows, mostly because I don't talk about here, but I belong to an International Photo "Community" of thousands of serious amateur and professional photographers. I've put your theory to my own test. So far, no one from Denmark, Holland, Germany, England, Australia, or from several other US states agree with your statement. Maybe I travel in a more gracious circle of serious amateurs and professional photographers... who knows.

Quote:

jmzblond, there is a difference between someone asking about your camera because they are interested in the camera itself, and someone asking about the camera because they think the camera took a great picture. The camera didn't do it. You did.

I don't think I've ever come across or heard of anyone believing that the person behind the camera isn't the one responsible for a photograph; that it is all camera.

Quote:
If you want to use the gear comparison: Imagine you just finished hiking 20 miles in a day. Someone comments that your pack must have been light. You would probably be slightly offended.

Actually, I don't need to imagine. I've lived this scenario. And I've hiked w/ people that have lived this scenario. I've never felt anything close to offended, slightly or otherwise. Usually if I'm doing 20 miles in a day, my pack IS light!

Hikers and backpackers that are "serious" about their hobby, most likely also use "serious" gear. I believe photography is the same. How many "professionals" do you know of that still use a 1 megapixel camera?? Or even a 3?? Aren't they just as good with or without the 12 megapixels?? Shouldn't their talent still be just as good? But it doesn't really matter if they are or aren't just as good, the more "serious" one becomes in regards to any endeavor, the more "serious" their tools of the trade become as well. And even with that being said, with all of the photo manipulation software these days, are there really so many talented photographers out there, or are they just really good with a computer?? Swapping out different foregrounds and backgrounds, erasing flaws, changing colors, shadows, lighting, dodging details for enhancement, cropping for better composition, removing images from the photo altogether or inserting ones that was never there in the first place, etc, etc, etc............... When exactly does a photograph stop being a photograph, and a photographer become a digital graphics manipulator instead of one with actual "photographic" talent or having that "artistic eye"???

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been curious about carbon fiber tripods too. They are really expensive, but aside from that, I was wondering if their light weight makes them less stable in some situtations (high wind). I am in the market for a new tripod; one of the flip-locks broke on mine. Sad
I am leaning towards this one: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/13145/lang/en
threedogz

PostPosted: 10/27/2007, 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DS -
I just took the time to look at all the photographs you posted...
What amazing eye candy!

Thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: