ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
CDT Yo-Yo completed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
American_Idol wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:
I would rather see a story about a guy that sacrificed a bit and took a trek like that. Just an average joe not a retired CEO of some fortune 500 company taking the rest of his life off.

So there is my anal rant I guess.

nicely put. I think the guy you're looking for is called Tommy.

Ha - good one.

I understand where you're coming from. But, on the OTHER hand, I kind of admire (massively envious of) a guy who works his A$$ off for years like he obviously has, making loads of cash, and then rewards himself with an adventurous 'rest of his life.'

I see where your coming from too, more power to him for working 10 years and now traveling the world. Sure I guess I'm envious of that. Do you really need to post your resume on your website though?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Tommy wrote:
American_Idol wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:
I would rather see a story about a guy that sacrificed a bit and took a trek like that. Just an average joe not a retired CEO of some fortune 500 company taking the rest of his life off.

nicely put. I think the guy you're looking for is called Tommy.

Ha - good one.

I understand where you're coming from. But, on the OTHER hand, I kind of admire (massively envious of) a guy who works his A$$ off for years like he obviously has, making loads of cash, and then rewards himself with an adventurous 'rest of his life.'

I think he also uses his website for motivational speaking etc .... at 1st I found it odd but then thinking about it..if he looking for corporate cash for motivational speaking his prior resume comes in quite handy!

I see where your coming from too, more power to him for working 10 years and now traveling the world. Sure I guess I'm envious of that. Do you really need to post your resume on your website though?

ftapon

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 6:16 pm    Post subject: How Spoiled is Francis Tapon Anyway? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I liked his anal rants, but the more I read on the guys site I don't really care for him. Seems spoiled. I like his 10 year plan or whatever he calls if. Travel to this county, right book, travel to that country right a book and so on. Obliviously not hurting for money or anything. I would rather see a story about a guy that sacrificed a bit and took a trek like that. Just an average joe not a retired CEO of some fortune 500 company taking the rest of his life off.

Davis: Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts! I understand how you came to your conclusions. I just want to give you some additional input and then you can decide if your initial assessment was accurate.

You're right, I'm spoiled. However, I'm probably not as spoiled as you (or others) might think. I'm certainly not a retired CEO of a Fortune 500 company (I don't think you believe that I am, but some who don't do the research you did might think you're being 100% serious). I'm simply a guy who worked in low to mid level posts in two big companies.

Although my salary was above the American average, the main reason I accumulated a lot of savings is that I lived like a thru-hiker. I've never owned a TV, sofa, chair, or even a bed. And I'm 37 years old. I bike to most places and when I owned a car, it was a pretty beat up one. Today I'm driving the same car I had in high school, 20 years ago. And I share it with my brother. In short, I've always lived well below my means, even though all my business school classmates were living it up.

I'm sharing this info in this forum not to brag or make people like me more because I've "sacrificed a bit." I don't feel I've sacrificed anything because I've always loved my life and I don't desire material stuff.

Instead, I'm sharing this info because I'm always asked how I manage to live the life I live. I got so tired of people asking me that question (and I got especially tired of people who assume I can do it because I'm a millionnaire) that I decided to write an entire book to answer the question.

The book, as American_Idol pointed out, is Hike Your Own Hike. American_Idol says it's one of his favorite books (thank you!). Although it's not my favorite book, it doesn't completely suck.

I encourage everyone to subscribe to my newsletter and you'll get access to Chap 2 of the book which shares the secrets of managing your money. You can also download Chap 1 off my website for free.

Moreover, you might want to listen to Part 2 of my interview with Backpackinglight.com. It's all about how you can afford to backpack for a living.

Regarding my resume on my website, Desertgirl is correct. Since I hardly make any income off my book (and I give half of that royalty to the AT, PCT, and CDT), I sometimes need to consult to make some extra cash so I don't have to dive in dumpsters for food (although I have done that). I've been lucky that some employers have found my resume in their searches and have made me job offers. Unfortunately, most of the offers are for full time positions not temp stuff, but I keep the resume up on my website because it does help me find short-term gigs. It's also nice to just point to it on an email since some employers dislike attachments.

Finally, I'm a personal life coach. It's a new (albeit small) source of revenue. Before someone hires me to coach them, they want to know my background. A resume is a decent way to see someone's background succinctly.

All this info is probably way more information than anyone cares to know, but I just want to clear up any misunderstandings or incorrect assumptions.

I appreciate that folks like Tommy and Desertgirl stepped in to provide a different perspective. Smile

Happy trails,
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/2/2007, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I may (ok I probably was) quick to judge you. As Tommy said he & I am very envious of what you've been able to do and accomplish, as well as how you've managed to live your life. I didn't mean that you were actually a retired CEO of a fortune 500 company but some nice jobs IMO, but as it is the internet some people would take that the wrong way.

Judging from this as well as your other post and some more stuff I had read of yours you do sound like a great guy. I did get a good kick out of the anal rant blog and will keep my trekking poles still Smile

I'm a big fan of the "Hike your own hike" theory, may just need to pick up your book on the topic now.

-TIM-
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/6/2007, 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I enjoyed the "Rant" as well. I have to agree, that much verbage about pack weight really is anal! : )
mmacmike

PostPosted: 11/6/2007, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great Stuff ftapon. I admire your "lifestyle" I found your site about 2 weeks ago and have been reading all your stuff up there. WOW I wish I could do the trip you just did. The way I see it is that you have a game plan in life and have executed it. Many only wish they could do that. I for one wish that. As far as your resume being up on your site. It's your website and if it gets you work well then you resume should be up there. No matter how you slice it in this world we all need to make a living. This is why many would like to but don't live in rural little towns. The money just isn't there. But is sounds like to me that you have found a solution on how to do this. Many will state why something can't be achieved but, a small few will find how something can be achieved. You are part of the small few. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
IGO

PostPosted: 11/6/2007, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
I enjoyed the "Rant" as well. I have to agree, that much verbage about pack weight really is anal! : )

Amen. Wink
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmacmike wrote:
This is why many would like to but don't live in rural little towns. The money just isn't there.

Hmmmm......not sure how to put this. I live in a small rural town entirely by choice, and, very true, it's hard FOR ME to make a living here, especially since I am a person who doesn't fit in as far as getting (or keeping) the bureaucratic-type jobs (hospital, county), etc. I think it is entirely possible to make a decent living in a town like this. Most of my neighbors seem to be doing just fine. You have to be flexible as to employment. Or maybe you can think of a small business to start that might be a go. Furthermore, if you lived like that guy who wrote Hike Your Own Hike does, you could really coast!

The only people in my town who are not doing well at all are the loser drug addicts. They look, smell, act, complain and behave exactly like the ones in Tucson and Phoenix. It's not where you are so much as what you do with your life.
mmacmike

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sorry thought i was logged in on that last post. (Deleted previous post- moderator)

Great Point azbackpackr. And I agree with you, I guess the question is how much money does one need to live? For me and my wife our concern is having health benefits and making enough money to enjoy our "outdoor" life style. What I do for a living to me isn't work. It's what I love. And the question I always ask myself is if I was wealthy would I still teach martial arts and display my photography for free? and the answer is YES!!!! when that "yes" becomes a "no" then I know it's time to move on for me. I think it's great that you live in a place that provides you with the lifestyle you enjoy. Most people live where they do cause of the money they make but wish they were somewhere else.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We sure could use a good martial arts school here. The last one closed because the owners are in prison for child molestation. Mad (I knew the kid, too.)
mmacmike

PostPosted: 11/7/2007, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya know it's really sad to hear stuff like this. It's amazing when you look into a criminal's mind. Like you and I go to work and "work hard" to succeed, the criminal to works hard and plans out his/her strategy to best fit their crime. I hate to see things like this happen to children. With that said I'd love to come out to Arizona and teach self defense and martial arts Very Happy . Someday it's my plan to head out that way and still teach but on a part time basic's this way I can enjoy all the outdoor adventures. I'm now doing personal protection programs for Corporate America. One of the corporations I'm not doing stuff with is Dress Barn. They have stores through out the east coast along with Texas and I believe New Mexico. I have a meeting with them next week about doing the security training for their store level employees. If this goes through I may be traveling out west And I'll make it a point to let them know how important it is for the New Mexico stores to be trained lol lol lol. Check out my website if you like www.reactprograms.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: