ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
CDT Yo-Yo completed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/24/2007, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is quite an achievement but isn't he still on the trail? I couldn't find where he's finished it on his website. Did enjoy his blogs.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 10/24/2007, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He finished today (10/24)

Kerouac
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/24/2007, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sorry George he hasnt updated his website yet, I guess I jumped the gun. A nice trip indeed and all with a sub 7 lb pack!

what i do
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome! I like his stoveless cooking method. Thanks for the link!
Tommy

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Man, that is an incredible accomplishment!! He has a great site. I especially liked his "anal backpacker" gear rant.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got finished reading the Anal backpacker sections, that was funny. Still going to use my poles though. I like his approach to weighing things, more realistic for sure.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

some of the anal rants are directly related to ideas he has written into his book, "Hike Your Own Hike".
Im mixed about using poles or not as Ive tried both methods, but need them for my tarps.
After looking at Skurka's pole, Im considering carbon fiber for sure. He even got some new REI brand carbon poles that were considerably lighter than my Leki's. I think there is a photo of Tom holding Skurka's pole in the Reavis pics.

what i do
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That pole was craaazy light, and not to mention durable

Kerouac
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I liked his anal rants, but the more I read on the guys site I don't really care for him. Seems spoiled. I like his 10 year plan or whatever he calls if. Travel to this county, right book, travel to that country right a book and so on. Obliviously not hurting for money or anything. I would rather see a story about a guy that sacrificed a bit and took a trek like that. Just an average joe not a retired CEO of some fortune 500 company taking the rest of his life off.

So there is my anal rant I guess.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I would rather see a story about a guy that sacrificed a bit and took a trek like that. Just an average joe not a retired CEO of some fortune 500 company taking the rest of his life off.

nicely put. I think the guy you're looking for is called Tommy.

what i do
Tommy

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

American_Idol wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:
I would rather see a story about a guy that sacrificed a bit and took a trek like that. Just an average joe not a retired CEO of some fortune 500 company taking the rest of his life off.

nicely put. I think the guy you're looking for is called Tommy.

Ha - good one.

I understand where you're coming from. But, on the OTHER hand, I kind of admire (massively envious of) a guy who works his A$$ off for years like he obviously has, making loads of cash, and then rewards himself with an adventurous 'rest of his life.'
mmacmike

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just found this guys website he is doing the great western loop trail which is a 6,875 trail that goes through 8 different states including Arizona. check the link below.
http://www.andrewskurka.com/
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmacmike wrote:
Just found this guys website he is doing the great western loop trail which is a 6,875 trail that goes through 8 different states including Arizona. check the link below.
http://www.andrewskurka.com/

You obviously didn't read the October GHOTM trip report http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6959

and this thread...(although you can probably skip the first 3 pages or so... Rolling Eyes ) http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6036&start=60

several of us met Andrew after the Reavis hike, and a few others just met up with him a couple of days later!

Check out the Reavis GHOTM pics in the gallery, there are a few in there of him. Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/25/2007, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and paint's right... he does have cute dimples Too Cool

what i do
mmacmike

PostPosted: 10/26/2007, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your right paintninaz I didn't read this section of the forum. If I did i wouldn't of posted my above post. Things do get over looked sometimes.

Read it now great writeup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Lightweight Backpacking All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: