ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Reavis Ranch Trip Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
threedogz

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reavis Ranch Trip Report Reply to topic Reply with quote

AZH Reavis Ranch Trip Report

Friday October 19th
On Friday morning, I met up with Tracy and Tom and headed over to the trailhead on a long, rough and winding dirt road. Rumor has it that a certain AZH member likes to drive really fast on this road; the same thing was said in the other carpool trek with Stan, Emily and Anne. I think the member’s name rhymes with Fooli.

We started on the trail at 1158 and the hike up was uneventful besides having to practically step over another hiker who was lounging on the trail. Tracy did lose the tip of her trekking pole, which was later recovered on the hike down by eagle eye Stan. I got the first feel of my new backpack with more weight than I ever packed and it was a fairly comfortable hike. I used trekking poles which I usually don’t and they took more to get used to than anything. I seemed to like them better when I went downhill, but if that seems a little backwards, then it fits me well.

When Tracy, Tom and I approached the saddle, we joined Stan, Emily and Anne who were basking in the shade of the large Alligator Juniper. We all introduced each other and I found it rather amusing to have to match our AZH username with our true identity. What a bunch of computer nerds we are. We then enjoyed snacks and some conversation and decided to get moving so we could snatch the south end of the campground.

Setting up camp was uneventful, we were chatting around the fire, eating and eagerly waiting for Tony to arrive. That he did about 1815’ish, depending on whose watch you asked. It was rather chilly that night, eventually; we all stumbled into the tents and called it a night. Anne who was tented next to me was just as restless as I was and heard her tossing and turning all night. I kept on hearing plastic noises and thought my food bag fell off the tree and the nightly rodents were having a feast. I have come to realize that it was the tent making the noise every time a slight breeze rolled through. However, later on I heard 3 consecutive strange cries in the night, it sounded like maybe it was some kind of cat. I told a few in the morning about it and didn’t think too much about it.

Saturday, October 20th, 2007
Mule Jerky, careless campers, spurs, missing saw, raptors and a Hooli Shirt…
In the morning, Tom realized one of the saws he packed in was missing. We all remember seeing it near a rock the night before, so you can’t blame his memory on this one. Everyone had stories in why the saw was missing, but as a group, we somehow kept on joking about somebody using to cut up the mule to make some jerky out of it.
Well, Tom did warn us about the dead mule at the Reavis Ranch. It was there, decomposing with many stages of flies feasting on the putrid flesh. I didn’t take a picture of it. I thought it would be disrespectful and passed on the opportunity. I’m not sure of the circumstances of the death in this equine, but looking at its hooves and what was left of his coat, he/she looked well cared for.

Two other hikers alerted us about the careless hikers/campers who left two fires burning along with a bunch of food items they left behind (see the images posted). One fire they explained still had large flames and was going pretty good. They explained that they did their best to put it out and for us to check on it. And, for the “Greater Good”, AZH’ers made a difference and did their part by extinguishing the rest of the campfires left behind by inconsiderate and selfish hikers/campers/cowboyisms.

A spur of the moment thing… I was casually following a deer trail that passed the camp into some trees, when I was headed back; I happen to come across some spurs hanging from a tree. Well, they seemed to be a big hit with Tom. He wore them proudly on his Teva’s and climbed a rock near the campfire. And, for one small moment in time, Tom was a cowboy. The images are in the gallery and this is where the saying “one picture is worth a thousand words” comes from.

Later that evening… after being amused by conversations between Stan and Emily and eating appetizers offered by Tom and Tracy , Tom’s recent b-day was resurrected at the campfire from the original leader of this outing who backed out to attend some dog show event. He received a t-shirt with Hooli’s avatar image on the front. There will be pictures in the gallery by Tony I’m sure.

This is more like Sunday morning, but I will mention briefly in Saturday nights events. That night Stan and Tom heard the same creature with the 3 cries that sounded like some kind of raptor. When they described it, it sounded like the same noise I heard the night before. Perhaps that is the creature that stole Tom’s saw and went to go use it on the dead mule to make mule jerky. Regardless with how the story goes, Reavis Ranch has some strange happenings around there.

Sunday, October 21, 2007
Pack, hike, and an awe inspiring encounter with Andrew Skurka
Sunday was windy and cooler, much cooler. We packed and headed down the trail about 0900’ish. We took a few breaks heading down, visited the Reavis grave site and pushed on. We arrived at the vehicles about 1245. Tom and Tracy offered beers from the cooler which were quite refreshing and well needed.

Now, if cold beer wasn’t enough of a good ending to an awesome adventure, this guy who all of a sudden shows up in marathon looking attire with “Go-Lite logos” looked like he had some mishaps with cacti carrying minimal equipment arrives at the trailhead. I’m not sure who introduced conversation first, I think it was Tom who asked the guy “Where did you come from”, or something like “How did you get here”. Well, conversation led into an awe inspiring moment and we all realized this guy is “Andy”, but not just “Andy”, he is Andrew Skurka. I half hazardly listened to most of the conversation and watched Tom and Stan gather snacks to give to Andrew. He happily took a quite a few. Before we really knew who he was, I took one picture. As he started explaining more about what he was doing and what he did, I began to take a few more shots. After a few shots I felt like I was violating his privacy like the paparazzi does, but I do have some good images of him, his gear and Tom and Tracy holding his trekking pole (his other one broke). I am not going to explain what Andrew Skurka is all about here, his website will explain everything. Just keep an eye out for the next National Geographic Adventurer of the year; someone hinted it may be Andrew.

Anyway, he shared with us a small video of his encounter with a rattle snake earlier that day which coiled and struck at his camera while he was shooting the footage. Andrew also recorded Tom’s name and phone number and AZH in Andrews’s personal recorder he packed. Keep tabs on his updates from his adventures, perhaps AZH will be quoted in his blogs.

Well, I'm exhausted after writing this, if I forgot to add any details, please do so....

Thanks again everyone for the good times.
Heidi
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thumbs up Applause Applause Applause

Nice.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 12:59 pm    Post subject: reavis Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent trip report Heidi, can't wait to see the photos!

Very enjoyable weekend! Emily and I had a wonderfule time, well except when I was being mean to her, LOL. What those three short screams we heard early AM Sunday and Heidi heard Saturday were I'm not sure, but I have never heard that animal noise before. If I had to guess I'd have to go with a ticked off cat but not a long and drawn out yell but short, almost like a bark. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense but this was a wierd sound. Emily woke me up around two in the AM Sunday to tell me that there was something "big" rummaging through the campsite. Just as I started to fall back asleep I heard the three screams and a shot of adrenaline shot through me. Emily asked me "what was that?" and I said to her "a dog?". She quickly replied, "I don't think so dad, I told you something was out there!"

Really enjoyed meeting and getting acquainted with Anne and Heidi. All of us had lots of laughs and fun around the campfire and the little side excursions we took around the ranch, exploring and putting out fires.

The meeting up with Andrew was such a bonus to this trip. Andrew is an extremely exuberant young man who chose to do some extremely challenging feats, that require more sacrifice than one can imagine. The reward is the experience and having done it. I do believe we will hear much more about Andrew in the future. Very few have accomplished what he has. Here is a link to his website: http://www.andrewskurka.com
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some of the photos are up in the gallery.

Great job, Heidi! Very cool.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sure am sad I missed all the excitement, at least you could blame the strange animal noises on my snoring. I would have enjoyed meeting Andrew Skurka as well as some of the people I haven't met yet too.

Heidi, I find trekking poles much more usefull on downhills as well. I think that is just normal. Sounded like your pack fit well and you enjoyed your first overnight. Backpacks always add an extra level of enjoyment to a trip for me.

Can't wait to see all the pictures, sad Emma and I couldn't make it to the ranch with you guys.

-Tim-
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very nice photos Heidi (paperazzi girl). I particularly like the one of Andy with treking pole in the shadow and of course the one of emily so close to the deer. Very Nice!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! I always miss the good ones! As it turns out it was lucky I wasn't there as you guys may have ended up carrying me out or at the very least burying me under the rocks as my back went out on me Sunday morning and walking isn't something I am doing really well right now! It actually looks quite comical when I try and walk.... think....old lady with big butt and curvature of the spine!

Great pictures Heidi! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures! It's always nice to get a good report when you can't go!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great trip report and pictures Heidi, I think you covered it all!!! Agree

Not sure what that sound was Sun. morning either...but I've heard a lot of pissed off cats and none ever sounded like that! Shocked that was pretty bizarre.

Stan, thanks for finding my trekking pole tip...not sure how you spotted it, I was even looking for it on the way back and still walked right past it! Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
oliverr99

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Couldn't of said it better myself!!! I don't think I could have done a report like that. Great job Heidi. Love the photos. I am glad you posted the ones of the deer, as my camera was in my tent, where the deer were. Noise? What noise. I guess I was too busy tossing and turning that I did not hear a thing. Also, earplugs help a lot when sleeping outdoors. They also don't weigh much!
Nice pictures Heidi. Thanks for posting them. Meeting Andrew was sure a pleasure. Backpacking with AZH group was even better!!!
Tommy

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, good report. that was fun to read! I'm sad I missed this one.. Sad especially since you all got to meet Mr. Skurka.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Emily, it was nice seeing you this weekend. My female friends call me Buck. Here is a picture of myself, look familar?
[url][/url]
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Hi Emily, it was nice seeing you this weekend. My female friends call me Buck. Here is a picture of myself, look familar?
[url][/url]

Yes, very familiar! It looked me right in the eye! Very Happy
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Emily did write that and yes I do believe that is the same little buck.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Great trip report and pictures Heidi, I think you covered it all!!! Agree

Not sure what that sound was Sun. morning either...but I've heard a lot of pissed off cats and none ever sounded like that! Shocked that was pretty bizarre.

Stan, thanks for finding my trekking pole tip...not sure how you spotted it, I was even looking for it on the way back and still walked right past it! Rolling Eyes

It was pretty much burried but the part sticking out just looked peculiar so I stopped and dug it up. Did not even know you were missing it.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Wow, good report. that was fun to read! I'm sad I missed this one.. Sad especially since you all got to meet Mr. Skurka.

We mentioned your trek during our chat with Andy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: