ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Luke Jets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/18/2007, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Luke Jets Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where and when is the best time to observe the jets from Luke AFB. Both take off and landings.

When I was heading north on the Beeline to go camping last week I observed 2 F-16's make a low pass over Sunflower and flew South above the Beeline. Reminded me of the time I use to go down to Williams AFB and watch the jets.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/18/2007, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It just depends on the squadrons flying schedules. Some weeks they are afternoon or night flying more than others. My favorite time out here is in the morning when the sun is just coming up and the white tanks start getting light on them, especially if you can time it with a full moon setting at the same time. Most days there is not a lot of activity at that time.

As for the best place to watch, it would probably be off of northern, they usually land from that direction (South)
aspen_oaks

PostPosted: 10/18/2007, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

today secruity forces were kicking people off of northern for watching jets......but that is the 2nd time in two years I have seen them do that.....so who knows....
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/18/2007, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Observed two FA- 18's about a week ago and thought I observed one of the new Raptors as well.
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/22/2007, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Williams Gateway can be an interesting place to plane watch. They are upgrading the T-38 fleet out there and other military aircraft frequently land there.

A couple years ago my wife and I were there testing a new lens when a squad of F18's landed and taxied to park right in front of us. The Col invited us to come out as he opened the canopy, the security guy came around and let us in!

http://www.pbase.com/tfaust/marines_11603

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Weekdays are best. I live in Surprise and if I'm home on a Mon or Tues -= there are planes all over the place. You can catch a really good show of them landing and bringing in all the planes at about dusk. Try parking off Dysart and 2 or 3 blocks south of Cactus - they fly right over your head and you can see the tail burners.

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: