ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Pedometer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cakewalk

PostPosted: 10/10/2003, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Pedometer? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anybody ever use a pedometer? Are they accurate? Are they worth the money?

Im sure this is just a passing interest, but was curious as to what " yall " thought..

Discuss......
ck1

PostPosted: 10/10/2003, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember that that Zuma's brought this up a few years back...I remember the overall feeling was that they weren't accurate. I can't say from personal use, I just always questioned the accuracy on anything other than a bike path type trail. Anytime you'd do any climbing I'd think the results would be off.

CW, perhaps you'd be interested in the next wave of pedometerhttp://www.timex.com/spd/

"The Journey is the Destination"
srlatty

PostPosted: 10/10/2003, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My wife bought one a couple of years ago. You have to set it up for your stride length. So if you walk, it's one length. If you run, it's another length. If you do any type of trail that changes the length of your stride, it still counts that as the length that you have set.

They are probably pretty accurate if you are walking around a level track and not breaking stride. For what we do, not worth the trouble nor the cost!
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 10/10/2003, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yes, no and no.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 10/11/2003, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone..... I agree that its probably not worth the the cost, or the effort....

The GPS thing is pretty cool, but an altimiter is probably more useful.
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/11/2003, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Garmin etrex Summit GPS has built in electronic compass and altimeter.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
bzachar

PostPosted: 10/11/2003, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GPS provides 3D fixes (lat, lon & altitude). The altitude is not affected by passing weather systems as traditional air-pressure based altimeters are.

The active track log in Garmin GPSRs also saves the altitude so after your trip you can download your actual 3-dimensional path which includes lat & lon (or whatever grid system you prefer) and altitude.

Bill
Wiz

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A pedometer.
Doesn't Michael Jackson use one of those...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: