ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Matt is Moving
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Matt is Moving Reply to topic Reply with quote

So, uh...I didn't want to say anything till things are 100% for sure, but I've already let the cat out of the bag, so here goes.

Liz and I will moving to Ohio at the end of this month. I don't have an exact date yet; we are in the preliminary stages. Liz got a promotion at her job, which comes with a transfer to New Philadelphia, OH (about 30 miles south of Canton). She officially starts there on Oct 6.

We have lots of things to do. We have to have two realtors look at our home, get it appraised, and make trips to Ohio to find a new place to live. We have to make our house as flawless as possible to minimize our loss on investment (which her company is helping us out on). We spent most of our weekend doing house and wedding stuff instead of hiking, but we managed to visit Mt. Graham today (Monday).

I really can't make plans to go anywhere because I have no idea at this point what we are doing. This week should be very informative and productive. I know for sure that we are going to Ohio on 9/19-9/21 to look at houses. I already have some picked out, I just need to schedule appts to look at them.

I'm looking forward to seeing my family more often; they're in PA, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of new adventures in Ohio. There is a plethora of lakes within an hour drive and West Virginia, my favorite state east of the Mississippi, is very close by.
But...I'm going to miss Arizona...a lot! I've made the best friends here and had the best adventures here. I am going to visit as often as possible in the winter. I should be able to fly stand-by on Continental (I have connections). I have many Grand Canyon trips planned that cannot go undone. So many things to do...

I'll miss you guys, but I'll still be a part of this website, just like all of our other out-of-state friends. Who knows? Maybe in a few years I'll be back!
PageRob

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why Matt, why? Who am I am going to do Petrified Forest trips with? Sad

Seriously,best of luck to both you and Liz out there. Sorry to see you go, but you'll be back around too - especially if you stick around this website, you won't be able to resist making trips back here often!
RC

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be sure to put Hocking Hills on your list of things to do in OH. This area SE of Columbus has a series of parks with lots of trails, cliffs, caves and a designated rock climbing area.
If you like amusement parks, check out Cedar Point & Kings Island next summer. They both have some awesome roller coasters!
Good Luck
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt,

I'm originally from the Buckeye State. Here's a backpacking and hiking group to get you connected:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiobph/

Bill
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sweet! Thanks for the ideas and the links! My fiancée is from Cleveland, so she has a list a mile long of places she wants to take me. Hocking Hills is on that list.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, sorry to hear you'll be leaving AZ so soon, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of new areas to checkout in the East.

Tell Liz congrats on the promotion!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, I am going to miss your desert trip reports, sense of discovery and fine images. You will just have to use the Out of State section to show us what is out that way.

Que tenga un buen viaje.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My goodness Matt.... The best of luck to you and your fiance. This was a quick change, but hopefully it will all be a Good Change. I'm sure you'll find lots of new places to venture and explore. Just keep posting to the site and let us know what you find and explore. Will miss you, even if I've only met you a few times
You'll just have to come back to AZ to do some vacationing... Mr. Green

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
RC

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
Sweet! Thanks for the ideas and the links! My fiancée is from Cleveland, so she has a list a mile long of places she wants to take me. Hocking Hills is on that list.

So you already have a local guide, that's cool!
I went to college in Athens, less than an hour from Hocking Hills, it's beautiful down there, especially in the fall. You'll have to post some photos if you get out there this Oct.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/3/2008, 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that is a biggie! HOLY COW! New Philly, eh? I had a longterm boyfriend who was from there. His dad taught marching band at the high school, and my friend was valedictorian. And everyone calls it New Philly.

People are telling you there's a rock climbing place and a backpacking group. But the first thing I thought of was rivers and kayaking. There has to be some of that around there, too. And caving. (Ask RedRoxx about that--she may have connections.) And cross country skiing in winter. Oh, and mountain biking. I'll bet there are at least some dirt roads. Road biking, too. If there is any non-motorized outdoor club in New Philly I would bet it would be a road bike club.

Plus, in summer you can grow a totally amazing vegetable garden there. You don't have to fight with blistering heat or erect a sunshade over it or pay a $300 water bill (more than the veggies are worth) to make it happen, either.

All in all, if it were me I would miss the West, not just Arizona. But I would try to find everthing fun there is to do, and network with people, like on that yahoo group, because in that small town I don't think you will find a whole lot of non-motorized outdoor sports nuts.

Well, good luck in your new adventure! And don't be scarce around here!

Elizabeth
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/3/2008, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good luck to you Matt, a pleasure to have run into you in the Galiuros Ash Creek. I have enjoyed your excellent photography and climbing trips especially--- Wink
Someday I need to get serious about that.
Yes, I think of the country back there I think of fall and spring foliage, and caves, some good vertical ones back there. If at all interested go to NSS's website and locate a caving grotto near you; go to a meeting or two then get underground. Being a climber I would think you might like "wild" caving.

Best to you and Liz and don't be a stranger around here!!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/3/2008, 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Elizabeth,

Yeah, I've already taken to calling it New Philly. We might live in one of the million small(er) towns around New Philly. It depends on where we can find a house. And we plan on having a garden. My parents have a large, very successful garden at their house in PA, so we'll ask them for tips.

My fiancée says that the rock climbing at Hocking Hills is lame. That's fine by me; my brother and I will probably meet up often in West Virginia to climb. Also the Red River Gorge in Kentucky is only a few hours away.

There better be good mtn biking there! I went to Flagstaff 2 weekends ago and rode the sweetest trails I've ever been on in my life! It sucks to move away now! New Philly has a mtn bike park; which hasn't been hyped in internet forums I've read on the subject, but I'll take what I can get. I've already researched the mtn biking in the area, and I found some sweet sounding trails. Plus, some You Tube videos that looked cool.

I was planning on buying a large inflatable raft with a hard floor and a motor. Then when I saw all of the surrounding rivers and creeks I thought I should get a kayak. I've decided that I will be acquiring both.

I better get a job as soon as I get there!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/3/2008, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
Good luck to you Matt, a pleasure to have run into you in the Galiuros Ash Creek. I have enjoyed your excellent photography and climbing trips especially--- Wink
Someday I need to get serious about that.
Yes, I think of the country back there I think of fall and spring foliage, and caves, some good vertical ones back there. If at all interested go to NSS's website and locate a caving grotto near you; go to a meeting or two then get underground. Being a climber I would think you might like "wild" caving.

Best to you and Liz and don't be a stranger around here!!

Awesome Letty!

Thanks! It has been a pleasure to meet you on several occasions as well. I will definitely look into the caving thing. I always like to meet new people, so whatever I can do to make that happen is good.

I probably won't get a chance to shoot fall foliage this year. As soon as we move there, we're getting married, and then off to the honeymoon. When we get back it'll almost be November.

I promise I won't be a stranger. I love this site too much!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/3/2008, 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Matt & Liz -- Congratulations & best wishes. and keep in touch.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/3/2008, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Matt, you too!? Holy cow! We are loosing our youth!!!! Looks like us oldsters are gonna ave to keep kickig to keep things going aroud here! Seriously, best of Luck to you and Liz! I too have lived in Ohio but never made it out of the city and I don't have aythig good to say about those areas....but I know once you get out of the city Ohio can be lush rolling green hills and endless beauty! Cogratulations to Liz on the promotion!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: