ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Burning Man?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/30/2007, 9:04 am    Post subject: Burning Man? Reply to topic Reply with quote

CBS Sunday Morning (in my opinion some of the best netwook TV) did a piece on the Burning Man . . . what would you call it . . . . festival?

Anyway, I'm thinking this is a "must-do" thing in a full life. Has anyone ever been to it?
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/30/2007, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Burning Man??? Sounds dangerous... What is it?

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
IGO

PostPosted: 9/30/2007, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Devon kept trying to drag me over there but I'm to old. : ) I've been reading about it though. I would have died to go pre-25.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/30/2007, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw the Man burn in the mid 90's. Takes place on the Black Rock desert. Temporary community with everyone participating and the sky and your creativity is the limit. More like a huge sex, drug and rock and roll party. Hopefully it's been cleaned up a little. There are some incredible "thinkers" out there that put their plans into motion at the site.
It was too many people and too much going on for me, so I haven't really wanted to go back. It was cool rolling across the Playa in my Jeep, on a no road for miles.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/30/2007, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My brother went last year and wants to go again next year. There's some pretty cool artwork, artistic exhibits, and people wandering around. There's only a couple of problems. First, the fine sand whipped by winds coming across the playa gets into everything. The second, there's really no law there. My brother's bicycle was stolen. When he reported it to the "security" folks they replied that the bicycle was just on a different adventure. Some of the folks there are great though. A couple camped near my brother were leaving and GAVE him a bicycle, a really nice one. Anyway, the attendance in the the tens of thousands now so the best way to think of it is "old west". The only justice is whatever you provide for yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: