ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Wines for Group Dinners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/25/2007, 12:36 pm    Post subject: New Wines for Group Dinners Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is what's needed for our next dinner al fresco .

Wal-Mart announced that, sometime in 2007, it will begin offering customers a new discount item ---- Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with Ernest & Julio Gallo Winery of California to produce the spirits at an affordable price in the $2 - $5 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to put a bottle of Wal-Mart brand into their shopping carts, but "there is a market for inexpensive wine," said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at the University of Arkansas. "But the right name is important." Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the Wal-Mart wine brand. The top surveyed names in order of popularity were:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc
9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
7. World Championship Riesling
6. NASCARbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
3. I Can't Believe it's not Vinegar
2. Grape Expectations
1. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).

P.S. Don't bother writing back that this is a hoax. I know possum is not a white meat.

Sooo, Hooli will bring the rare tri-tip of squirrel and Todd'll fetch the possum, eh?
IGO

PostPosted: 9/25/2007, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think your story was just swill! Razz
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 9/25/2007, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh HECK! This was a good laugh. I love all of those names......just so long as the wine is packaged on the appropriate brown paper bag. Send me a case!
aspen_oaks

PostPosted: 9/25/2007, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Squirrel is delicious.....nothing like a good 'ol bowl of squirrel and dumplin's...........mmmmmmm
Suz

PostPosted: 9/26/2007, 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

aspen_oaks wrote:
Squirrel is delicious.....nothing like a good 'ol bowl of squirrel and dumplin's...........mmmmmmm

Okay Mr. Oak Tree.........I know you are a single guy and all but your dining habits are a bit alarming. (haven't I read that you eat bugs, crawdads, and now squirrels and dumplin's Wacko ) We might have to pitch in and get you a gift card to a grocery store or something. Rolling Eyes
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/26/2007, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, I've heard squirrel tastes just like chik'n Mr. Green squirrel and dumplin's with white gravy, how's that sound Laughing

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
lzyboy

PostPosted: 9/27/2007, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Monty Python also did a critique of some Australian table wines that you might enjoy:

"A lot of people in this country (the U.K.) pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit."
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/28/2007, 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I prefer squirrel sauted in olive oil. Dumplings are just too fattening! Rolling Eyes

My boys used to hunt squirrels every fall. So I know what I'm talking about. People tell me that our Arizona squirrels don't taste nearly as good as those in the eastern woods. They taste sort of piney. They don't eat enough acorns, and too many pinecone seeds.

I, too, have eaten crawdads. Just this past summer we went for crawdads, in fact. I have also eaten mountain lion, elk, deer, javelina, antelope. Also goat and bull testicles. But not rattlesnake. Anyone who's serving rattlesnake please invite me so I can taste it.

As for wines, I prefer the tin cup dipped in a clear creek of running water, sans filtering or purification tablets. That's about as adventurous as I'll get with drinking!
srlatty

PostPosted: 9/28/2007, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
People tell me that our Arizona squirrels don't taste nearly as good as those in the eastern woods. They taste sort of piney. They don't eat enough acorns, and too many pinecone seeds.

Since moving to MN, I've got plenty of squirrels! I'm thinking they might taste a little better since most of the ones I see are eating apples out of the tree in my yard! Hmmm, apple fed squirrel, a little NASCARbernet, a couple of Coleman lanterns and satelite TV with the NFL package. I think I know what my Sunday is gonna be like!!! rofl
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/28/2007, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

srlatty wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:
People tell me that our Arizona squirrels don't taste nearly as good as those in the eastern woods. They taste sort of piney. They don't eat enough acorns, and too many pinecone seeds.

Since moving to MN, I've got plenty of squirrels! I'm thinking they might taste a little better since most of the ones I see are eating apples out of the tree in my yard! Hmmm, apple fed squirrel, a little NASCARbernet, a couple of Coleman lanterns and satelite TV with the NFL package. I think I know what my Sunday is gonna be like!!! rofl

Rich would be more than happy to catch them squirrels for you; in fact, he'd probably bring the first one he caught to you, very proud to share his hard caught meal. After you took it away from him though, the next one would take some work to get away from him. That's the way it was with Lady; first one she caught she brought right to me, "Hey! Look! I caught us a nice warm meal!" I took it away from her, bagged it and tossed it in the trash. From then on, it'd take me 5 to 10 minutes of keeping her moving so she couldn't eat it before she'd finally give it up. She caught a dozen or so in the hills around Mt. Diablo in Walnut Creek where all my pups ashes are scattered.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: