ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Havasu Falls Article
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your last sentence pretty much sums it up for me.

I too had a good experience there, but with the amount of research I do I know what to expect of a place and what the "bad" things are before going there.

I would just hate for someone to go there not being prepared to see any of those things and expecting the lush tropical paradise blue water retreat you write about.

But your write, not too many papers want to publish an article trash talking a place like that. I guess thats about the only thing good (in my I's) backpacker has published this year.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/20/2007, 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, Backpacker is not known for deep or insightful outdoor journalism. We generally look to Outside to provide that. But in recent years BP has had a few really good, well-researched, well-written pieces. I recollect the one about the poor guy who kept a diary as he lay dying in Montana, his leg pinned by a huge boulder.

As for myself, (in my own defense, I suppose you could say) I just started submitting articles in January of this year. This is the fifth one I have had published. Two different publications, both here in the White Mtns. I'm very new to the game. At first, I didn't even know the format one is supposed to use in submitting an article and photographs to a newspaper. And before I submit anything to a large-circulation magazine you'd better believe I'm going to research the best methods for query letter and article submissions. And also I'll research what the particular publication wants. For example, if you read Arizona Highways I don't think you are going to find very many articles about Havasu Falls that mention dogs, trash, filthy bathrooms, graffiti or drunken Indians. That magazine doesn't want anything that isn't "nice."
threedogz

PostPosted: 9/20/2007, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't been there yet, I wanted to go next year. But I don't like to be around a dumpy trashy environment that is unsanitary. I have heard this from others as well.

Oh, and I only take my dogs on a hike that I already have been on to make sure it is safe for them. I don't do that for my significant other though... Rolling Eyes
IGO

PostPosted: 9/20/2007, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
I haven't been there yet, I wanted to go next year. But I don't like to be around a dumpy trashy environment that is unsanitary. I have heard this from others as well.

Oh, and I only take my dogs on a hike that I already have been on to make sure it is safe for them. I don't do that for my significant other though... Rolling Eyes

Yeah. I just can't make myself go to this place either. Just can't do it.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
mmacmike

PostPosted: 9/20/2007, 7:13 pm    Post subject: WOW!!!!!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW I can't believe what I'm reading. My wife and I in March are heading out to Vegas to do the Red Rock Canyon 1/2 marathon and then we're driving to Moab to do the Moab 1/2 marathon the following week. We also were talking about doing a river trip or possibly heading down to Havasu Falls. After hearing this I'm getting second doubts about a place I always thought was secluded and a wonder to see. I knew it was popular among hikers and canyon goers but never thought it was like what I'm hearing now. Makes me sad to think this. Where can one go in this shrinking USA to "fit in with nature" without being overwhelmed with human destruction? Sad
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/20/2007, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WOW!!!!!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmacmike wrote:
Where can one go in this shrinking USA to "fit in with nature" without being overwhelmed with human destruction? Sad

Not an Indian Reservation thats for sure.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go there, but think of it as if you are visiting a Third World country. Then you won't be so disappointed. Besides, if you hike below Mooney Falls you get away from all that. The tribal members rarely go down that far. If you are a really fit marathoner you should be able to do a dayhike down to the Colorado River. That is an awesome hike which takes all day from the campground. I've done it a couple of times and really recommend it. You can't camp below Mooney Falls, though, you are required to camp in the tribal campground. Once you get a little ways below Mooney Falls you are in Grand Canyon Nat'l. Park and off of tribal lands.

March can be a bad month to go there, though. If there is a big rain or snowstorm happening it will flood the trail, the campground and the village. It happens every year. You need to watch the weather forecast.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
If you hike below Mooney Falls you get away from all that. The tribal members rarely go down that far.

Only the ones going to murder Japanese tourists.

The analogy to a 3rd world country is pretty good though.
mmacmike

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks azbackpackr for the Information. This will be our first time down in the canyon. I've been to the south rim twice hiking and I've done a lot of hiking over by grand canyon west where they built that skywalk eyesore. From what I'm told one is not allow to hike in that area cause it's private property owned by the Indian tribe "I have yet to get caught". Here's another question what's phantom ranch like down there? haven't been there yet but, I've alway's thought it to be that secluded little place at the bottom of the canyon with cool people coming down to stay the night on their hiking adventures.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, always stick together, never hike alone, never leave anything valuable laying around camp when you take off to hike. Hike below Mooney, it is a beautiful place. You will run into people but not like closer to camp.... Go and enjoy it. Don't miss it. It is indeed one of the more beautiful places in the world....if you go with the right attitude you can enjoy it and appreciate it for what God intended it to be before man got ahold of it!

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wise counsel Diane, go and enjoy.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:
If you hike below Mooney Falls you get away from all that. The tribal members rarely go down that far.

Only the ones going to murder Japanese tourists.

That was Navajo Falls. Rolling Eyes

I'd have to agree with Diane, it is still worth visiting. Close your eyes (ok maybe not both of them) as you pass through the village, consider the campground an overcrowded scouting jamboree, but go and enjoy the Falls.

Hike down to Mooney and the entire mess (or at least 97.5% of it) from above disappears. Continue on towards the Colorado, the hike to Beaver Falls is like no other hike in AZ, it's surreal, beauty at it's finest.

Just consider the reservation as an unpleasant minor obstacle (most every journey has a few) to a mighty fine destination! Much like the rest of the Grand Canyon, it is worth seeing! Ok

That's my 2 cents.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang it i got my falls mixed up.

As much as I put the place down it's still an awesome place to check out. You know what to expect now and thats the only point I wanted to make. If you expecting a clean remote wilderness thats not what your going to get and you'll be disappointed.

If you get in the mindset that your visiting a 3rd world country with some beautiful waterfalls, I think you'll enjoy it more.

I will probably go back myself, would like to actually. I didn't do the hike down to the river last time, just down to Beaver falls. Schedule 3 days to really enjoy and explore the place, 2 is not enough.

I don't really even consider it "Grand Canyon", although I know it is. Everyone who says "Oh I'm going hiking in the Grand Canyon" and then they say they are going to Havasupia, I just kind of laugh under my breath. It is NOT like the Grand Canyon.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmacmike wrote:
Here's another question what's phantom ranch like down there? haven't been there yet but, I've alway's thought it to be that secluded little place at the bottom of the canyon with cool people coming down to stay the night on their hiking adventures.

The over development of the west made it a place overcrowded with non-hikers taking mule trains there and lots of other tourists.

There are PLENTY of places to hike in the canyon where you may not see a person the length of your hike. Phantom Ranch, Bright Angel Trail or South Kaibab trails are not any of them. Great places, bad like Havasupia could be, just a lot of people.
mmacmike

PostPosted: 9/21/2007, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

COOL thanks everyone!!!! now all I have to do is be patient and wait til march lol lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: