ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Havasu Falls Article
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 4:12 am    Post subject: Havasu Falls Article Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's an article about Havasu Falls in the White Mountain Outdoors Magazine. Some of you may know the writer:

http://www.special-sections.com/sections/997/index13.html

Very Happy
Suz

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats you writer you! A nice published piece with photos to boot!----great to add to your resume!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, thanks, gee that was quick!! Did you notice they cut off the last sentence? I have found that does happen sometimes. As I recall (without taking time to open Word and look) I was going to say to be aware that summer is extremely hot, and that spring and fall are best seasons to go there.
Suz

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are you kidding----they want crowds year round...........perhaps that's why they cut it off!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm just surprised that WM Outdoors would print it, because it's not about the White Mtns. But they had printed GC articles before, so I went ahead and submitted it. I had no good fall colors photos on digital from the White Mtns. but will get some this fall during my hikes, to use in next fall's issue.

The magazine comes out quarterly, each season. I have plenty of cross country skiing material and photos to use for the winter edition. So I'm not worried about that one!

What I really need to do is get off my lazy *** and write something to be submitted to a bigger publication, such as Backpacker Magazine or AZ Hwys, or even one of the big AZ newspapers. I printed out a list of writers' and photographers' guidelines for Backpacker from their website. It is really amusing to read. They will not accept any photos that show any gear that is more than 5 years old! Might make their advertisers look bad--that wouldn't be good, you know. I had better make sure my 1975 frame pack is way out of sight! I'll have to start using my new internal frame one, alas. And I had better not be wearing those Marine Corps issue cami pants in any photos! Or that old T-shirt that reads: "Buy a gun, piss off a liberal." They also will not print any photos of anyone wearing jeans or tennis shoes! They will also not print any articles about what they call "front range" hikes. I guess they have some way to determine if your article is about a "front range" hike or not?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way cool Elizabeth! Soon we can all start saying "I knew her when..." You'll be a famous outdoor writer in no time! Thanks for sharing with us! Make sure you let us know when you make Backpacker!

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, thanks! I do appreciate the encouragement! I have been lazy of late, need to get busy. I really think I should aim for AZ Republic or AZ Daily Star (Tucson paper) next. Sort of like stepping stones....
IGO

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way cool. Nice read.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you Robert. I had better get off-line. I'm getting a puffed head here. Mr. Green
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll echo all the comments already made! Send something to Backpacker magazine; maybe they would be interested too!
mmacmike

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 9:29 am    Post subject: congratulations!!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW congratulations!!!!!! Great read Elizabeth.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats! Very Happy
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth,

I do like the article and congrats for getting it published. It was very well written, sure made me want to go check it out.

But honestly the place is a DUMP, unsanitary, overcrowded, dogs and horses running wild, trash everywhere, heck even dangerous. Your article leads no incite to any of that. You know what it's like down there. Even going to say you find a nice camp spot with privacy. Now I'm not saying that there are not a few "private" spots down there, but the high percentage of campsites there are right on top of each other.

I just think that to someone who may not do that much research to come across your article, they will certainly be disappointed that they weren't warned about the downfalls to the area.

-TIM-
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Cool Elizabeth! Congratulations.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/19/2007, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your kind words.

HOWEVER, Tim is probably right, though. My article does have a bit of a "travelogue" feel to it. But if you ask my daughter, Rose, about it, she'll say she didn't care too much about my article because just reading some words does not give her the feeling she had when she was there. I don't think she is remembering dogs, trash, or drunken Indians when she's thinking of Havasupai. She's thinking about swimming behind Havasu Falls, and swimming in Navajo Falls and swimming in the chain of pools below Mooney, and surviving the climb down the ladders, etc.

I've been there quite a few times and have seen some uglies. Which I didn't feel like writing about for this particular magazine. But I really have never personally had a bad experience there. I have had lots of good experiences, including going to the village and talking to the people there. I realize things may be getting worse there. I read the article in Backpacker Magazine, etc.

Speaking of which, I have repeated this over and over again, I'm saying it again: NEVER TAKE YOUR DOG TO HAVASU FALLS. I witnessed a tourist's large beautiful Golden Retriever become paralyzed by being attacked by tribal dogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: