ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Arnold
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/8/2003, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HELL YES

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/9/2003, 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I deny I'm a native born Californian!

My daughter's having fits right no, calling Arnold a sexist woman groping pig!
Wonder what others with daughters think? I would not have voted for him.
Would liked to have seen Peter Uberroth(sp) stay in the race. Proven executive ability and said he'd forego governor's salary.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 10/9/2003, 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I deny I'm a native born Californian!

My daughter's having fits right no, calling Arnold a sexist woman groping pig!

Well, someone at CNN has an interesting opinion on the subject.

The LA Times is certainly upset (registration required - sorry - but it's worth it to see the headline)

The Europeans are definitely peeved about it - specifically the French.

Then there are some excellent op eds about it.

One of the most interesting things I have read (no reliable source yet) was that in Gray Davis's re-election bid in 2002, he gained 3.47 million votes. Arnold just won 3.69 million votes. The vote to recall Davis garnered 4.36 million. Sounds like Californians were REALLY upset at Davis.

Oh, and Gary Coleman did surprisingly well apparently:
Peter Ueberroth, Republican (21,808 votes); Larry Flynt, Democrat (15,245); Gary Coleman, Independent (12,584).

UPDATE: another good article about the election (BTW - I don't necessarily recommend reading the whole thing - dude is a bit long winded and it isn't entirely about the recall election) Money quote:

Quote:
Yesterday the citizens of the State of California performed a coup without firing a shot, and equally important, the government didn't resist it. On the contrary, the government ran the election by which that coup was implemented, and counted the votes honestly, and its leader accepted the result.

The fact of the recall itself is far more important than the details of why it took place. It could just as easily have been a recall of a conservative governor to be replaced by a liberal. If, two years from now, the citizens of California decide to recall Schwarzenegger so as to replace him with Barbara Streisand, then she'll become our governor.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 10/9/2003, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Orin Hatch announced that he's going to sponsor a bill that eliminates the requirement for the president of the US to have been born in the US....that scares the hell out of me.

I think it's funny that the same people that criticized Clinton for his womanizing seem to have no problem with Arnold doing it...at least will Clinton it was consentual...it just makes me chuckle how each side can twist the story or their perception of reality to fit their needs.

Oh, and the Cubs will be in the world series.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 10/10/2003, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's also funny how the same people who were saying that special counsel shouldn't prosecute the president, are now saying that special counsel should be prosecuting the president.

It is all the same story - you bash the party that isn't yours. It's okay for something bad to happen to your enemy (after all they deserve it and it is legal), but when the same bad thing happens to you it is no longer a good thing (because you obviously don't deserve it and it should now be illegal).

When has the back and forth like this NOT been the case, and do you honestly foresee in the future that things will change?

Politics as usual; which is why I hate politics.

However, I will say that as messed up as all this is - it pales in comparison to the hypocrisy of international politics.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/10/2003, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would be kind of cool, a president with a green card!

Slight difference, clinton did it in the white house, arnold alegedly did it years ago, not that it makes it right. If he did it he should be punished. It just seems ironic that no one cared about his groping untill it looked like he was going to win the election. No one cared about it when T3 came out??? As an actor it was accepted???

Cubs will be in the series and will beat Boston.

PostPosted: 10/15/2003, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HELL YES for Arnie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: