ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rock Climbing Class for Beginners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 5:44 am    Post subject: Rock Climbing Class for Beginners Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd really like to do this class---not sure I can swing all the weekend days but was wondering if anyone else has interest.

I received a flyer for this class in Email yesterday. It was a PDF file and I'm not sure how exactly to post those so here is the text. If you want the flyer let me know and I can forward it in regular email.......I think.

Instruction (4 evenings, 3 weekend days) includes the basics of climbing equipment, climbing technique, knots, rappelling, belaying, and self-rescue.

The class fee is $160.00, plus $15.00 for membership, and covers equipment provided by the AMC and equipment that you get to keep including: a belay/rappel device, carabiners, prusik cords, climbing text and AMC membership for the remainder of the year.

Class Size is Limited to 40 - Reserve your spot now! Mail a $75.00 check, payable to the “AMC,” to: AMC Basic School 4325 E Desert Trumpet Rd Phoenix, AZ 85044 Applicants should provide, name, address, phone, e-mail address, waiver and membership form from webpage and check. www.amcaz.org - Since 1964 -

Fall 2007 - Class Schedule
• Oct 09 - Tue - 5:30 - 10:00 PM
• Oct 11 - Thu - 6:00 - 10:00 PM
• Oct 13 - Sat - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
• Oct 14 - Sun - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
• Oct 16 - Tue - 6:00 - 10:00 PM
• Oct 18 - Thu - 6:00 - 10:00 PM
• Oct 20 - Sat - All Day - Grad Climb

AMC Members Enjoy • Basic to advanced rock climbing training • Monthly meetings, outings • Special Annual Events: • Grand Canyon Cleanup • Thanksgiving at Joshua Tree NP • Camaraderie with other climbers • The Arizona Mountaineer newsletter
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My girlfriend and some of my friends used to belong to the AMC. They pretty much learned to climb in that club, so I think that you should go for it. Learning all the basics from people who know what they are talking about is really the way to go. Plus you might meet some cool people to go on future climbing trips with!
My girlfriend and I would be happy to take you climbing if you ever want to go. We go all the time; in fact I was climbing near Prescott all day Saturday.
Suz

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've gone climbing a couple of times but still really rely on the others I am with for knots and knowledge. I'd love to go with you guys but also think a full class would be good for me.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shoot I would like to do it, but can't do Tuesday nights. Sad
Suz

PostPosted: 9/11/2007, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it's only 2 tuesdays Tim............those saturdays make me crazy but I might just cough them up.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/11/2007, 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a class I will take but it'll have to wait until the next go around. I have a class for work in October that conflicts with this. I would like to do some outdoor stuff though.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/11/2007, 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I might just be able to squeeze this in --- Something I have wanted to do for a while
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/11/2007, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang that sounds fun.
azwoody

PostPosted: 9/11/2007, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i took this class several years ago
it's very informative
on sunday you do a lot of one pitch top-roped climbs in the mcdowell mountains, then the final saturday your graduation climb
i did "the hand" in the superstitions, which was a little exposed with a nice rappell
i should have followed up with the anchors class
almost feel like i need a refresher, since i've just been climbing indoors
anyway, i highly recommend the class
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: