ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Picket Post or Flatiron...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Picket Post or Flatiron? Which is tougher? (long run)
Flatiron
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Picket Post
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Picket Post or Flatiron... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Went on a hike up Picket Post yesterday and it proved to be very worthy of mention.

I can truly say that this hike is a bit more "hairier" than Flatiron. A bit more scrambling and actual climbing than the Flatiron depending on the route you take. I was a major "shutter-bug" on this hike. Joe's summation was a 2 at route finding. I beg to differ. Especially coming down (unless you were weened on this "hill"). The elevation is a tad lower, but ultra classic routes. Extremely scenic.

What is the consensus? Picket Post, or Flatiron? Which is better? I say Picket Post by a hair.

Great hike. Great views. Not too much further up 60 East.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe that Flatiron is much "tougher" because it climbs nearly 1000 feet more. As for route finding, Picket Post is harder. It usually takes me 1/3 longer for the ascent of Flatiron.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm. Interesting Sid. Maybe it being my first time, I felt PP to be the tougher of the two. I still think the scrambling up PP is a bit tougher, but I'm kind of wary of "drop-offs" as it is. It's actually only 700 ft more or so on FI. Seems more direct.

1/3 more for Flatiron eh? I'll bet if I found a "failsafe" route up and down, I would agree. It's definitely close though. You have to admit that at least.

Can I rent your stamina for a weekend? Neutral
ck1

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd agree with Sid. Flatiron is tougher b/c it's a bigger hike. Though route finding is a bit easier with the route following the canyon, whereas PP is more exposed. The climbing sections on PP are hairier than Flatiron, that's for sure. The exposure on Flatiron is minimal, save for that last notch before you top out, where on PP there's more of a potential for a fall.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Flatiron is tougher, but they are both great hikes.
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I'd agree with Sid. Flatiron is tougher b/c it's a bigger hike. Though route finding is a bit easier with the route following the canyon, whereas PP is more exposed. The climbing sections on PP are hairier than Flatiron, that's for sure. The exposure on Flatiron is minimal, save for that last notch before you top out, where on PP there's more of a potential for a fall.

And fall I did, last December the week after you did the hike Friday after Thanksgiving. I foolishly did it alone and on descent took a tumble that took my right knee to the extreme fold with my heel planted firmly in the right cheek. I believe I tore the maniscus slightly. It's the knee that hurt so bad at West Fork. Anyway, I haven't done the Flat Iron since 1972 and am so much looking forward to the upcoming Ridgeline hike. Since I don't remember anywhere as much scrambling on the Flat Iron, I'm going with Picket Post. Besides, it overlooks Superior where my parents met in highschool, and Picket Post was one of my dad's favorite hangouts when he was a kid. So there! Thats my vote.

BTW Colin, I'm on the second page in the nice red book you put in the box.
ck1

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:

I wonder how full that little book is...I haven't been up there in awhile.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Sid too. Flatiron!! I think Cactuscat,my daughter and I were some of the first to sign CK1 book he left there. We had taken one with us to replace the old, but CK1 already had.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also think the Flat Iron is a tougher hike. It has more elevation and more rock hopping. Picketpost does have a greater pucker factor with the exposures but the climb itself had less highstepping and bouldering than FI.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 11:20 am    Post subject: Picket Post by a hair, maybe. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom and I discussed this question after finishing PP. I'm thinking that PP is a hair tougher, but it probably depends a bit on how many times you've done each one. I've done both about the same number of times this year. PP has some good vertical sections, but I've whacked some routes up below the flatiron that are steeper.

Hey Tom, I set my personal best ascent time on PP on Saturday. I'm curious to see if I can equal it on the Flatiron by trail running the first third below the basin. I'll let you guys know. Jim.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Other than the "miniscule" faux-pas on the way down, how did that rate? We definitely took the "other" way down.

I'm curious.

Anyways, I don't call you "Sid Jr" for nothin' Wink
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
kurthzone wrote:

I wonder how full that little book is...I haven't been up there in awhile.

It's about a 1/3 full Colin. Some interesting artifacts in that mailbox! I didn't want to be an archaeologist and open that zip-lock. I just checked out what I could. The flag is hurting pretty good from the look of it. I didn't have time to hoof it over there, but it looks pretty dismal from a distance. I'm surprised someone (maybe the origininator) didn't right it for the 9/11 anniversary. Hat is off to whomever hauled it up there.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 11:57 pm    Post subject: PP flag/misc Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, it's too bad about the flag. Everytime I've been up there (and Larry, too), I've re-buttressed the pole with stones. But it was a big flag, a lightening rod and totally exposed to the wind. Think the Boy Scouts did it originally. Maybe another future Scout project.

Tom, I'll get you for that "Sid-Jr" crap; if anything, I'm the senior!
Jim.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/15/2003, 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How do you vote on this thing? If I could, I would vote that Picket Post is toughest, now that I have done both. I tired on picket Post and had to rest. Maybe it is because I haven't been "out there" as much as I would like and I am outta shape I don't know but I didn't once feel bad on the Flat Iron.... That's been a while ago.... maybe it's just like child birth and you forget the bad stuff and only remember the good stuff!

I want to shine!
Greg Jackson

PostPosted: 10/21/2003, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Flat Iron is definitely more difficult because you have to jockey around all the other traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: