ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sent our Camelbaks back...bummer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 2:02 pm    Post subject: Sent our Camelbaks back...bummer Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I'm sorry to say that after two replacement bladders, our Camelbaks (a total of two) were returned to the retailer. This after only two weeks of hiking. Very disappointed. I really liked the concept. I hope ours were the exception and not the rule. The weak area on these are the connection between the tube and bladder. Without to much trouble I could have "modified" them but, after spending $120.00 on them I felt I shouldn't
have to. It's back on the bottles for us...oh well.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go buy an MSR Dromedary bag, with the sucky tubes. End of leak problems, you can throw it in any pack, and thread the hose out the the top. I do this for day pack and back pack, after similar problems with Platypi bladders. You can stand on the Dromedary bag, vinyl (or something like it) impregnated canvas.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 4:16 pm    Post subject: bladders Reply to topic Reply with quote

SRedfield: I've benn very happy with MSR's stoves and fuel bottles. I've been hoping Backpacker would do a review of Bladders. I've had two platypuses (platipii??) develop seam leaks, which is disconcerting in your back with a down bag below Crying or Very sad

Can you freeze your Dromedary if not overfilled? Thanks. -Randy
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have two Camelbak bags, a Hawg and a Peak Bagger. The Hawg, which is about 5 years old, is on it's second bladder. So far, I haven't had any leaking problems with any of the bladders. I might check out the MSR bladders next time I need a new one.
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've had my Camelbak Mule for about 6 months and it has a small leak in the same place, where the bladder and tube meet. It didn't start until I partially filled it and froze it. I think the water froze in the tube and expanded. It doesn't leak very much and it is low on my back. Actually feels kind of good when it's hot out!
If it gets worse and I can't stop it, I will probably be in the market for another.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never thought of freezing one. All I care about the water is that it's wet. I would think freezing would put some strange pressures and strains on it, or anything for that matter.
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I've never thought of freezing one.

That was a suggestion on a discussion thread from our ex-leader Beam me up
Kinda like that alien, it reminds me of him. Here one minute, gone the next Exclamation
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I fill mine about 1/4 to 1/3 full and freeze it. I lay it flat with the tube side up in a way that there's no chance of the water expanding into the tube as it freezes. I normally don't put it in the freezer until just before I go to bed. So far, I've had no problems from doing this. I've never had any leaks.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm with Mike--kinda. I actually never freeze any fluid inside. The night before a hike; I fill my Camelbak bladder with ice and leave it in the freezer--hose side up just in case, and haven't ever had a leak. I have a few Camelbaks; the original, the Mule and the Peak Bagger--still have all three. None have ever leaked. Guess I've been lucky?!? Rolling Eyes
ck1

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've experimented with Platapus, Camelbak and Ultimate Direction Packs/bladders
Here's what I've learned:
Platapus bladders suck. There's a plastic taste, they "crinkle" then the seams leak.
Camelbak's have been fine, but I don't like the bladder, old version or the new one. Their right angle nozzle with the open/close valve are excellent.
Ultimate Directions far and away are the best. The roll top bladder is way cool and allows you to fill it with ice cubes straight from the refrig dispenser. The only downfall is the nozzle, which has a terrible design flaw that hasn't been corrected in 3 years. (a rubberband keeps the nozzle closed...if the band slips, it leaks...sucky!)

I've replaced the Ultimate Direction nozzle with the camelbak right angle one with the valve...so far, it's been an excellent system.

I usually keep it half filled with water in the fridge...then in the moring, top it off with ice...I've never considered freezing it...always thought it would eventually cause leaks...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was looking for another bladder in Dec. but could not find the Camelbak 70 and 100 oz bladders. I have a Blackburn 70 oz and have not had any problems with it. I don't freeze the bag, I fill with water the popsicle mold to make large ice popsicles and place them in my Blackburn.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 12:38 pm    Post subject: H2O bags Reply to topic Reply with quote

RockCrawler I suspect your problem with the CamelBack is the same as I had with my new one of late. The tubes are set on the bag at the factory and they may sit around for months like that. The tube is streched and will leak, mine came off. The solution for me was to cut half an inch off the tube and reconnect. This was a little problem when it came off on the trail and I lost a third of my water. But that was no problem as I carry a MSR bag with at least a gallon as well.

GTG
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have two Camelbak 100oz bladders, which I freeze all the time and have had no problems with leakage.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a zip top platypus, which I have used and abused for years without any problems. I also carry a 4 litre MSR Dromedary bag which seems to be indestructable.
tempe8

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Stand on your bladder! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had an off brand Bell hydration bag that had a screw on lid that would leak. I then bought a 3L Platypus and have never had a leak in two years of use! I also use it for mountain biking and have had it go "over the top of the bars" with me on some treacherous trails and still no leaks.

Today I got back from a hike, read this thread and someone mentioned Platypus bladders leaking and someone else mentioned the ability to "stand on their bag". Well I believed so much in my Platypus that I filled it back up 2/3's full, went out on the patio...and gingerly stood my full weight (160lbs) on top of the bag...no leaks, no breakage. What more can you ask for? I'd give it my full endorsement.

Oh yes, the best part? The Platypus Hoser 3L system only costs $20 (vs. $30 for the others) and if you need a replacement bag or hose they sell them seperately and for only $11! Not that you'd need a replacement from leaking though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: