ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Digital Photos NOW accepted at Arizona Highways!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Digital Photos NOW accepted at Arizona Highways!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woohoo, they're making the move! I just got the email today. It's been a long time in coming.

Here is the email.
DIGITAL SUBMISSIONS TO ARIZONA HIGHWAYS
Many of you have been waiting a long time to hear this bit of news. Arizona Highways magazine is also now accepting digital submissions! Some people are unclear about the submitting process, so let us help demystify it a little.

Arizona Highways regularly deals with two types of photographers: Stock photographers who submit their work in response to the magazine’s subject needs and stock calls for "related products" (books, calendars, cards, etc.); and commissioned photographers who produce work on assignment, submitting photography that is specific to stories scheduled for publication in the magazine.

The photo editors review a lot of great images that are rejected because they do not meet their current subject needs. Random submissions of photographs, no matter how good, are understandably hard for them to place in a story-driven magazine such as Arizona Highways. If unaccompanied by a story, photos you submit will most likely only be considered for related products items. It's very hard to break into the magazine this way. Better to inquire about current stock subject needs and submit only photos targeting those needs. If they see high-quality images in your stock submissions and consistency in your ability to get unique views of Arizona’s scenic attractions, you have a better chance of getting work published and becoming a regular contributor.

Arizona Highways has high standards for the photography they publish, so they require all contributors to adhere to the specifics of their submission guidelines. We've posted a couple of PDF files on our website for you to download.

Arizona Highways Digital Submission Guidelines (revised August 20, 2007)

The Universal Photographic Digital Imaging Guidelines ("UPDIG" version 2.0). These are the basis for the Arizona Highways Digital Submission Guidelines. UPDIG provides clear, concise definitions and establishes standards for digital file management and digital workflow.

Both can be found here:
http://www.friendsofazhighways.com/faq.htm#submit2

You can increase your chances of getting your work published in the magazine by following the guidelines precisely. If they ask for something at a particular size, give it to them at EXACTLY that size. If they have naming and format conventions, deliver files that meet those expectations. Like our own organization, they see thousands of photos every year, and those that don’t meet minimum requirements are easy for a photo editor to simply discard.

To get up-to-date stock subject needs, please send a BRIEF email to Director of Photography Peter Ensenberger or Photography Editor Jeff Kida with your request:

PEnsenberger@azdot.gov

JKida@azdot.gov

Good luck!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There goes the neighboorhood. Rolling Eyes

GTG
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bet they are very very picky about what is acceptable -- I bet they will want to see RAW files...and your interpretation of the color saturation, sharpness etc.
Suz

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
There goes the neighboorhood. Rolling Eyes

GTG

I personally know some fabulous digital photographers that capture amazing stuff. Some of those folks have frequented this site and are members here. At times the stuff in Arizona Highways appears a little stale and they pull old archived stuff. We also have some great writers in the group. Let's encourage them!

I enjoy my monthly subscription to Arizona Highways and have for years but I agree it's time to change a few things, move along with technology and give some new artists the opportunity to share.

I know one of our members is already involved in a project to help Arizona Highways and their future photographers. Maybe she'll share a little insight to her project????? Rolling Eyes
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't wait to see some of you published!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: