ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I may never fly again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 12:07 pm    Post subject: I may never fly again Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holy. Crap.

I wonder how that looked/sounded to the folks inside the plane.

Now, can anyone explain how 100 trillion (million million) watts can hit a plane and nothing happens to the electronics inside, and somehow danger abounds in the presence of just a few microwaves when I use my cell-phone, or (heaven forbid) my iPod?

Maybe this explains it:

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You think that's scary.......what if you were onboard and ate your spent fuel rod chili just before takeoff??? KaBloooey
jdahling

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I fly a lot for work - fortunately nothing like this has ever happened to me.

Although, since I've not eaten the chili just before takeoff - perhaps I wouldn't know! Laughing

I have to imagine that it is still safer than Arizona roads and our crazy drivers.

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hnak

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, the explanation is pretty mundane... The risk of cell phones and other electronic in the airplane isn't that they will hurt anyone, it's just that they might interfere with some of the plane's instrumentation. If you're flying is lousy weather, through mountainous terrain, you want all the equipment to be functioning properly.... Well, actually you'd want it to perform properly ALL the time!

Yep, flying is still much safer than driving....
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maybe I'm too demanding but I'd kinda like the planes to be designed so that a cell phone wouldn't interfere with it. However, there is a worse alternative. Imagine being on a 2 hour flight next to someone talking on their cell phone!! Eek
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
Maybe I'm too demanding but I'd kinda like the planes to be designed so that a cell phone wouldn't interfere with it. However, there is a worse alternative. Imagine being on a 2 hour flight next to someone talking on their cell phone!! Eek

That's reason alone to ban phones on planes!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't believe all this cell phone crap. If they were that detrimental they wouldn't be allowed on board. Can anyone explain the technology that makes them a hazard? The same with hospitals. Is there really some danger? The last two times I've been in a hospital I've seen patients, doctors and nurses blabbing away on their cells. What's up? I do believe the satire in the cartoon is apropos.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/31/2007, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Stan, stop making sense! Everything is dangerous! Fingernail clippers and toothpaste can bring down a plane! (The preceding was satire.)

Really though, I haven't found any hospital equipment that was affected by a cell phone. I think hospital lawyers make that call though to help defend against lawsuits. If cell phones were allowed in surgical areas, that could become the basis for a lawsuit when someone has a poor outcome. Lawyers have made fortunes with less credible theories.
RC

PostPosted: 9/2/2007, 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have satellite and cell phones on all of our a/c and they are used in flight. I doubt anything would ever happen, but I suppose there's a chance that a plane full of 150 people using all types of different electronic devices could interfere with instrumentation (as Hank mentioned) or worse could interfere with the signals the instruments receive for approach guidance. That would be worse case scenario.
My $.02
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
Hey Stan, stop making sense!

Talking Heads?
fritzski

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've flown for America West/USirways for 18 years and I can tell you on any given flight there are numerous pasengers who forget to turn off their phones, although I could never imagine one of the pilots ever forgetting... Rolling Eyes

It's no big deal. The rule stemmed from an ultraconservative FAA dealing with new technology way back when. The fear was possible interference with aircraft instrumentation. This is why they request that ALL electronic devices be turned off prior to approach and landing. Very low risk of interference, but always better safe than sorry.

Since then the FAA has recently considered dropping the cell phone ban during cruise, but never did for fear of creating an obnoxious environment in the confines of the cabin.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fritzski. good to see you.
IGO

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fritzski wrote:

Since then the FAA has recently considered dropping the cell phone ban during cruise, but never did for fear of creating an obnoxious environment in the confines of the cabin.

Take would be a mess.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awsesome new avatar IGO!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Awsesome new avatar IGO!

Looks like his glasses are growing a beard! Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: