ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Excerpts from Hikers Journals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 8/29/2007, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It seems like a thousand years to me Hank. I lived in Georgia then.
I'd love to take a bunch through there again but this time people I know and know would survive it. LOL.
I read the journal from that trip tonight. Everything comes back in flashes when I read what I wrote then. Freezing my ass off while every body gets a tiny shot of Moet or Dom or whatever it was at New Years. 5 of 16 made it to the river. Sheeez.....
Oh yeah, you got knighted "Hnak" on that trip didn't you?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Hnak

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, it was Bill Speers who declared that 'Hnak, of the Canyon' would be a fitting title. It has been shortened a bit since then for editorial reasons...

I wonder if I should contact Deborah about this hike? Tilt would be a hoot! Never did hear anything from Ani after the hike... Ahhh, what memories...
IGO

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw some post from Deborah at Backpacker but I didn't get a responce when I tried to reach her that way.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a long running series of photographic journals of the hikes. Sometimes more writing and sometimes more images. I'll include various info and observations. This not only creates mini portfolios but a chronological record of where to look for image files years later. It is also good to have GPS coordinates of exact places that I want to return to in time. There are some very weird and wonderful things out there and my memory will not be good enough without these journals. I recently found an exotic sundial (that was dead accurate) out in a very remote area and I could tell someone mounts a pilgrimage quite often. It must be a very special place for them. When you look for answers you need to keep track of routes and details especially if you seldom follow tracks or trails.

YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really like the photo jopurnal idea. Thanks for sharing.
IGO

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I sync my digital camera with my GPS for time stamps for the same reasons.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YH wrote:
I really like the photo jopurnal idea. Thanks for sharing.

If you place dates in the entries then it makes a time stamp. I also put dates on my DVDs that I burn and list the contents on the front cover that I make myself, sort of like a music album cover. In the journal, I only place the significant images that might be from 5% to 10% of what I shoot. As you all know by now, finding an image or set of images that you did several years ago can be a daunting journey but if you have kept up your journals and DVDs then you can find them quite quickly. There are always some good surprises, the images that didn't get worked up on the first go around. You work up so many and then the next project is upon you before you can entirely finish. Those are good for other times when you can catch a hour here or there.

In the field, I use a "field" journal to take notes but the story is not written until later evenings out of the wilderness and the images are added as the story goes down from the original notes. If the story goes long then most of that will go on CD but the overall sketch will be in the finished journal.

These days, I like the larger 5"x8" Moleskine ruled journals for this finish work but something lighter for the field like their small Cahier models. They come in sets of three.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen you must be so organized. I haven't unpacked my backpack from my Sierra trip 3 weeks ago yet. I do love the photo journal idea though!
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Glen you must be so organized. I haven't unpacked my backpack from my Sierra trip 3 weeks ago yet. I do love the photo journal idea though!

Now if I just had your strength and stamina. There are some super humans who hang out here and you are definitely one of them.

I carry my day pack with me always on the mapping thing so I can go when the chance appears. That and the photographic gear are well organized for speed of use. There are many things that are not so well organized like my domestic house and yard work. LOL
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW! That pen extends the leading line in the snow out to the 2nd picture ! awesome composition of the journals!

Great work Glenn. You document so well -- I wish I was more diligent...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: