ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Chocolate Falls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Falls Reply to topic Reply with quote

or Grand Falls, whichever...

Here's my question, I'm going to be in Winslow this w/e for the Standing on the Corner Festival (anyone else going??) and I would like to go see these "chocolate" falls. I got driving directions off the Winslow Chamber of Commerce website. It says that the road from the Grand Falls Bible Church to the Little Colorado is rough, and they recommend a high clearance or 4wd vehicle. Has anyone been here before?? Is it really that rough?? And if it is, does anyone know how long the road is?? Is it walkable for people that aren't hikers??

Thanks in advance...

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
ck1

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I stood on the corner in Winslow Arizona two summers ago, but I'd never heard of a chocolate falls. Sounds interesting.

"The Journey is the Destination"
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jaime: It usually only runs for about two weeks in the spring after snowmelt. In the fall it is usually dry. The "Rolling Rimrocks" John ans Susun, may know for sure. You could pm them or search haz for a thread on Grand Falls, that I recall from times past, which is it's correct name. -R
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ps= the road is passable with a high clearance 2wd if dry. If wet.......it's clay and knarly.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is a link to the photos from my weekend... had a blast.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jmzblond/lst?.dir=/WinslowFlagstaffWeekend&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/&.view=t

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Jaimi, glad you had fun.

WHen I hit your link it says the file is inaccessable. Could just be this piece of garbage I'm on now, will try from my home computer later.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was able to drive my Acura all the way to the falls and even across the Little Colorado w/o any troubles. But thank you for the info and suggestions.

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try this one Kent...

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jmzblond/lst?.dir=/WinslowFlagstaffWeekend

Looks like a fun time was had by all Jaimi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: