ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Hiking Pack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
plummer150

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 8:08 am    Post subject: New Hiking Pack Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looking to buy my first hiking backpack here. Would like to have one for about three nights. Any suggestions on what brand, how big, type, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ironman: Typically, external frames are cooler in high temperatures (like Az desert hiking) since they ride further from the back and permit more air flow. Internal frames are snugger, and afford better balance in tight quarters, which is why those doing canyoneering prefer them. I would take a large duffel bag and put into it all the gear and stuff you plan to carry on a three night trip: gear, first aid, clothes, tent, sleeping bag and most importantly, in AZ, your water containers; and take it to the store with you. It is hard to gauge the workability of a pack for your needs when wearing it empty. Different torso geometry, waist size, etc. makes it difficult to buy a pack via the internet, without trying one on first. I would try to wear it around the store for at least 30 minutes fully loaded (the pack, not you....). There are some brands available back east that we do not see much of here in Az, such as L.L.Bean, and EMS. In my experience, the brands I've been most impressed with for internal frames are Osprey, Dana Design, ArcTeryx, and Gregory. These are all fairly "Cadillac" priced packs, but I'm a real gearhead. I'm not nearly as impressed with REI's house brand, but they are a good value, dollar wise. I don't think Camp Trails, Kelty, and Jansport are real contenders any more as they were in the 60s and 70s.

Sometimes Sierra Trading Post, Bent Gate Mountaineering, and Northern Mountain Supply have good deals on the net, Sierra does a lot of "last year's model" closeouts. Most of these folks will let you return a pack before using it in the field. You might peruse the web site of Summit Hut (www.summithut.com) and see what they are offering this season. They are pricey, but will be selling only the top echelon of gear.

Packs can be somewhat subjective, depending on how much gear you carry. I've got a Gregory Forester model which is a real nice pack, but I wouldn't think of carrying it on a four day hike with a four season tent. I just carry a lot of stuff including tent, camera, large medical kit, stove and cookset. Those of the "ultralight" school may make do with a smaller volume pack. It's not unusual to see a multi-day hiker in Az carrying 4-6 liters of water (ouch!) while AT hikers may get by with two.

One last caution. The "sleeping bag compartment" of some full length packs is a tad small. This is why it's a good idea to test your bag in the back to be sure it fits, especially if you are using a bulkier synthetic bag. -Randy
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with everything Randy said. Except I would also throw MountainSmith packs into the list of great packs. A few outdoor magazines have been giving them some love lately as well.

Packs are just as personal as boots - and need to be adjusted properly and fitted to your back (internal and external). Personal taste will count for a lot, so try a lot on. If you can, load up a pack with some weight. Sandbags are okay, but they tend to ride low and shift around, so they're not entirely realistic feeling compared to a real load (except external frames - there is no difference there). Don't be shy about buying a pack, going home and loading it up, then walking around the house/neighborhood a little (just don't sweat on it too much) - then taking it back and trying out another one. REI is especially good about this.

Spend your time making a decision. You get what you pay for and the "Cacillac" packs are priced high because they are worth it. A good pack will last for a couple of decades if you treat it right.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
plummer150

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 11:20 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Catvalet and Daddee, thanks both for the great info on the packs. This gives me a great idea and great heads up on what I should look for and what to do next. Also, a lot of the places to buy packs around the east here are kinda "cheap". They don't put a lot of effort into selling the packs like they do in Arizona- I know this from experience from Az vs. Pa. Az has that nice huge REI outlet store there in Phoenix that I was at last time I was there. They also had a torso fitting guide so you would know what your torso was. None of that here, at least not that I know of. However, Cabelas just opened up its first store here in Hamburg, Pa; so I'm going to have to check that one out asap. So any suggestions on how I should figure out what my Torso is? Thanks again.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-detail.jhtml?detailedInformationURL=..%2F..%2F..%2Fcontent%2Fcommunity%2Faboutus%2Fretail%2Fretail_stores%2Fhamburg%2Fhamburg_grandopen.jhtml&metaTagId=hamburg
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another thing you might want to put into your equation: Do you ever see yourself doing something for more than 3 days? You want to be completely satisfied with what you got. You have to remember your not just shopping for this one backpacking trip, but you will have a backpack for more to come. What if you end up wanting to take 5 days or 7 days? Just a few things to think about. I concider this with anything I buy for a trip.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's how you fill the closet....I've got my Gregory for overnights, my Dana K-2 Loadmaster (a BEAST...it carried 82# to Havasupai... Amazed ) for multi-days, and my small Osprey for a day pack. -R
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:

That's how you fill the closet

I thought that large room on the front of your house, with the overhead doors, was called a "garage"!! Chin Scratching
Lizard

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
So any suggestions on how I should figure out what my Torso is?

Torso length is generally measured from the seventh vertebrae to the iliac crest. If you lean your head forward and feel the back of your neck, you should feel one bone that sticks out more than the others. That is your seventh vertebrae. Take a tape measure (it helps to have a friend doing this part for you) and run it down the length of your spine. If your friend draws an imaginary line connecting the tops of your hipbones, and stops the measurement at that point, you'll have your torso length. The tops of the hipbones are the iliac crest.

If you buy your pack in a store they will generally do this for you. Some store, esp. Popular, are not always that accurate about it, so it helps if you can do it yourself.
plummer150

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 1:43 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard, thanks for the torso fitting length. All info gathered was helpful. Agree
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be exceptionally wary of Caballas - they don't always carry the best quality stuff. If it isn't a recognizable brand, it could be a one-off or a knock-off and you'd never know the difference till it was too late.

As with most outdoor gear, find the people who do what you do (or are doing what you want to do) then ask them for recommendations (which you have done) - then listen to them. They tend to know what they are talking about.

Case in point - a hunter (i.e.: someone who would shop at Caballas) will not always be doing the same type of backpacking you will. They generally hike shorter distances as they are carying more gear, then set up a base camp and go from there. Backpackers go farther and lighter and camp from place to place. Very different in execution and requiring different styles of gear. Despite a hunter possibly carying more weight for a single trip, a backpacker will put more stress over time on a backpack with longer and more frequent trips.

I can't tell you how many crappy backpacks I've done triage surgery on in the field. And those folks were NOT happy when their packs broke - ruined the rest of the trip for them - sometimes ruining the trip for the rest of us that had to carry their stuff cause the pack was DOA.

Don't make others suffer.

Buy a decent backpack.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got another approach for you.

Seeing that you're from State College, Penn, I'll assume that you attend Penn State..

As a student, you have access to the Penn State Outing Club. The only reason I know about this is because the director, Ashley Sweda, used to work at my alma mater, Northern Illinois University (yep, the one in the top 20). Even if you aren't a student, there's probably a community member rental option available.

The Outing Club most likely rents outdoor equipment. I know the program Ashley used to run at NIU had a huge rental program, canoes to tents to packs to snowshoes, etc, etc, etc. Rentals were cheap, and the gear was, for the most part, quality. Ashley hired people that knew what they were talking about, my friend Tony worked for him for a number of years, as did I for a short time.

I'd suggest you head over to the Outing Club and see if they have a rental program where you can check out some quality packs before you make a purchase.

"The Journey is the Destination"
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

for anyone interested in-state. ASU has a similar program at the MU.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/30/2003, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes indeed. However, unless they've upgraded recently a lot of their equipment is pretty grungy. Fairly decent quality - just really well used.

- Abraham Lincoln
plummer150

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 9:18 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CK1, great idea, I never thought of that. In which case, I will have to look into that one now. Wink
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 10/1/2003, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think (read hope) they've upgraded the equipment, after all they keep hiking the MU user fees...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: